Temperature Problem

Cecil

TVWBB Fan
Was smoking some baby backs on the WSM for the fourth(actually did them on the third). Set up the smoker and lit coals as I usually do. The temps ran at 225-250 for an hour before I put the ribs on. After I put them on and was running for a while i noticed the temperature showing on my maverick was at 145 but the lid temp showed 250 and the one I installed at the top grill level was about 230. I trust the Maverick more than I do the other two for the more accurate temps so I opened the vents a little more. I left and went to town to get some ice for the beer and on the way back i was thinking about my temp problem when it hit me. When I got back lifted the lid and i was right about my suspicions. I had in inadvertently laid one of the cold ribs on the Maverick probe. Kicked my self in the rear a few times for being so dumb and continued to smoke the ribs as usual. They came out great as did the chicken, sausage ,pork . and burgers and we all had a great 4th of July BBQ on the third.

I hope every one had a great and safe 4th.

Well I'm glad you caught it and everything turned out a-okay!
I'm a top venter, so I don't have to deal with issues like that.:)

Tim

I out-clevered myself a year or so ago while cooking 3 rolled racks of ribs on the top grate of an 18.5. I clipped the probe under the grate because I couldn't find a good location on top. After a couple of hours, the temp was swinging all over the place. I was opening and closing vents and chasing it to no avail. I finally took a close look and saw that grease was dripping onto the probe. I dope-slapped myself and had another beer.

Jeff

Hehe. Should add a forum thread (similar to the Kitchen Tips and Hints thread): What NOT to do when smoking ;)

I was smoking a chuck roast for pepper stout beef. I had the mini up to 250 and took the roast out to get it going. Barb came out and asked me a question. After that I went in the house and checked the maverick and it read 250 & 65. An hour later it read 250 & 62 which I thought was odd. I went out to take a look and here sits the meat probe on the table and the roast is in the mini. I was reading the outside temperature.

We all buff up once in awhile, makes us human not amateurs.
It's good to have a laugh, and share this with others so they don't make the same brainfart that we had.:)

Tim

We all buff up once in awhile, makes us human not amateurs.
It's good to have a laugh, and share this with others so they don't make the same brainfart that we had.:)

Tim

It seems that the older I get the brain farts come with more regularity.

Back