The Mini-Za Oven

Case, what size are the latches you used to keep the door closed? I have my pot on the way and was wanting to make it a mini-za for more flexibility. Those latches are the only thing I haven't been able to source out.

These latches look very similar, but I'm not sure if using the same style really matters. Could I use any style of draw latch?

Matt I'm not sure what size they are. I got them at our Ace Hardware store in the bulk bin aisles. Before they were painted they were nickle. I could measure them tonight if I remember. Yes I believe that any style of draw latch would work .

Last edited:
Here's a few more photos of the door. I used the cut out and riveted another piece of metal to the outside to form a lip. Originally I thought I would need a gasket to keep things from leaking, but there was no need. It seals up great.

14589314756_bdfa5086ee_b.jpg

Lip metal attached but not trimmed.

14747318986_ab53f47947_b.jpg

lip trimmed and catches attached. One thing to mention is that I attached one latch system, then with it installed on the pot, I marked the other one out so I'd get a tight fit.

14556906880_300d932260_b.jpg

14790199943_cdd7042ff3_b.jpg

14583853597_38affc88a6_b.jpg

The handle on the front of the door is from the Vasconia tamale pot lid. I suppose you could use the handle off the Imusa lids if you drilled the rivets out and then re-riveted or bolted it to the door.

Back