Teaching an old 1998 Summit dog some new 2023 Weber Crafted Kitchen tricks!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I have posted a lot about the 1st generation Summit I bought from @LMichaels. After a long slumber disassembled, I was so happy to be able to finally get it all redone and turn it into my daily driver gas grill. It is old school, but in a good way. I have never enjoyed grilling more than on this old Summit.

As most know, Weber has come out with their "Crafted Kitchen" accessories to replace the earlier GBS system. The big advantage of the new series is a larger area to swap out accessories compared to the rather small GBS round opening. Weber designed these to primarily work in the newest Genesis grills (but they also work in the previous Genesis II ones). As an accommodation, they also made a version of the underneath "holder" grate in a size to fit in the Spirit 300 grills (and later also aimed these at the SmokeFire pellet grill). Weber never mentioned that this means that this Spirit 300 set will also fit in most any Genesis from the first 1-5, on to the x000, and all the way to the Silver/Gold/Platinum grills. They do, and that means they also fit my 1998 Summit 450.

So, I am getting ready to give this system and a couple accessories a tryout and see how my old Summit does with a new set of toys:

ACCESSORY UNDERNEATH HOLDER GRATE (Note the thin "filler" cast iron piece. On the larger current Genesis this part is a good bit thicker.)

I used an 3rd generation Summit stainless narrow grate to make a filler grate on the left. I had to cut it down both ways, but it works fine. This Summit has a smoker box that could probably be put underneath this left section.

IMG_2879.jpeg

SEAR GRATE INSTALLED
I like that on this Summit, the Weber Crafted Kitchen piece centers over three burners, even though the Summit doesn't have a special "sear" burner. It doesn't need one with 50,000 btus in the same size firebox as a Genesis x000/Silver.

IMG_2878.jpeg

GRIDDLE ACCESSORY INSTALLED (Oil is from Weber's packaging. This griddle still needs to be seasoned before using.)
IMG_2881.jpeg

OK, is this system a gimmick? Absolutely! I don't care. It is still a fun one. The sear grate is not at all necessary, as my Dave Santana/rcpplanebuyer grates can do just as well with a little diagonal flip and good timing:

Cooking Maiden Voyage Steaks.jpeg

Nonetheless, it is a fun thing to have, and I look forward to trying it out. Also, this grate flips over, with a narrow side that is good for things like fish or vegetables vs. the thicker side for steaks and chops.

The griddle, I think, is a more practical addition. It is large enough for most of my needs, and it eliminates the need for another grill. My wife likes that at least!:LOL:

Stay tuned, and I will post actual grilling as I am able.

p.s. I took the opportunity to do a light cleaning inside my Summit. Scraped off stainless flavorizers and the porcelain firebox that angles down to the long narrow drip tray. Cleaned that and cleaned the removable drip pan and replaced the foil liner. I also wire brushed my burners. It was a good opportunity to look things over.

THE GOOD NEWS: My Summit seems to be holding up, and the stainless reinforcement panels I installed with high heat RTV show no signs of slipping.:coolkettle:

Looks fantastic Jon! I miss cooking on my Summit 450 but know my niece and her husband are enjoying it as their first grill and will for a long time. Enjoy!

Good to see the old grill doing it's part yet. One thing I see that I don't remember is those 2 phillips head screws on top of either side of the firebox side rails.

Fun stuff there Jon. I love the customization going on there. That is pretty much a Do-it-All grill now.

Looks good Jon! Hadn’t even crossed my mind that they could be used on older grills. And since Weber would like to move new grills, I get why they wouldn’t advertise them as such. Which I get

Like your new toys Jon. Unfortunately, my go to gas grill is the E320. The Genesis 2000 is pretty much a yard ornament now, haven't fired it up in over a year or more now.
Sure do like that Summit 450, really a classic grill that's a real work horse.

It's very interesting and cool you have fitted parts of the system in an older Summit. The system will fit into my E325 Genesis II but would require I purchase the new grates to fit as well....I'll wait until there are aftermarket versions...but the wok holder has great potential.

Good to see the old grill doing it's part yet. One thing I see that I don't remember is those 2 phillips head screws on top of either side of the firebox side rails.
Good eye, Larry! The original screws, as best I can remember, were non-stainless, black, and sat flusher. It made them a little less conspicuous. They were a bear to remove. I came up with these stainless screws as the best fix I could find. No worries about rust at least, and easier to remove if the time comes in my life expectancy to do another all-out restore.

Oh, I found a "before" picture that shows them:

BEFORE - Firebox side.jpg

Like your new toys Jon. Unfortunately, my go to gas grill is the E320. The Genesis 2000 is pretty much a yard ornament now, haven't fired it up in over a year or more now.
Sure do like that Summit 450, really a classic grill that's a real work horse.
@Rich Dahl,

There sure isn't anything wrong with a sidewinder as your go to!

Weber bypassed the whole 300 series in making their Crafted Kitchen series. Like TimA mentions, they are - understandably from a business perspective - more interested in selling new grills. I think they made the smaller adapter only to be able to offer it on the current Spirit 300 and SmokeFire. It is now a standard issue on the "Sear" version of the latest SmokeFire. Good for us older grill fans that the Spirit 300 has the same size grates as the early Genesis grills.

