Throwdown #20: Pork Chops

As I was walking by the meat case at the grocery yesterday I noticed a pack of double-cut pork chops marked way down. I figured why not throw these into the challenge pit competition. So here we go.....

Chili-Lime Marinated Double-Cut Chops with Jack'D-Up Sauce

First it was time for a nice long bath in water, kosher salt, sugar, lime juice, and ancho chili powder

14212303085_607cf2a9d4_c.jpg

After about 5 hours or so it was time to get out of the bath, rinse, and towel off

14209889152_2dfd30f846_c.jpg

On request from the kiddos, we also put on some bacon wrapped chicken, seasoned with some rub, and kissed with Sweet Baby Ray's. These did not last long.

14025682110_a920833706_c.jpg

14212161324_d43fe8114a_c.jpg

Meanwhile, after the chops were ready and the bacon wrapped chicken was gobbled up, I seasoned the chops with some rub.

14212161804_66d96ed4b2_c.jpg

Then onto the kettle with a full chimney of lit KBB. This was at the turn.

14025736037_dbe6d1b73a_c.jpg

Close to being ready to come off. Glazed with some Sweet Baby Ray's doctored up with a little apple juice and my friend Mr. Daniels (first name Jack).

14025684130_c23a46c510_c.jpg

And the plated picture with some french bread turned cheesy garlic bread and marinated yellow squash. The plated pic doesn't look too colorful or fancy, but this was probably the best tasting pork chop I've grilled yet.

14025657669_057e96afe5_c.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Last edited:
Balsamic Pork Chops with Fresh Strawberry Salsa

We have been hoping spring would finally come around here in Wisconsin, so to help it along, we decided on a fresh seasonal delight.

We started with a simple 25year Balsamic Vinegar to marinade a few simple Pork Chops right out of the butcher section of the Grocery Store.

Then my 8 year old son tossed them on his Smokey Joe.

While they grilled, we started on the Fresh Strawberries. I am glad I bought extras, as I might have snacked on a few before chopping them up. YUMMMMM, So good!!!

Back to the Chops which came out great!!!

Then for the Strawberry Salsa. It's a simple recipe with Strawberries, cubed cheese, some fresh herbs, and a bit of Balsamic Vinegar for a little extra flavor.

Keeping it simple and fresh, we paired the Pork Chops with a great Cucumber Salad and topped with the Strawberry Salsa.

Let me tell ya, this was one terrific dish. The Cucumbers were crisp and creamy, the strawberries were sweet but tart, and the Pork Chop was cooked magnificently. I am always amazed at how well Pork Chops go with great cool season fruits and vegetables and adding the cubed cheese put the salsa over the top (I guess I am from Wisconsin and we do love cheese).

John

Last edited:
Barb decided she wanted to get in on the fun so she did a pork chop cook on her own with me doing the photos. So if you like this one it’s all hers just using my account because she doesn’t have one of her own.
Rich

Barb’s Bistro Pork Chops

Will guys I’m going to give it my best shot. I’m going to do a Bistro Style Pork Chops with creamy sauce, cheesy potatoes and honey mustard carrots.

Two Large bone-in pork chops seasoned with EVOO, fresh tarragon, salt & pepper. Let sit for 15 to 30 minutes. Direct cooking over medium heat 350 to 450. Chops on.
BistroPorkChops002_zpsd9d29ec0.jpg

BistroPorkChops008_zpsaa527405.jpg

Sauce is butter, sliced shallots, kosher drill pickles, whole grain mustard, chicken broth, apple juice concentrate, heavy whipping cream. “Cooked in CIS.
BistroPorkChops012_zps2de0b267.jpg

BistroPorkChops021_zpscefabb2b.jpg

Cheesy potatoes, 2 layers potatoes, onions sliced very thin, shredded cheddar, mozzarella, garlic, salt and butter about 35minutes 375
BistroPorkChops004_zps0873c8f8.jpg

BistroPorkChops005_zps656c314b.jpg

BistroPorkChops020_zpsdfbaab7c.jpg

Finished chops and plated shots time to enjoy.
BistroPorkChops017_zps5e04e2e0.jpg

BistroPorkChops026_zpse1daa913.jpg

I wanted to use the performer but due to the wind, I had to use the gasser. After the chops were finished the wind came up even more so, and so I had to finish sauce, potatoes and carrots inside. Didn’t think having a lot of dust and dirt in the rest of my dinner would add to the flavor.
For my second try everything came out great. Next time will be better. Thanks for looking and for all the great ideas I have learned from this web site. You guys are great.
Thanks Barbara

I think your wife needs to get her own account. She has a lot to offer here. Great looking meal and some stiff competition.

]Prosciuotto and corn bread stuffed chops with Grilled Polenta

Prosciuotto and corn bread stuffed chops with Grilled Polenta

Decided to give this one a go, started with 2 chops (about 1 1/2 inches thick), brined them in a simple brine of salt/brown sugar/ bay leaf /black peppercorn/ a little apple cider vinegar and a fresh sprig of rosemary for about 6 hours.

I also made up a simple stuffing of sauteed red onions/mushrooms/diced chicken sausage and cornbread cubes ( held together with chicken stock)

I also made up a whole lot of polenta using a splash or two of stock and reggiano

The polenta went into a buttered spring form pan to set in the fridge.

