Throwdown #13: Chicken Wings

With 14 entries so far, if I count correctly, we're going to need multiple polls for voting, because vBulletin only handles 10 items in a poll.

For example, let's say we have 20 entries on June 9. We randomly place 10 entries into two different polls and vote. We take the top 5 entries from each poll and put them head-to-head in a final poll of 10 entries.

Another example: We have 24 entries. We randomly place 8 entries into three different polls and vote. We take the top 3 entries from each poll and put them head-to-head in a final poll of 9 entries.

Does that make sense? Some of you probably can make better sense of this than me...

This is gonna be fun,
Chris

OT:

would something like this work? http://www.webpollgenerator.com/

I'd duck out but I'm pretty sure I'm going to win ;)

I'd love to try all of the entries!!!

<edit>
...have you checked out facebook's limitations? Might be able to cross-link/promote the sites somehow...

Last edited:
With 14 entries so far, if I count correctly, we're going to need multiple polls for voting, because vBulletin only handles 10 items in a poll.

For example, let's say we have 20 entries on June 9. We randomly place 10 entries into two different polls and vote. We take the top 5 entries from each poll and put them head-to-head in a final poll of 10 entries.

Another example: We have 24 entries. We randomly place 8 entries into three different polls and vote. We take the top 3 entries from each poll and put them head-to-head in a final poll of 9 entries.

Does that make sense? Some of you probably can make better sense of this than me...

This is gonna be fun,
Chris

Either way sounds ok. The webpoll would be the fairest in my opinion, as long as it does not cause some to not vote, and I guess it will be harder to go visit several times.

I kind of figured chicken wings would generate more entries, lucky us!!! The more the merrier;)........I'm out of here for the next two weeks, so I'll see what happens on my return:cool:........................d

Might be worth a try, but even that is limited to 25 items.

This is a great "problem" to have! Not trying to discourage anyone from entering, just discussing how to handle voting for such a popular topic.

My question regarding the webpoll would be 1. Can anyone vote, member or not? 2. Can they vote more than once? Always better to have complete control I would think, so I vote for keeping it inhouse with two or more polls and pick the top of each to reach the ten final poll.................d

Sriracha KFC (Kettle Fried Chicken) Wings

Here is my entry. Sriracha KFC Wings.

First I had to bread and batter the wings. The first bowl on the left is a dry breading with everything that makes up the bottled sauce.
The second bowl is the wet batter. It also contains the bottled Sriracha sauce. The third and final bowl is a panko bread crumb and sesame breading for extra crunch.

IMG_1973.jpg

"Frying" on the grill.

IMG_1984.jpg

Plated up with some ABTs.

IMG_1991.jpg

I will be posting the recipe at a later date for anyone interested.

My favorite wings are smoked then fried to crisp the skin. I like to keep it simple, like me :)

We did a few ABT's
Deck%2520And%2520Wings%2520059.JPG

The wings ready to go, I used a rub from Buffalo Wild Wings called desert heat. Not too hot.
Deck%2520And%2520Wings%2520061.JPG

I used the performer with a little apple wood
Deck%2520And%2520Wings%2520067.JPG

Wings ON
Deck%2520And%2520Wings%2520071.JPG

ABT's ON

Deck%2520And%2520Wings%2520074.JPG

A few shrimp wrapped in bacon and stuffed with monterey jack ON
Deck%2520And%2520Wings%2520082.JPG

Wings in the fryer
Deck%2520And%2520Wings%2520088.JPG

Served up with some Frank's hot sauce, celery, blue cheese and a NAMBY

Deck%2520And%2520Wings%2520089.JPG

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
So I did not get the best pictures but I was cooking by myself and pretty busy.

For my wife’s best friend’s birthday her husband threw a surprise party with about 25 friends. Her first surprise was seeing all of us out in the driveway, her second Lang 84 in her driveway.

IMAG2428_zpsb7923fcc.jpg

Cooked a case of around 300 wings
wings02_zps465fe53c.jpg

wings01_zps51aed8e6.jpg

We did four sauces. OMS, Buffalo, BBQ, and Teriyaki

OMS
IMAG2435_zps92636eec.jpg

Buffalo (Swimming at request for extra heat)
IMAG2442_zps51d9430b.jpg

Teriyaki
IMAG2443_zps747cb5ed.jpg

And well for the pics of the BBQ….. they disappeared to fast. As I dump the first batch I went out to get another set sauced, came back the the BBQ were all goine.

Hope you enjoyed.

Wings!!

