Thinking About Espresso

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Thinking about perhaps trying my hand at this craft. I don't want to spend a lot as I don't want to be into it any more than I can "get out" if I end up not enjoying it. So thoughts on this? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1272418410119823/
As visible seller is asking $225. IDK if this is fair or not. (assuming the unit is in good condition). Honestly IDK if I am feeling $225 maybe more like $175. Yet I don't want to make an insulting offer that nets me nothing
So, thoughts?

I saw this last night but was too tired to reply. And even now I don't quite know where to begin with meaningful insight.

I think it was about a decade ago when I bought an earlier version of the Breville you're considering. For people who are serious and willing to invest, it is not a well-favored machine. I couldn't even pretend it was serious because it yielded a soupy puck, lol.

A few years later I upgraded to the Rancillio Silvia with a PID. I could not afford a dual boiler unit, so the Silvia it was. It was better but I still had my struggles with it, plus I went down a rabbit hole buying expensive scales, portafilters, etc.

Most important of all (and this was just my personal experience): it was too time consuming and I never developed an appropriate skill to utilize it for espresso-based drinks with a decent level of gratification (I don't drink straight espresso).

So then a few years ago I bought this (there must be some other, more current model because I don't see it on Amazon):
https://home-appliances.philips/pro...a7B9r13icO4-HQDwPN0aAgAOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I can't use a scale, nor portafilters, nor can I enhance the craft but I use it regularly, I appreciate the drinks it makes, and when some family members visit who also like espresso drinks they can do it themselves and they like it.

My best-guess thought for you: if you buy it you might be okay with the flavor and experience if you don't start reading all there is to know about espresso. But if you start researching how to make espresso you're possibly going to be in trouble, lol. The fact that you have or had a Moccamaster has me thinking you will do too much research and discover this is not the machine for you.

Yes, I did research the very trouble prone predecessor to this particular Breville. Apparently it used n entirely different type of boiler which was prone to leakage, poor performance and so on.
Supposedly from the research I have done (and my son in law as well who owns not only the same grinder I use but the same espresso maker), and he's quite the scientist and did much careful research on it. They've had it now for 4 or 5 years and still love it.
I guess Breville changed the heating and pumping system to a much more sturdy and powerful PID controlled system (actually I guess the same system they use in the Precision Brew coffee maker I am enjoying).
I actually watched a video yesterday on the Infuser comparing it (and it's water system) to it's predecessor. Actually showing cutaways of all the improvements.
But, yeah, I get it. If a product "burned" you with poor quality and performance, it taints the company as much as the product. I get that..................fully.
Also, I am trying to keep my expenditure on this "adventure" as low as possible. (under $200 if I can get away with it). So I had actually thought about giving one of those Amazon Chinese Wonders I see so often popping up on my Amazon feed. Even looking to the Shardor brand which I felt made a pretty darn great coffee grinder. Darn near as good as the Breville sitting on my counter right now at 1/3rd the price point. And I did see some pretty darn nice looking units there, but unlike the grinders absolutely no mention of warranty is given. So I am loathe to spend say $180 on one not knowing what kind of support it will have should something go badly 6 mos down the road. I felt perhaps it would be better to buy a quality brand used with a (from what I could see) good track record, than an unknown brand with unknown warranty support. Even though (at least on the reviews) it's overwhelmingly rated 5 stars.
Anyway I truly appreciate the input. And looking forward to anything else you or anyone else can/will add

I went the easy route and own a Nespresso machine. Makes excellent espresso drinks and it’s easy to own, use and keep clean.

Nespresso might not be what you’re looking for with all those customizations on a true espresso machine, but I just want to pull 3 shots daily into my latte. Less is more for us.

I like espresso occasionally but drip is our everyday coffee. I was looking at this though for our beach house as we entertain a bit down there and we have a large kitchen with a bit of counter space. I've seen this for less, but it looks solid.
Tchibo Single Serve Coffee Maker - Automatic Espresso Coffee Machine - Built-in Grinder, No Coffee Pods Needed - Comes with 3 x 17.6 Ounce Bags of Whole Beans https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJD7J5XR?tag=tvwb-20

Tchibo coffee is generally quite good. I'm sure the machine is produced in China but could be a German design.

most of the experts strongly suggest you put a good part of your budget into a grinder. I am only a couple years into the espresso journey, but a consistent coffee grind size matters a great deal whether it’s espresso, pour over, immersion, moka pot, Aeropress . . . . . . .