With some searching, you may still be able to find the Weber GBS grate for the 300 series. I had one, but I sold it as part of my over the top 330 SE sale. You may have seen that I cut that grate to make it possible to center the removable circle over the "Sear Station" extra burner on that grill:

GBS Sear Grate Insert.jpeg

NEW Closeup Lead Picture.jpeg

I think the part number for the GBS grate for the Genesis 300 series is 7587. I looked but cannot find the old email invoice from when I bought a set, otherwise I could confirm for sure.

I think the part number for the GBS grate for the Genesis 300 series is 7587. I looked but cannot find the old email invoice from when I bought a set, otherwise I could confirm for sure.
Looks like you are dead on, Michael. No longer available on Amazon:

Here's one at a steep price on eBay:

Thanks for helping dig that out, Jon. Hopefully there are still some floating around for those who want them.

The 7mm stainless Crafted grates for the current series of Genesis are $199 MSRP, and slightly less on Amazon:

I know the Ace exclusive comes with 9mm stainless grates, but those aren’t available separately at this time.

I tried out the seat grate this afternoon. As I said before, it certainly isn’t necessary, but it does work well:

IMG_2886.jpeg

IMG_2887.jpeg

Sad looking chop in back is my wife’s, devoid of the Dizzy Pig “Tsunami Spin” seasoning used on the others.

I have posted a lot about the 1st generation Summit I bought from @LMichaels. After a long slumber disassembled, I was so happy to be able to finally get it all redone and turn it into my daily driver gas grill. It is old school, but in a good way. I have never enjoyed grilling more than on this old Summit.

As most know, Weber has come out with their "Crafted Kitchen" accessories to replace the earlier GBS system. The big advantage of the new series is a larger area to swap out accessories compared to the rather small GBS round opening. Weber designed these to primarily work in the newest Genesis grills (but they also work in the previous Genesis II ones). As an accommodation, they also made a version of the underneath "holder" grate in a size to fit in the Spirit 300 grills (and later also aimed these at the SmokeFire pellet grill). Weber never mentioned that this means that this Spirit 300 set will also fit in most any Genesis from the first 1-5, on to the x000, and all the way to the Silver/Gold/Platinum grills. They do, and that means they also fit my 1998 Summit 450.

So, I am getting ready to give this system and a couple accessories a tryout and see how my old Summit does with a new set of toys:

ACCESSORY UNDERNEATH HOLDER GRATE (Note the thin "filler" cast iron piece. On the larger current Genesis this part is a good bit thicker.)

I used an 3rd generation Summit stainless narrow grate to make a filler grate on the left. I had to cut it down both ways, but it works fine. This Summit has a smoker box that could probably be put underneath this left section.

View attachment 77344

SEAR GRATE INSTALLED
I like that on this Summit, the Weber Crafted Kitchen piece centers over three burners, even though the Summit doesn't have a special "sear" burner. It doesn't need one with 50,000 btus in the same size firebox as a Genesis x000/Silver.

View attachment 77345

GRIDDLE ACCESSORY INSTALLED (Oil is from Weber's packaging. This griddle still needs to be seasoned before using.)
View attachment 77346

OK, is this system a gimmick? Absolutely! I don't care. It is still a fun one. The sear grate is not at all necessary, as my Dave Santana/rcpplanebuyer grates can do just as well with a little diagonal flip and good timing:

View attachment 77347

Nonetheless, it is a fun thing to have, and I look forward to trying it out. Also, this grate flips over, with a narrow side that is good for things like fish or vegetables vs. the thicker side for steaks and chops.

The griddle, I think, is a more practical addition. It is large enough for most of my needs, and it eliminates the need for another grill. My wife likes that at least!:LOL:

Stay tuned, and I will post actual grilling as I am able.

p.s. I took the opportunity to do a light cleaning inside my Summit. Scraped off stainless flavorizers and the porcelain firebox that angles down to the long narrow drip tray. Cleaned that and cleaned the removable drip pan and replaced the foil liner. I also wire brushed my burners. It was a good opportunity to look things over.

THE GOOD NEWS: My Summit seems to be holding up, and the stainless reinforcement panels I installed with high heat RTV show no signs of slipping.:coolkettle:
G'day Jon,
I've recently picked up an older Platinum series II, stupidly (or not) I purchased some crafted outdoor items, a baking stone, and a double-sided sear grate for a great price. Little did I realize it isn't quite compatible with my older model... I just want to confirm that the Spirit 300 frame will fit with the model I've picked up? Was very happy to see there might be some solution to my dilemma.
Thanks Jon
Alex

(I've attached a picture of my bbq for reference.

Attachments

• 405958302_1049102599628881_8026511085181550173_n.jpg
    405958302_1049102599628881_8026511085181550173_n.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 11
Yes, the Spirit 300 version will also work in any “classic” Genesis including your Platinum Series II. I am very glad Weber elected to make that size, even though they don’t advertise the compatibility with these older grills.

Back