I then proceeded to stuff the chops, I was hoping for the arthroscopic incision but there was no way to get it all in there, so made a sizable incision in the brined chops

Then I layed out a strip of prosciuotto and topped it with the stuffing then topped it with another piece of prosciuotto ( not shown)

then stuffed the chops

the big incision meant I needed something to keep the insides in, I considered kitchen twine but went a little old school with another fresh twig of rosemary

They went onto the silver intially direct ( the insided stayed in!) then finished indirect

I then cut squares of the set polenta, brushed them with oil and onto direct heat. I also used the indirect side for some mushrooms stiffed with a tomato base ( kind of like pico sand cilantro, they were pre made) and a simple salad

here is the final ( the picture is, admittely not good)

All in all it was ok, cooking the chops was a little trickier than I thought, even with the brine they were a little dry, not awful but not as I would have hoped. if you plan to do grilled polenta ( which turned out excellent) make sure the grill is clean and oiled.

Ultimate St. Louise Pork Chops (by Terry Black Super Smoker BBQ Team)

Hey All,
I finally found the right recipe to try to enter Throwdown #20.

I start with the Terry Black's marinade (made marinade in advance at least 24 hours so it can set. I let rest chops in all night long):
1 1/3 cup of water
1 lemon juice
1/4 cup apple cider vinegard
some dry rub below

I used some big pork chops .... about 2 pound each (They look wet because they rested in the marinade all night long).

IMG_6730 di BBQness, su Flickr

Because they seemed too thick, I cut 2 of them a little.

I made a pocket inside and rubbed with Terry Black's rub:
1 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs onion powder
1 Tbs seasonig salt (I used Paul Kirk's seasoned salt)
2 1/2 Tbs Black pepper

Then I prepared the stuffing for each chop: some sausage + some provolone + some ceddar.

IMG_6745 di BBQness, su Flickr

Then I stuffed the chops

IMG_6754 di BBQness, su Flickr

I set up my 26 OTG for indirect cooking using snake MM + water pan

IMG_6723 di BBQness, su Flickr

I start smoking with some apple + cherry chips at Low and Slow T, about 160F.

IMG_6757 di BBQness, su Flickr

After 2 h at 160 ish cooking T, the IT was 140 F and they looked like this

IMG_6792 di BBQness, su Flickr

Then I cranked up the cooking T looking for Maillard effect and 30 minutes later they looked like this

IMG_6805 di BBQness, su Flickr

Finally, plated...

IMG_6808 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_6814 di BBQness, su Flick

Detailed slideshow on BBQness youtube channel.

Thanks for stopping by.
Enrico

Smoked pork chop roulade over mushroom risotto and grilled asparagus

I want to start by saying that I am not sure if this entry will count as I have already submitted another entry. I'm submitting this one as I was not fantastically pleased with how the last one turned out which was the incentive to try and redeem myself. If its the first entry that counts that's fine. If I have to chose between the two I absolutely choose this one. I will abide by any ruling.

A lot of the entries so far are thick or stuffed chops ( including my previous one) I'm not sure I can hang with these entries so I decided to zag when every one zigged. Got some real thin boneless chops

put them between saran wrap and pounded them out like a madman

I then I made a stuffing of havarti cheese, cubed prosciutto and some baby portabellas. I sauteed the diced mushrooms in butter then added the prosciutto and cooked for about 5 min. I sliced the havarti as thin as I could then assembled the roulades

Rolled them in saran wrap as tight as I could then let them set in the fridge. For one of them
I tied the ends with butcher string as the sacrificial tester roulade. This is what they looked like they were about the length of a good egg roll

Once they were set started the coals on the one touch silver, sort of a poor mans snake with the initial coals coming from my full small chimney. The roulades were on on stainless steel rack and coated with a little of my homemade rub

smoked with a little apple at 275-300 for about and hour. While they were smoking indirect
I made up a mushroom risotto using 90 % vegetable stock and the last 10 % was chicken stock. Here is the risotto as it is cooking

after turning the roulades a couple of times they looked pretty much done. here is a picture of the tester roulade from the inside out

then I grilled some asparagus direct while the other roulades rested. When they were done added a little lemon juice to the grilled asparagus

Cut the rested roulades on the bias, added the risotto to the bottom of a bowl ( I added frozen peas and parmiggiano reggiano to the risotto at the last minute) added the roulades and the grilled asparagus for the final plating

and from the side

this paired fantastically well with an el cheepo chardonnay. The acidity of the lemon juice and the earthiness of the mushroom risotto were a pairing I had not considered but should have. Really really good.

Overall this was a great meal, because of the tight wrapping and smoking the porkchops almost ended up with the same shape and consistency as a sausages (which I admit they do resemble). The havarti kept the insides moist and the prosciuotto has a little salt kick that was really good.

even if I don't win the challenge this was well worth doing and by far and away my best submission (if it counts).

thanks for looking and good luck to everyone who made a submission.

Last edited:
You are well within the rules the way I read them. Excellent second entry and I fully expect to be bringing up the rear in this throwdown.

I would order that at any high end restaurant. Great looking meal!! Excellent presentation as well.

The winner gets to pick the next throwdown ingredient. Once we determine a winner in the tie-breaker for Throwdown #20, they will have a few days to think about ingredients and then we'll announce Throwdown #21. Stay tuned!

Back