ThermaPen One on sale.....

Jim Weber

TVWBB Fan
If anyone really needs a ThermPen One --- they are on sale with Mad Scientist BBQ link.
Looks like the best price I've seen on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting on the thermopop ones to go on sale. May do this first.
Do not want to cook one more time without an accurate thermometer
Meathead says that cooking without a thermometer is like driving without a speedometer!

Tony,
I would keep an eye out on this one from ThermoPro. Regular price is very good, and sometimes it goes even lower on sale:

For that matter, I don't think anyone can really find fault in this bargain priced but well made one also from ThermoPro $16.99 in orange, $19.99 in black:

No stones to throw at Themoworks whose products are superb. I go back and forth between my Thermapen One and ThermoPro Lightning and like both. I also have to TP-19H, but my wife absconded with it as our kitchen thermometer. I never liked the look of it in orange, but now you can get it in black.

I guess I'm a sucker for Thermoworks. About 10 years ago I bought a yellow Classic Thermapen and was smitten.
Then they introduced the MK4. Backlit and rotating display...Ooh cool! So I have an OSU-orange MK4.

A few years ago, the ONE appeared, with 1 second readings. Nah - I can live with 3 seconds on my MK4 - pass.
Then earlier this month, they sent me an email offering open-box ONE for $65. :sneaky: Welcome to the family, blue ONE. LOL

I'm done with Thermoworks! Went through 4 Big & Loud timers in less than 6 years. Average life was about 2+ years for each one. Then the keypad stopped functioning.
Two thermopops and now a third one sitting on my desk dead. Replaced the battery. Nothing. Average service life 2-3 years.
I take very good care of my equipment, so abuse is not an issue. I've got timers that cost way less that are over 40 years old and still work fine.
Going to give ThermoPro a try, can't be any worse and cost a lot less.

I'm done with Thermoworks! Went through 4 Big & Loud timers in less than 6 years. Average life was about 2+ years for each one. Then the keypad stopped functioning.
Two thermopops and now a third one sitting on my desk dead. Replaced the battery. Nothing. Average service life 2-3 years.
I take very good care of my equipment, so abuse is not an issue. I've got timers that cost way less that are over 40 years old and still work fine.
Going to give ThermoPro a try, can't be any worse and cost a lot less.
That's a bummer and somewhat surprising to read.
I've been using Thermoworks for years and haven't had any issues with quality including a couple of those Big & Loud timers which we use all the time. The only product that I've been disappointed with is the Time Stack. It's an alarm with 4 timers and is needlessly complicated to set, not loud enough and sucks batteries.

I guess I'm a sucker for Thermoworks. About 10 years ago I bought a yellow Classic Thermapen and was smitten.
Then they introduced the MK4. Backlit and rotating display...Ooh cool! So I have an OSU-orange MK4.

A few years ago, the ONE appeared, with 1 second readings. Nah - I can live with 3 seconds on my MK4 - pass.
Then earlier this month, they sent me an email offering open-box ONE for $65. :sneaky: Welcome to the family, blue ONE. LOL
Yeah....I said the same...then the One went on sale a while back, and I bought one. Can't have too many thermometers!!

That's a bummer and somewhat surprising to read.
I've been using Thermoworks for years and haven't had any issues with quality including a couple of those Big & Loud timers which we use all the time. The only product that I've been disappointed with is the Time Stack. It's an alarm with 4 timers and is needlessly complicated to set, not loud enough and sucks batteries.
I feel the same about the TimeStick Trio. It was a letdown for me, but the only one so far.
I cannot live without the TimeStick - I have multiple ones on hand for various uses (and beyond cooking) and at least one back-up in the drawer.

I love the Thermapens and the Smoke, and even the accessories, like the probe spools and trivets.
Right now I am eyeballing the new silicone ladle but will probably hold out until it goes on sale. :)

I too am in the Thermoworks camp. Mostly because after my maverick (I think) died I bought a Smoke and subsequently a Themapen (actually 2 because the battery died on one and I couldn't get it out to replace it until after I got a new one... now I keep one with my BBQ stuff and one next to the stove).

That said, and perhaps this could be considered a thread hijacking, I am considering getting a wireless thermometer but don't really know where to begin. If anyone has any suggestions of wireless leave-in thermometers they like (or that should be avoided) I'm open to hearing about them.

I too am in the Thermoworks camp. Mostly because after my maverick (I think) died I bought a Smoke and subsequently a Themapen (actually 2 because the battery died on one and I couldn't get it out to replace it until after I got a new one... now I keep one with my BBQ stuff and one next to the stove).

That said, and perhaps this could be considered a thread hijacking, I am considering getting a wireless thermometer but don't really know where to begin. If anyone has any suggestions of wireless leave-in thermometers they like (or that should be avoided) I'm open to hearing about them.
I am a fan of the Thermoworks Smoke. Most people now seem to want to monitor everything on their phone, but I am not in that camp.
I think you can get their Gateway for that, if it's important to you.
The Smoke has been perfect for me for close to 10 years and I use it on overnight cooks, also.

Here is a link, if I was successful - and apparently it's on sale right now for almost $40 off.

