The ol' pork butt/brisket combo starts tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Z

TVWBB Guru
Picked up my very first wal-mart brisket at the Charles Town WV joint when I took good ol' mom gamblin' earlier, and just scored a butt from Shoppers Food Warehouse so I'm cookin' tonight.

For the butt, I'm trying the mustard slather as I'd promised in a previous post. Hey, I'm a grrrl of my word---I tried old bay for pork butt (ok, not sweet enuff for me)---and now I'm trying mustard to see how much bark and bite it has.

Brisket has the #2 Texas rub on it and I'm thinking the butt will get #1 dosed up with a bit more turbinado.

Got the stuff to make slaw, got the Martin's potato rolls, and got the navy beans to make Raichlen's delicious baked beans, which I'll cook all day tomorrow.

I'm already whooped so I'm hoping the WSM does its magic and keeps a nice steady temp for me. Looks beautiful and still out so it should be a good night for it come 11 or midnight when I plan to start.

Everything's set---the coals are in the ring and in the chimney starter, the wood chunks (hickory and oak) have been chosen and are sitting out. The maverick has been located, as has the thermopen and all my gloves (welding and the hi-temp waterproof ones whose name escapes me). Water's in the blue gas can and the brinkmann pan is lined with foil just waitin'. The brisket has been rubbed but the pork butt hasn't. I was planning to wait until later for that cuz, well, I'm not sure why, but cuz of the mustard. I guess I want to keep my eye on it, lol.

I also picked a whole bunch of red jalapenos from my pepper-crazed garden that are going to become chipotles with any luck, but I see they will need a separate low temp smoke, so they'll have to wait for later.

Any other weird Thursday night smokers?

Susan, I am not smoking tonight but I am doing a 12lb packer and a 8lb pork butt on Saturday night! Picking up the respective packer and butt tomorrow from the butcher!

No peps for me! Baked beans will hit the WSM after the brisket comes off. Using Stogie's easy baked beans reciepe(lazy)!!

Take some pics Suzy-Q...like to see your finished product!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Susan Z:
I'm already whooped so I'm hoping the WSM does its magic and keeps a nice steady temp for me.

Any other weird Thursday night smokers? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_eek.gif
icon_smile.gif

Ha ha. Ive had a few hombrews already too. Im doin.
icon_wink.gif
No smoke for me but I had leftover Pulled pork from Sat. Delish. Ill be here all night. Let us know how it goes.

Brent

I hope I won't be up all night. plan to fall asleep and forget to set the maverick alarm--like usual!

Greg, I'll try to be not-so-lazy and take some pics, if the mood takes me.

Oh---and I'm alreay into the Oktoberfest beer!

Susan,

Me I'm working or I'd be smoking and downing some SUDS myself. Dang night shifts suck. But going to be doing a Turkey Sat morning when i get off. Was going to do it at 325-350 but I have had a few people tell me that if I brine it I should still be able to do it at 250 and get a good smokey product thats not dried out.

Bruce, I do make mine a bit sweeter. But then I'm made of, you know, sugar and spice and everything nice. I don't think most people do anything to it tho.

Matt, I've been too chicken to try poultry, but I'm going to get brave real soon and try some myself. Let us know how yours goes!

Susan,

So how's the cook going or have you retire for the night......well retire for a few hours shut eye.

Zipping right along! Verrrrry typical overnighter for me lately. I'm watching the temps slowly climb and I know I should make the long trek downstairs one more time to dial back a vent just a tad, but I'm soooooooo tired that I don't. It was headed for 240 when I tucked myself in around 2, and I turned off the alarm on the Maverick so it wouldn't bug me. Hey, I was tired! But I trust the process, even when it's kooky like mine. I woke up around 6 because some cats were crying outside (the neighbor's cats---drives 'em crazy to smell bbq all night) the grate temp was 219 or 210 (it pays to write these things down--oops again). So I know I had some temp spikes thru the night that burnt out my coals. Thanks to the wonders of the brinkmann, tho, I know they never sail totally out of control. (There's still water in that thing.) Higher than I wanted, but believe me, I've abused the meat like this before.

Most importantly tho, the meat was in the 160's this morning which is JUST where I want it! I will nurse them along at this temp for as long as I can so they'll render like crazy, then I'll probably panic later on and oven finish these things leaving enuff time to stick 'em in a cooler for a couple of hours for a 6:30 dinner. LOL

It's an unconventional system, but it's all mine! And (knock on wood) so far so good, results-wise.

So I added some unlit coals and opened the vents wide and she's clicking along.

Sounds like quite a system you've got for cooking there. Pay them lots of attention, get bored/sleepy, make sure they are still warmed up for dinner the next night.

I got a couple of friends that get treated the same way by women.

Hey Susan:

I'll be with you tonight. Butt is in fridge already rubbed and headed over to local Publix to pickup Sir Charles and a "Shawn" ribeye. Will kick things of this afternoon with the ribeye and then put the butt and chuck on for the over nite. Have yet to decide a rub for the chuck.

Wow, a ribeye! Cool!

My cook is so.....pedestrian (sigh!).

Gotta start those beans soon so they'll have all day to simmer.

Hey Susan,
How is the cook going? Maybe you should do the Ribeye for Monday nights game! We will expect a cook log and pic's when the cook is done!
icon_biggrin.gif

Susan,
I forgot to say, I can't believe you sweeten up the #1 even more!!! Ya making smoked candied pork?
icon_biggrin.gif
#1 is just a tad sweet for me.

Uh oh, I can't find Raichlen's book with the beans in it. It's How to Grill. Where did I put that thing?

Well, not to worry---I think I have a rough idea. I know it starts with buckboard bacon and onion, so I'll go do that while I pad around and see if I can turn it up.

Ha! Found it online . Of course, i don't use the liquid smoke...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back