Traveler, Q, or other? Favorite LP portable grill…

I’ve said it before if my Q-320 went down it would be replaced that day. It’s a great grill.

Easily 12 years old and I think it can go another 5 no problem.
However, so there is no confusion, in my mind it is definitely not portable.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the true beauty of the Q3xxx is having quite a large grilling surface in an easy to store very compact footprint. Nearly the same as a Genesis surface size. Another thing I like is you don't have to bend down so far like you're cooking on something meant for a 5yo.

I thought this laid it out in layman's terms, post # 10 from Kent Perry.

My back of the envelope calculations:

Q1xx is slightly larger than a Smokey Joe in cooking size

Q2xx is about the size of an 18.5 cooker

Q3xx is about the size of a 22.5 cook surface.

I have a 1st Generation Traveler. Hate it. I only use it in the summer when camping. I wanted something that didn't need a table to use, and with the drought burn bans I couldn't use the Smokey Joe anymore. Weber was supposed to send me a 'washer kit' to fix the grills falling out when wheeling it around last summer. Never showed up. Trying to get a set now, but Weber customer help has been less than understanding. I also have an issue threading the Coleman propane (or insert brand name) green , 16 oz. bottles on to the connection point. My whole propane plumbing seems to be cocked slight up toward the underside of the table. This makes the bottle contact the underside before I can align it properly. I have to insert the bottle, then torque the bottle length wise on the connection point, then try to thread it on, and hope it doesn't pop off before the threads catch. Usually take multiple tries. Tired of hearing from customer support, "get eye level with it." Even sent them a video after the pictures weren't good enough. Don't have a resolution yet. They are sending me a hose adapter for a 20 lbs. tank as a solution. I don't have a propane tank like that, and don't want to carry something that large for camping.

Can't get the phone in the best alignment to get a good showing of how this is not aligned the best.
Traveler - 2 Marked Up.jpg

The area with less black, within to blue oval, is where the bottle rubs when I am threading it on.
Traveler - 1 Marked Up.jpg

The other main complaint I have, but may be me not being used to gas grills or when I use it I am at high altitude in the Rockies, is you have to heat it to 600F before you can throw anything on it. It still drops to under 300F when doing that. I constantly fight temperature swings from then on. If you put more than 8 burgers on it the heat gets trapped on the underside and you get bad hotspots. My in-laws Cuisinart Grill out does the traveler at cooking, minus it is less stable, at half the price. Lesser complaint, and I knew this when I looked at in the store, it is huge even folded up. We mainly camp at two place, which our family owns, so I've picked up a used gas grill to leave there instead. As soon as I get a the 'fixes' from Weber the Traveler is going on Craigslist.

I got to see my first Traveler at a regional meet a couple years ago. It seemed really nice, and was cooking some great food. That was a summer day at low altitude! I do think the Traveler is a bit large to readily "travel." I suppose that comes with Weber trying to make it a complete package. I agree with Larry that a Q1200 would be a smaller, easier to move, and a less complicated grill. It also is almost entirely aluminum and glass-infused plastic, so very little to rust. Of course, if you add a portable cart to the picture, and you are back to a more awkward thing to pack up and move around on a camping trip.

Look at a Q1200 (or whatever the smaller Q is called now). Altitude does lessen performance as well
I got to see my first Traveler at a regional meet a couple years ago. It seemed really nice, and was cooking some great food. That was a summer day at low altitude! I do think the Traveler is a bit large to readily "travel." I suppose that comes with Weber trying to make it a complete package. I agree with Larry that a Q1200 would be a smaller, easier to move, and a less complicated grill. It also is almost entirely aluminum and glass-infused plastic, so very little to rust. Of course, if you add a portable cart to the picture, and you are back to a more awkward thing to pack up and move around on a camping trip.
I know I fought altitude with charcoal, but got used to it. I live at 9,200 ft, before that I was in the Denver area. This is the first gas grill I've owned. Grew up on Weber Kettles, my Mom was a sales rep in the 80s doing demonstrations at stores. Burn bans in my county don't allow you to use charcoal, even at your house. After two years of bans going April through October, I picked up the SmokeFire (still don't get how it is safer than charcoal?) and the Traveler so I could still grill and smoke in that time of year.

I'll look at the Q, but I have been disappointed in Weber's lack of response to my issues. When the SmokeFire showed up, they drop shipped it to me, it had a busted leg and end table, they overnighted me replacement pieces. This Traveler they have fought me on the issue of threading the bottle on, even with sending them a video where my wife films me as I try multiple things and takes me 5 minutes to get the bottle on. I'm not inept, grew up construction, gutted and remodeled my entire first house, and built multiple engines myself. Just frustrating when I can identify the issue. SmokeFire had been flawless until this spring, and starting to get frustrated with it too. Maybe I am just need to stick to simple charcoal.

Normally Weber C/S is good. I would try a call back to get a different rep.
Friend called Weber when his 4 year old Genesis burner rusted out, they sent him three replacements. This was 10+ years ago. He wasn't even asking for it, he just called to see if there was a different part no. as he was having trouble finding it locally.

I've been dealing with this by email, I'll try to call in instead.

After more conversations, the Weber solution is I get to be a parts replacement monkey:
1691588210384.png
Apparently they aren't sending me the washers to lock the grates in place, by the parts list on the shipment. I also don't have the star bit with the hole in the middle to work with the screws on this thing, so I got to buy more tools. Anyone know if I need a special thread sealant with the thread connections for propane? Pisses me off that this is a factory assembly issue that is mine to fix. Was the same with the SmokeFire when I got it. Here's a new auger chute and side table, have fun installing them.

Well, at least they are supplying the parts. But, yah, I agree, it could be a non-starter for some people. You can buy those star bits...probably Harbor Frieght. I think they are called Security bits, but not sure.

Well, at least they are supplying the parts. But, yah, I agree, it could be a non-starter for some people. You can buy those star bits...probably Harbor Frieght. I think they are called Security bits, but not sure.
I think at this point by sending me parts they are saying I won't void the warranty messing with it. I'll try to loosen and realign the existing parts first. Having not worked with propane lines/components on a grill, do I need a thread sealant? I know I had to use a special sealant on the natural gas lines in my house remodel.

You need thread sealant on NPT connections, but if just the hose connection with the flare connector, you do not want any sealant.
Rectorseal Yellow #5 pipe dope if you need it.

You can buy those star bits...probably Harbor Frieght. I think they are called Security bits, but not sure.
Harbor Freight for sure - they have a kit with like one of every random bit you might ever need for like $10. Everybody should get one.

They sent me a plethora of parts. New gas regulator/connection assembly, new release handle assembly, a hose to connect to a 20 lbs. bottle, and a lid lock washer kit. Haven't had time to mess with them yet. Guess I need to crave out an afternoon to play parts swap monkey.

Back