Grind size (depending on your equipment) is often the only variable you can adjust to change the outcome. Don’t skimp on the grinder.

Not to deflect your interest in espresso but if your are seeking a richer, more espresso like coffee look into a moka pot. They are inexpensive, and reasonably easy to master for a good result.

Keith, I have a Mocha pot. Just too much work. I posted a thread on it. It was one of I think a trunk full my uncle brought for the family when he emigrated here from Italy in 1958. Nearly every kid in the family got one (nearly because many kids/cousins and my brother) were all born after he came across LOL. It's from an Italian company no longer in existence but I guess was bought by Bialetti. So I was able to find some new parts for it. It's OK, but it's messy and kind of a PIA to use. I just want something that if wife and I or a guest or 2 want an after dinner espresso, it's a simple grind, turn on and go

Keith, I have a Mocha pot. Just too much work. I posted a thread on it. It was one of I think a trunk full my uncle brought for the family when he emigrated here from Italy in 1958. Nearly every kid in the family got one (nearly because many kids/cousins and my brother) were all born after he came across LOL. It's from an Italian company no longer in existence but I guess was bought by Bialetti. So I was able to find some new parts for it. It's OK, but it's messy and kind of a PIA to use. I just want something that if wife and I or a guest or 2 want an after dinner espresso, it's a simple grind, turn on and go
If it helps at all I find mocha pot much easier than espresso. With espresso getting a properly formed coffee puck is not a simple task, and if you don’t have a good puck you don’t get a good espresso.

If it helps at all I find mocha pot much easier than espresso. With espresso getting a properly formed coffee puck is not a simple task, and if you don’t have a good puck you don’t get a good espresso.
I have a Moka pot, there must be a trick that I am missing, very inconsistent results…better watch some more YouTube!

Yeah, I was watching this James Hoffman guy re Mocha pots and holy cow, I would rather experiment with coffee pucks than all the fussing he seems to have to do.
This is another one I am considering giving a try to. https://www.kitchenaid.com/countert...mi-automatic-espresso-machine.kes6503er.html? KA is another name beside Breville I trust.
The other one I am considering is the little Breville Bambino. https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/espresso/bes450.html
Though the KA is currently about $70 cheaper and at that point I would have the advantage of not being too afraid of dropping the whole nickel on a brand new one rather than buying a used one.
From everything I have been seeing on the forums and such the Bambino turns out at least as good a cup as the Infuser, and in head to head people saying the KA is the equal in quality of brew though many seem to like the operation of the Breville a bit better. Because every function has it's own "button". Don't know I would care, especially how little I would use it. Since, espresso would not be an everyday drink for me as in some ways I do prefer really good drip coffee which both my Breville and OXO give me in spades.

Breville bambino is a good machine. If you want to automate milk frothing get the bambino plus. And like you point out Breville is a worldwide name you can trust

Since, espresso would not be an everyday drink for me

If espresso is not an every day event, how will you master the skill and the machine?

I still think you'd be happy with a nespresso. The one I linked above is made by Breville.

I'm wondering if a Nespresso is like the pellet smoker of espresso machines.

Ad a variety pack from Peets, push the easy button and enjoy.
1707869281976.png

If espresso is not an every day event, how will you master the skill and the machine?

I still think you'd be happy with a nespresso. The one I linked above is made by Breville.

I'm wondering if a Nespresso is like the pellet smoker of espresso machines.

Ad a variety pack from Peets, push the easy button and enjoy.
View attachment 86499
Nespresso is reported to have had $1.5B in US sales at the end of 2023.

In Europe, Nespresso is everywhere.

Having had pulled shots from traditional espresso machines, Nespresso shots are as good, if not better, for substantially less work. Plus the cleanup is nill.

Honestly don't want to deal with a pod machine. No doubt it may be good, but it's not where my head is taking me. The Bambino Plus is a pretty spendy machine. Way out of the realm of what I want to spend (unless I can find one on the used market) from someone who perhaps graduated to something better
I will play with the machine to "learn" the craft, but afterward once i dial in the process a bit it'll be an occasional use product (I think at this point).

Back