The Mini-Za Oven

The Green Machine!

14773319341_d70ce52c41_k.jpg

OBTW...did ya find a good rope gasket (or another kind) to fit the door yet Case? The most leaking is along the bottom edge?

Side air vents. Allows me to control the temps better. When I first built my mini-WSM I could never get above 280*. Added one vent then added the other now I can get above 500*. Not how high as my therm cuts out at 500*.

I don't know the first thing about making pizza but am thinking about doing this mod. Anyways, sorry for this stupid question but do you connect anything to these vents to pump air in or do they just open/close to get temps up? And for you fuel source, just using charcoal? Thanks!

I don't know the first thing about making pizza but am thinking about doing this mod. Anyways, sorry for this stupid question but do you connect anything to these vents to pump air in or do they just open/close to get temps up? And for you fuel source, just using charcoal? Thanks!

Those side vents are there to control the air flow. Some have attached BBQ guru. PartyQ etc to run the air control. I have not. For me the lower vent didn't provide enough air to get the higher temps I wanted. With just the stock lower vent I could never get the mini above 285. I live at 3,600ft el. When I go to sea level there was no problem. So anyways I added the vents and use them to control my temp.

Primarily I use lump or briquettes I am going to be playing with some mini splits I found.

14837087265_0adb32a0aa_h.jpg

Deflector on top rack

14650386060_8cf0bfed42_h.jpg

14837077265_89f2dc27f1_h.jpg

Door works!

14814100666_02874f0e0d_h.jpg

14650456028_4a0b8bcef4_h.jpg

The HI-Temp 1200° paint isn't liking the high temp pizza cook!

14833987121_ed51e84389_h.jpg

14650416789_e04ecc0981_h.jpg

Pizza turned out great!!!

Cool mods. Great job.

Thank you! Took it camping this past weekend. Made pizza's for the kids both nights. Smoked chicken wings one night for me, and a big old smoked then seared T-bone Steak the next night! Love the Mini-ZA!

I'm so glad you posted this mod...my Wife got me a 14.5 WSM for my Birthday and I thought that would be the end of the mini.
Now, it will be a dedicated pizza oven.
I've been kicking around different ideas for getting the lid temp way up...I hate the bottom being just this side of burnt while the toppings are barely cooked.
I think I'm going with a Dutch oven technique and spread a thin layer of coals on a foil covered top rack

I'm so glad you posted this mod...my Wife got me a 14.5 WSM for my Birthday and I thought that would be the end of the mini.
Now, it will be a dedicated pizza oven.
I've been kicking around different ideas for getting the lid temp way up...I hate the bottom being just this side of burnt while the toppings are barely cooked.
I think I'm going with a Dutch oven technique and spread a thin layer of coals on a foil covered top rack

I ended up just putting the clay pot tray I used to use a diffuser on the top rack. Works great and throws enough heat down for my likings. Haven't fired up the pizza oven in a few weeks, might have to do that this weekend. Use up some of the fresh tomaters we have!

Case, what size are the latches you used to keep the door closed? I have my pot on the way and was wanting to make it a mini-za for more flexibility. Those latches are the only thing I haven't been able to source out.

These latches look very similar, but I'm not sure if using the same style really matters. Could I use any style of draw latch?

Last edited:

Back