The Birds of Valentine’s Day

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Yesterday we did a couple of game hens with a basting sauce I saw on Bills post that he used on a duck he grilled.
Barb made some grilled acorn squash that she found in Weber’s Steak & Sides book called Acorn Squash with Brown Butter and Garlic.
We also made a stuffing and also some pan gravy from the birds drippings.
Two gassers got the call “freebie” my Ducane did the birds on the Rotisserie with the infrared back burner. Barb used the E320 for the acorn squash.
Dinner came out great really liked both new dishes and we will be doing them again.

Basting sauce for Birds 1/4cup honey, ¼ cup orange juice, 1Tbs. of Herbes De Provence
DSCN1278_zpsp2hh7wkp.jpg

Barbs glaze consisted of butter, brown sugar, minced garlic, kosher salt, black pepper, nutmeg, cider vinegar
DSCN1282_zpsy7f1ho1e.jpg

Barb putting glaze on
DSCN1285_zps9meofkzc.jpg

DSCN1286_zpsrte9mrjz.jpg

Dueling gassers
DSCN1291_zpswp0zreus.jpg

Birds at ½ hour
DSCN1294_zps0txwzztj.jpg

Squash done
DSCN1301_zps4atwfsfj.jpg

DSCN1303_zpsw504ahdh.jpg

Birds done
DSCN1305_zpst7oejrg8.jpg

Plated
DSCN1310_zps023hadin.jpg

Have a great week

Those birds look awesome. I've learned a lot from yours and Barb's posts. Thanks for sharing.

Love that cook!!! From the the thread title..... was kinda worried that it might be Alfred Hitchcock inspired.
You are quite a team.

I like it! My neighbor brought some squash like that over a few weeks back - (and apple pie tonight :) ) I know it was good. HVD you two.

Hi Rich & Barb,good looking cook as usual.

How did you find/rate cooking with the infrared burner as opposed to your usual roti on the genny 1000?

Did you just use the IR or the IR for a while then finish with the main burners?

Hi Rich & Barb,good looking cook as usual.

How did you find/rate cooking with the infrared burner as opposed to your usual roti on the genny 1000?

Did you just use the IR or the IR for a while then finish with the main burners?

Hi Stephen,

Used the IR for the whole cook. Started on med/high and the last 15 minuets on high to give the birds a char. The IR is nice because there is no heat under the drip pan so the drippings don't burn. Other than that not a lot of difference, but I've only used it for one whole chicken and the game hens.
The other thing I like about the Ducane is the N/S burners vs. the E/W on the 1000, both have their strong points but the N/S seems a little easier to control.
Kind of feel bad as the 1000s only use was for the roti work now it just sits covered up.

Back