Love using Thermoworks Smoke and ThermoPen Mk4 (and have a few other of their products). Great experience with all. I’ll be buying more of their products in future.

For fully wireless though, I think the ThermoPro TempSpike looks great. It has a good looking design with probe that does internal temps on one end and ambient on the other. No wires so would work well with rotisserie in motion too. Folks on here seem to have a good, reliable experience with it. I’m warming up to an App on phone which I’ve purposely avoided up to this point. When a good sale happens, I will likely try one.

Forgot to mention my Smoke in my rant. I've had it for about three years and it's been faultless so far. But my gazillion year old maverick is ready just in case the smoke goes belly up. If the Maverick dies, I have a brand new Maverick still in the box to back that one up. Got Murphy covered from all angles.

I am a fan of the Thermoworks Smoke. Most people now seem to want to monitor everything on their phone, but I am not in that camp.
I think you can get their Gateway for that, if it's important to you.
The Smoke has been perfect for me for close to 10 years and I use it on overnight cooks, also.

Here is a link, if I was successful - and apparently it's on sale right now for almost $40 off.

@Brenda T - I'm already a big fan of the Smoke... In fact, big picture, my considerations also include either getting an additional Smoke or upgrading to the 4-channel version! I'm not really all that keen on getting everything on my phone/putting all my cooking data in the cloud (aside from sharing my cooks here, I don't really see the point). It's not that I'm judging people that use/swear by such functionality, I just don't wanna bother with it myself. A good remote readout (like that of the Smoke and my old Maverick) is all I really need.... well as long as I can set a temp alarm and it'll wake me up on those overnight cooks I'm so fond of lol.

The main reason I'm considering a completely wireless option is for those times where I'm cooking multiple smaller cuts (like pork chops or steaks for the family). The last time I tried using my Smoke in such an application the wires were a pain to deal with and the (relatively) large temp probes made fitting everything a challenge. I've seen a lot of folks on youtube using these tiny looking temp probes and it got me wondering if it would be worth the investment for those smaller cuts.

Love using Thermoworks Smoke and ThermoPen Mk4 (and have a few other of their products). Great experience with all. I’ll be buying more of their products in future.

For fully wireless though, I think the ThermoPro TempSpike looks great. It has a good looking design with probe that does internal temps on one end and ambient on the other. No wires so would work well with rotisserie in motion too. Folks on here seem to have a good, reliable experience with it. I’m warming up to an App on phone which I’ve purposely avoided up to this point. When a good sale happens, I will likely try one.

@Mike-GA - Thanks for the tip. There is such a glut of information out there between youtube and *insert favorite search engine here* that I am often overwhelmed. It's usually at that point that I turn to my TVWBB family for some perspective. I've said before and I'll say it again. This is a great community! Anyway... Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to put it on my list of things to research!

I've heard feedback that the TempSpike app is kinda annoying..... always wanting to connect when connection is lost if you go out of range.... so annoying that they didn't recommend it --- said to get the Twin Spike set with its own dedicated base unit to avoid the frustrations. Its not just the probe --- the app needs to be strong too.

I've heard feedback that the TempSpike app is kinda annoying..... always wanting to connect when connection is lost if you go out of range.... so annoying that they didn't recommend it --- said to get the Twin Spike set with its own dedicated base unit to avoid the frustrations. Its not just the probe --- the app needs to be strong too.
That’s good to know. I’m in no rush to get one because my Smoke works so well. Its remote lets me work in home office while monitoring a long cook with less disruptions of having to walk out to check temps. If I go to the hassle of putting a grill App on my phone, it has to be solidly reliable.

I was thinking a pure wireless with App would free me up to run errands by car and be able to bark orders to whoever is home to tweak cooks… like a Captain. Wireless probe would also be nice when I do rotisserie.

There were also comments of problems with the bluetooth range when monitored from inside a building and many walls.... also problems when the probes were placed in foiled pans/wraps. There is a problem/range reduction when you try to run RF/BT from INSIDE your smoker/grill as opposed to a wired/wireless setup OUTSIDE.... faraday cage.

Interesting (good) feedback. I definitely want good connectivity, otherwise what's the point! I also like having a local readout too.

Brian: I have a thermoworks smoke and a TempSpike. I get better/longer reception with my tempspike.

Disclaimer: I went to use my TempSpike today and I was unable to get any readings off the probe. I have an inquiry in to TempSpike. I have found them to be good with customer service in the past. So, I am using my Thermoworks Smoke and haven't had any disconnections while sitting in my office. Normally I get temp disconnections every 5-10 minutes at this range.

Brian: I have a thermoworks smoke and a TempSpike. I get better/longer reception with my tempspike.

Disclaimer: I went to use my TempSpike today and I was unable to get any readings off the probe. I have an inquiry in to TempSpike. I have found them to be good with customer service in the past. So, I am using my Thermoworks Smoke and haven't had any disconnections while sitting in my office. Normally I get temp disconnections every 5-10 minutes at this range.

@Bruce - Just curious, have you ever done a side by side comparison of the two? I've heard/read that the ambient temps on some wireless probes can be less that accurate.

Back