Thinking About Espresso

I pulled out my Mukka Express today, it was a limited edition sold by Williams Sonoma.
I makes a smooth cappuccino but not hot enough for my liking.
I can also make latte's.
IMG_1045.jpgIMG_1046.jpgIMG_1047.jpg

How much hotter can you possibly get? Water boiling at 212 Any hotter you would be drinking steam. Hopefully you're kidding
With the cold milk in the top chamber brings down the temperature of the cappuccino. I could warm the milk up which should help.
The frothing on the Mukka Express is automatic and occurs shortly after the espresso enters into the upper chamber unlike frothing on a manual espresso machine where you can vary the time duration and adjust the steam quantity.

I pulled out my Mukka Express today, it was a limited edition sold by Williams Sonoma.
I makes a smooth cappuccino but not hot enough for my liking.
I can also make latte's.
View attachment 87140View attachment 87141View attachment 87142
I had never heard of this one and just watched the following video. I have to say that is one of the coolest coffee makers I have ever seen. I am not even a big cappuccino lover but I am not going to lie.....I kind of want one now;-) And yours with the clear top so you can watch is off the charts.

We just got back from Puerto Rico and the last hotel we stayed at had complimentary Nespresso in the room. I had never personally used one, but have had one made for me from someone else's machine. This thing made very yummy coffee. If I found one in a thrift shop cheap, I would likely buy it. I did take apart the pod to check it out because...why not.
1710459601766.png

1710459673145.png1710459741139.png

1710459784989.png1710459810881.png

I don't want to be tied to pods, or capsules or whatever they're called. I like learning the art to make a decent shot. And quite honestly getting quite good at it with both machines. And I am FREE to use whatever coffee I would like not what someone decides to put into a pod, cartridge or capsule

I don't want to be tied to pods, or capsules or whatever they're called. I like learning the art to make a decent shot. And quite honestly getting quite good at it with both machines. And I am FREE to use whatever coffee I would like not what someone decides to put into a pod, cartridge or capsule
I get it. Not for everybody. But for someone who wants a decent espresso without the tinkering, learning curve, and expense, I could see this as being a viable option. I also saw that they also sell reusable pods. To me this was on par with some of the espresso's we have purchased on our travels made with those expensive commercial machines for a lot more than 69 cents.

You can get a VERY good espresso maker between $80 to $130. Heck, this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09X3WGJ3R?tag=tvwb-20 machine is only $125 and I just pulled a double shot from it today and it was VERY good. I honestly think compared to the KitchenAid (which BTW is compared quite favorably to many of the even higher priced Breville and DeLonghi machines) honestly from a a quality of "drink" Casabrews could EASILY put this unit in the $250 range and sell the heck out of it.
I paid $229 for the KA (which is now $350) and quite honestly compared to the Casabrews I think I paid $75 to $100 too much!
POD machines certainly (IMO) don't present themselves as any great "bargain" and given being tied down to the pods, and whatever THEY decide to make compatible (and likely at a quite higher price per ounce of coffee). I don't see any value there.
Anyway, I am pleased with my machine(s) (both of them actually) and really had my son in law visited earlier (prior to my buying the KA in favor of the other), I would have never bought the KA.
That aside. I am having fun and enjoying the "learn" with both machines.

We just got back from Puerto Rico and the last hotel we stayed at had complimentary Nespresso in the room. I had never personally used one, but have had one made for me from someone else's machine. This thing made very yummy coffee. If I found one in a thrift shop cheap, I would likely buy it. I did take apart the pod to check it out because...why not.
View attachment 87786

View attachment 87787View attachment 87788

View attachment 87789View attachment 87790

Joe, that one looks like a pixie, either a Breville or a Delonghi

I bought the Breville Pixie for a friend 15 months ago and It brews a great espresso or cappuccino

5# is way too much. Just wife and I drink it. She's a one cup per day. Sometimes on weird occasions she might have a partial second cup or an espresso. And BTW her "normal" cup is as follows. In a normal mug (maybe 7oz mug). She'll only put half coffee and the rest 2% milk.
My mugs are 14oz and while not "filled" 2/3-3/4 with maybe a tsp of heavy cream. I only want the smoothness not the dilution pr the cool down which is why I use the heavy cream.
And BTW I did try that trick of vacuum sealing extra coffee. Not sure why but in both cases (bags) they both looked like the bags had leaked air. As even though the bag was sucked down nice and tight by the time I got to the bags to open the beans were "loose".
I am unsure if was due to the beans "off gassing" in the bag or the bags actually leaking. I stored both at room temp.
Was I supposed to store them in the fridge or freezer instead?
I would really like to do this because due to my low usage my beans are just not as fresh tasting (even though I store them in a sealed plastic container).
Or is the "looseness" in the vacuum bag to be expected due to the nature of coffee beans

I recently went through a bag of Death's Door whole bean coffee in my Miele, I highly recommend this coffee.

I purchased a 32oz bag from the Costco in Kenosha WI a while back but noticed that it is available for purchase in the 5# bag on the link above.
I get the Door County Coffee...beautiful part of WI...caught the biggest fish of my life salmon fishing up there. I don't get the angry name...Death's Door. So many out there with similar names. Noticed the craft beer industry...same thing with the goofy, angry names.

Hey, Larry (or anyone), since you are having fun tinkering with the espresso shots, thought you might like this (if you haven't seen it, or something similar.) I thought it was a nicely presented graphic for dialing in your preferred shot flavor.... Credit to Golden Triangle Coffee Co for the graphic.

1710511870913.png

I get the Door County Coffee...beautiful part of WI...caught the biggest fish of my life salmon fishing up there. I don't get the angry name...Death's Door. So many out there with similar names. Noticed the craft beer industry...same thing with the goofy, angry names.
According to their website: This dark roast blend is named after, Porte des Morts, a narrow strait located between the tip of Door County and Washington Island, that was known to be very dangerous passage for sailors many years ago, earning the name Death’s Door.

5# is way too much. Just wife and I drink it. She's a one cup per day. Sometimes on weird occasions she might have a partial second cup or an espresso. And BTW her "normal" cup is as follows. In a normal mug (maybe 7oz mug). She'll only put half coffee and the rest 2% milk.
My mugs are 14oz and while not "filled" 2/3-3/4 with maybe a tsp of heavy cream. I only want the smoothness not the dilution pr the cool down which is why I use the heavy cream.
And BTW I did try that trick of vacuum sealing extra coffee. Not sure why but in both cases (bags) they both looked like the bags had leaked air. As even though the bag was sucked down nice and tight by the time I got to the bags to open the beans were "loose".
I am unsure if was due to the beans "off gassing" in the bag or the bags actually leaking. I stored both at room temp.
Was I supposed to store them in the fridge or freezer instead?
I would really like to do this because due to my low usage my beans are just not as fresh tasting (even though I store them in a sealed plastic container).
Or is the "looseness" in the vacuum bag to be expected due to the nature of coffee beans
I store my whole beans in the freezer until I need to open another bag.
I prefer the 2.2# bags as there are 3 heavy coffee/espresso drinkers in my household.

Back