The CEO's London Broil

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So the CEO has been making this for decades and today it was my turn to do it justice, the marinade has Mustard powder, Soy Sauce, dried Ginger, honey, garlic powder and fresh ground. Mixed together well and then into a bag for several hours in the fridge.

DSC01622_zpsfdpingbs.jpg

Pulled from the fridge to come to room temp, red onion, Yukon's, Baby Bella's going to be the sides tonight

DSC00567_zpsefi0y3sc.jpg

London Broil on for a quick sear then indirect, Yukon sliced open and on also after being softened in the Nuke

DSC00568_zpszyc2vuhk.jpg

DSC00569_zpstia3uyjr.jpg

Time to pull the meat, went a little more tonight as the CEO likes hers med+, don't ask, I've tried

DSC00570_zpsajlium3o.jpg

Shrooms and onions on with EVOO, 2 Tbsp Butter and Kosher and Fresh Ground. A little Worcestershire added toward the end.

DSC00572_zpssfgepvxk.jpg

DSC00573_zpsdevrgpqh.jpg

On the table, we enjoyed this

DSC00575_zpsppf6mdjo.jpg

Last edited:
Great London broil, Bill. I'm with you - I like mine a little more on the rare side but I've learned it's better to not always cook to my tastes.

Bill, this may be presumptuous of me, but can I ask if the London Broil absorbed the marinade enough that you could taste it? Reason I ask is b/c lately I've been using a Jaccard (puts tiny knives into meat) which seems to serve two purposes: First, it opens the meat up and makes it more receptive to marinades so the flavor gets deeper into the meat; and Second, it tenderizes the meat. Many folks have had great suggestions on this site so I hope you don't mind me adding my $.02. Great looking cook, Bill. Hope all went well with the CEO, et al. :)

Bill, this may be presumptuous of me, but can I ask if the London Broil absorbed the marinade enough that you could taste it? Reason I ask is b/c lately I've been using a Jaccard (puts tiny knives into meat) which seems to serve two purposes: First, it opens the meat up and makes it more receptive to marinades so the flavor gets deeper into the meat; and Second, it tenderizes the meat. Many folks have had great suggestions on this site so I hope you don't mind me adding my $.02. Great looking cook, Bill. Hope all went well with the CEO, et al. :)

Hello Mickey, I do have a Jaccard. Many years now and when I do it my way I always use it. This recipe does flavor the meat nicely on the outer 1/4" of meat all around and that does add a nice flavor. You can tell as soon as you cut it how deep it runs. One thing I found with a Jaccard is not to run it to deep on beef, especially something like the thickness of this cut or less. You tend to lose to much juice from the meat if you do. And the CEO was very happy, thanks for asking.

Looks great Bill! I'm lucky, Barb likes her beef rare enough she has to chase it around the plate.

Dinner at your house looks delicious!
I've forgotten about London broil - haven't cooked one in 15 years, I bet.
You've inspired me - will have to give it a whirl one day soon.

Yes I like my beef rare but yours looks delicious and I love the sides! Awesome job as always my friend!

Thanks for clarifying and sharing your insights on Jaccard vs non-Jaccard marinating, Bill. You know, writers are told to "write to your audience", so I suppose we grillers tend to "grill for our audience". In your case, if the CEO likes it done a particular way then it's very smart to do it the way he likes. :cool: Sounds like a great cook, some fun times, and some points scored. Well done, Sir!

Great job Bill. For me it's always nerve wracking making one of Kim's signature dishes. Looks like you did a great job.

We-l-l-l, that's why she is CEO... You're a good VP for following instructions, though!

Good call, Brian. I have to read "carefully" all day, so I definitely don't read as carefully here and I flat missed that she is the CEO. Kudos. Hopefully Bill wasn't insulted by my gaffe.

Back