Alright! here's my first throwdown. Love chicken wings! Had some fun cookin, and mostly eating them. I like to keep it pretty simple, so I started off with my favorite rub, Bad Byron's Butt Rub.
DSCN3838_zps019bdb79.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Get'em on the WSM, added hickory and apple wood about 1:1 ratio. No water pan. Let it ride with all vents open, and watch the temp rise.
DSCN3840_zps252e210a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN3841_zpsaca68618.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
After 30min I flip'em.
DSCN3842_zpscc18ae9b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
30min more flip'em again.
DSCN3844_zpse261f8bb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Time to sauce it up!
DSCN3848_zps353e3fff.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN3849_zps10897f5b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Man I tell you what! They were GOOOOD!! That was the first time I've tried hickory and apple together, and I'm going to have to do that more often. Great smoke flavor! I really do like to keep it simple: just rub, smoke, and sauce, and blue cheese to dip. The Frank's buffalo is always favorite, but that sweet chili was fantastic! First time using it on wings, even the wife liked it and she's not big on wings. Well, it was a good time!
Thanks for lookin!!

Man some nice looking wings here! Here is my entry, I call it Double Hot with a Popsicle twist ;)

I start with 5 'wings' and 5 'drumsticks' I 'frenched' the drumsticks and pulled the meat and skin up to a ball. Then I split the end of the wings and dug a hole in them.

I then seasoned them and stuffed the wings with hot Italian sausage and wrapped them in half cut slices of extra thick bacon. At the same time I wrapped the 'Popsicles' with prosciutto.

Then on to the BBQ for about an hour or so indirect heat to make sure everything rendered and the chicken was cooked through.

I basted the Double hot wings in my homemade Habanero smoked hot sauce. This stuff has kick lol.

I used to always get wings at the bar which meant veggies and Ranch dressing so I added some to the final plate. Hope you enjoy, I know I did ;)

I feel cheated !

How so, you say...
During a BBQ contest, we judge for appearance, taste and tenderness.

So far, looks like a whole host of 9s in appearance.

What do you all think ? :wsm:

Bob, what do you want?
ya wanna travel to every contestants backyard to sample everything? :)

have ya seen the gasoline prices dude? :p

this isn't REALITY TV man, ... it's VIRTUAL WEBER WEIRDNESS!
you judge by appearance AND virtual taste & tenderness :D

Here is our entry.
Seasoned with Webers kickin chicken and chile de arbol. Its hot and it translates peppers on a tree.

On the Performer they go. The 5 no season wings are for my daughter.:eek:

They are done...

Maribel made her wing sauce, 1 stick ouf butter, 50 percent franks red hot , 50 percent moores sauce and 3 tbs of chile de arbol.

Let them get happy for 5 min.

Maribel made onion rings..

When it was time to eat Maribel want a little char and grill marks on the wings.

Plated and ready to eat.

Thank you for looking.

Do I have to vote for myself? I think I'd like to sample everyone's entry!!! I've gotten (and tried) some good ideas from this 'contest'. Now I'm going too look for the sweet Chili from Franks (one of S.Six's ingredients). I've already tried Frank's BBQ wing that another of the contestants used.

Glen Regan's 'Honey Mango' wings flavor is definitely interesting to me!!! Kaz's trick with the garlic ----well I'll stop here - they ALL look great! There are some very talented cooks/photographers on this forum.

I have been wanting to participate in a throwdown for a while now, so here it is.

Vacationing this week with the family in Kill Devil Hills (Outer Banks) NC.

Hard to choose the best drink for the evening, take your pick! (We were set for the week) Summer shandy paired perfectly with the lemon tequila sauce.

Bar.jpg

Dinner was going to be a feast of NY Strip and Lobster

Steak.jpg

Lobsta.jpg

The wings are the appetizer for the night;

Starting to make the sauce,
Lemon Tequila Sauce
Lemons & garlic swimming in tequila to soften everything up.
Add the Franks Red Hot and simmer.
Barely melt the butter into the sauce being careful not to break the butter by overheating, add lots of parmesan and parsley. Chill.

SauceinPan.jpg

Ready to go

CUSauceinBowl.jpg

Wings tossed with oil and Lawry's Citrus, Basil, & Garlic Rub - Ready for a flip.

CUWingsonGrill.jpg

Almost ready to take off the grill;

WS_WingsonGrill.jpg

Took the wings off the grill and gave them a short swim in the sauce. (Chilling the sauce helps keep the hot wings from breaking the butter in the sauce)

CU_Done.jpg

Plated pic

CU_PlatedDone.jpg

Great view for a few after dinner cocktails.

PierSunrise.jpg

Hope you enjoyed, I know we did!

Fine looking wings, Mr. Six! I really like the "no water pan" technique, and am using it on some wings as I write this. Weber Gods willing, I will post my entry later tonight.

Back