TAILGATE WEEKEND WEEK 9

Chuck_B

TVWBB Wizard
WOW...WEEK 9....

Anyway, it's november. Time is flying by for football fans! Giants are 5-2 coming off a bye week and the cowboys still only have 1 win...ahhh...

So what cooks are planned for the weekend!? Unsure on this end. Might be doing some grilling of some sort and possibly a brisket on the WSM. Really kind of low on funds currrently so...we shall see!

I haven't been on so much over the passed few weeks but I'm hoping to now be back on track!

Lets see..My Chiefs are at 5-2 and it's Raiders week!
I think I'm going to try a chuck roast for some pulled beef soft tacos. I'm thinking, salt, pepper, fresh mince garlic, mince green onion and jalapeno then throw it in the smoker. ....something like that.
What is the finish temp for chuck for pulled beef by the way. I've never done one.

Bill not sure if finsihed temp is really important here. I did one a couple of weeks ago and foiled at 160* in a foil pan. Then cooked an additional 3 hours until it was fork pullable. I did cook this using Larry Wolfe's pepper stout beef recipe and it was awesome. I shared this cook here and on another forum and many have tried it and loved it!Look in the recipe beef section to get the details straight from Larry! Vince

I'd really like to take advantage of what should be a decent day here in Cleveland and use the smoker but unsure what route I want to go. I'd like to try brisket or pulled pork but the time allotment isn't there unless I do an overnight cook which I'm not confident enough yet to do

any ideas?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BrianAD:
I'd really like to take advantage of what should be a decent day here in Cleveland and use the smoker but unsure what route I want to go. I'd like to try brisket or pulled pork but the time allotment isn't there unless I do an overnight cook which I'm not confident enough yet to do

any ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm doing two pork butts overnight, starting late tonight. I offered to bring pulled pork for a nephew's birthday party tomorrow. Pork butt is very forgiving, go for the overnight cook. Just get it started a couple of hours before you want to go to bed, get it stabilized at your target temp. Then wait an hour or so and check the temp. That usually gives me enough confidence to go upstairs and sleep like a baby, knowing everything is going just as well as it would be if I was awake.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BrianAD:

How 'bout high heat brisket? Only takes 4-5 hours.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vince B:
Bill not sure if finsihed temp is really important here. I did one a couple of weeks ago and foiled at 160* in a foil pan. Then cooked an additional 3 hours until it was fork pullable. I did cook this using Larry Wolfe's pepper stout beef recipe and it was awesome. I shared this cook here and on another forum and many have tried it and loved it!Look in the recipe beef section to get the details straight from Larry! Vince </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vince thx...Just checked out the Week 7 thread. I'm going to use a beef stock instead of beer. Not crazy about stuff cooked in beer (I know that's sacrilege..lol). I'll post pics as I go along. GO CHIEFS
http://www.wildbillschiefs.com/downloads/tdkc.mp3

cecil, if i had a'liner tix and knew your address, i'd beeline down there for your gumbo without thinking!

butt then, i don't think about too much anyway...
icon_rolleyes.gif

GO LSU!

Probably a late response Brian as you have probably decided but a HH brisket isn't a bad bet. As russell said it only takes 4-5hrs. Let us know what you decide.

Hey Vince you are normally a dedicated Tailgate Weekend guy what are you planning on cooking?

Bill, Ethan, Cecil your cooks sound good! Post some pics when you're done.

You planning anything Russell? How about you Jim?

Here we go it's saturday! Post those pics! I might not be doing a brisket now as my friend supplying it got called into work...maybe tomorrow...Probably just do some basic grilling. Got to hit the store to see what I can find!

My tailgate weekend started yesterday with 4 racks of ribs (1 St. Louis and 3 loin backs) 10 thighs, jalapeno n cheese sausage links and..................... my 1st can o spam, bet that makes george c happy! Today is whole chicken on the little WSM and another on the kettle rotiss. Rack of St. Louis on the big WSM. Going to take the spare scraps after smoking and make some bbq beans with no. 5 sauce and blackburn syrup to go with a 8lb butt that will go on tonight for lunch tomorrow for some friends to come pick up.

Not sure what I'm gonna do in my spare time
icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe watch the Razorbacks win and watch LSU win
icon_cool.gif
icon_wink.gif

You're right Chuck, at 5-2, the Giants are making us fans happy.

Today, I have a small 3.5 pounds pork shoulder with a 3 pounds Chuck roast for tonight. (I think it's what it's called) First time I'm doing pulled beef so I'm a bit anxious to see how it will turn. I may need a few beer to calm down a little. Good news! Turns out my Sam Adams stock are at their highest right now. (No Sam Adams in Quebec)

http://ia69hq.bay.livefilestor...-06%20001.JPG?psid=1

http://ia69hq.bay.livefilestor...-06%20002.JPG?psid=1

Greetings from the Dark Side! My Raiders and your Chiefs should be a great one on Sunday. And ain't it great that our teams have something on the line together for a change? I love a Raiders-Chiefs game when it matters.

As for me, Tri Tip hits the smoker later today (Saturday) with plenty of leftovers for the game on TV tomorrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill S.:
Lets see..My Chiefs are at 5-2 and it's Raiders week!
I think I'm going to try a chuck roast for some pulled beef soft tacos. I'm thinking, salt, pepper, fresh mince garlic, mince green onion and jalapeno then throw it in the smoker. ....something like that.
What is the finish temp for chuck for pulled beef by the way. I've never done one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael M.:
Greetings from the Dark Side! My Raiders and your Chiefs should be a great one on Sunday. And ain't it great that our teams have something on the line together for a change? I love a Raiders-Chiefs game when it matters.

As for me, Tri Tip hits the smoker later today (Saturday) with plenty of leftovers for the game on TV tomorrow.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know...When was the last time a Chiefs v Raiders game actually meant something.
icon_cool.gif

Would love to try a Tri-Tip. Never seen them around here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russell McNeely:

How 'bout high heat brisket? Only takes 4-5 hours.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was actually going to go this route until I saw the weekly ad for the grocery store had pork butts on sale. So I ended up with 2 4lb (biggest they had). I also picked up a 6lb bone in turkey breast. I'm just going to wake up early in the AM and figure it out from there. Only a couple of people are coming over this week since its a home game so might just have to order a pizza until the BBQ is ready

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
cecil, if i had a'liner tix and knew your address, i'd beeline down there for your gumbo without thinking!

butt then, i don't think about too much anyway...
icon_rolleyes.gif

Jim just let me know I'll give you directions you are welcome anytime. We have some great tailgates at LSU.

LSU 24
Bama 21

GO LSU! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yesterday I worked my tail off in the backyard clearing brush and making a compost bin, to make use of all the leaves that have been falling around here. Hopefully the hard work will payoff come spring when we build our vegetable garden.

Today I'm enjoying myself... watching the jets and lions right now and having a beer. I just threw on two slabs of ribs with an chinese five spice rub on them. I'm going to finish them with an asian honey glaze hopefully around half time of the Giants / Seahawks game.

Hope everyone enjoys their games!

Back