Tailgate WEEKEND Week 5 (10/9-10/10) + TGW 4 (10/2-10/3) archive

Mr Brown went pretty good. Just got done having it a few minutes ago. I felt the recipe might have had a little to much pepper for my tastes however with the Carolina Red sauce it was pretty good If you do not mind all the vinegar. I myself have become addicted to the #5 sauce from the forum here and to be honest I love it on pulled pork. This 4lb butt believe it or not cooked for 13hrs. I think with moping and opening the lid to add other things might have added to the total cook time. It was very juicy and very little fat. Pulled at 205*.

The chicken wings turned out great and I will definitely be making more of these real soon. The one thing I would have liked better is if the sauce was a little thicker. I think next time I will try to cook it down a bit to see if that helps any. I did make some abts this week to go with the hot wings.Here are some pic's from this weekends cook!

wingsbutt009.jpg

wingsbutt012.jpg

wingsbutt017.jpg

wingsbutt020.jpg

wingsbutt021.jpg

wingsbutt023.jpg

wingsbutt028.jpg

wingsbutt030.jpg

wingsbutt033.jpg

wingsbutt042-1.jpg

wingsbutt045.jpg

Vince everything looks great! Excellent bark on the pork butt and the ABTs & Wings look awesome! Sorry for the late reply.

What temp did you cook at that it took 13hrs?

Those look great Vince. Especially like the look of those wings. Well done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_B:
Vince everything looks great! Excellent bark on the pork butt and the ABTs & Wings look awesome! Sorry for the late reply.

What temp did you cook at that it took 13hrs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The temps were set for a L/S @ 250*. Stayed that way for most of the cook with a full ring of K. This little butt was the most stubborn one I have ever cooked. Not sure but I did have the lid off more than normal with adding other things and I also mopped the but per the directions. I think this added to the cook time. Thanks for the comments Chuck and Jim. Now what to make for week 5!

yeah the lid being off more than normal probably did it. Think you need a second WSM!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Week 5 menu is still up in the air for me. Still waiting on who is coming. The good news is that it won't be terrible weather like last weekend! Somethings mentioned were a HH brisket, stuffed chicken breasts, beef ribs etc.

Anyone got it planned out yet?

Yes a second wsm would be sweet! Not sure if I'll be cooking this weekend or not. I have a foot issue that kind of is slowing me down. Lets just alcohol shots in your foot suck! Have to see how I feel tomorrow and if I'm up to going to the store. However having the wife wait on me hand and foot has been nice today.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vince B:
Yes a second wsm would be sweet! Not sure if I'll be cooking this weekend or not. I have a foot issue that kind of is slowing me down. Lets just alcohol shots in your foot suck! Have to see how I feel tomorrow and if I'm up to going to the store. However having the wife wait on me hand and foot has been nice today.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The alcohol shots are supposed to go down the throat! That sucks Vince. I have had cortisone shots right in the knee cap before and those really hurt! The wife taking care of you is always nice though.
So I’m off to work for a few hours, got one of my friends headed to restaurant depot. Final menu for this weekend to be posted later!

TAILGATE WEEKEND WEEK 5 (10/9-10/10)

So who else is tailgating this weekend??? Here in southern NY we have bright skies with a high of 70. Tomorrow more of the same with a high of 68. Not as windy as last weekend but at 10-20mph may make a little challange for me with the smoker. So who has what planned for this weekend!?

Despite me limping around I had to cook something. The burgers were great. 1lb ground beef, 3 tbs bread crumbs, 2tsp onion powder, 2tsp Worcestershire, 1tsp garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Mixed by hand and made into 4 burgers. Grilled on the Smokey Joe for 6 minutes a side and cheesed 90 seconds before the second 6 minutes was up! Delicious if I do say so myself. Sorry no pic's. Vince

Awesome Vince! Glad you were able to get some cooking done with the bad foot!

I actually cooked both days. Saturday night was simple for the most part. Hot sausage, burgers and dogs for some of my friends girls aaaaand stuffed chicken breasts. I kind of made up my own recipe by pieceing things together from various other recipes. So basically as it was going and I got questions, I really had no answers hahaha.

Today I had a slab of pork ribs left I made on the kettle and 11lbs of beef ribs on the smoker. All came out awesome! Sorry I don't have time for the pics tonight but tomorrow I will post them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corey Elks:
did you smoke those wings at 250 as well? they look nice and crisp. were they finished over direct? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cory the wings I made last weekend were smoked at 250* for two hours. Because I was making a bunch of stuff I tossed them in the fridge for a couple hours until we were ready to eat. I then heated up some oil to crisp them up for a few minutes and then into a bowl to toss with the buffalo sauce. Served up with blue cheese and some rabbit food on the side.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_B:
Awesome Vince! Glad you were able to get some cooking done with the bad foot!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm definitely feeling better today. Next batch of shots are scheduled for next Friday...
icon_frown.gif
Made up some Perch Fillets from our August fishing trip tonight for dinner with a side of seasoned taters! Not BBQ but we did eat them while watching football.

fishfry003.jpg

fishfry004.jpg

yummy!! yeah it's not bbq but you still eat it!

So here are my pics from this weekend. Saturday was BBQ night. Stuffed chicken was the main get. No need to take pics of the other stuff. First time I was doing these. Thin sliced chicken breasts, finely chopped mushrooms and onions and breadcrumbs. Melted a 3/4 stick of butter, added mushrooms and onions. Once those got soft I added breadcrumbs and padded them down till they start to look wet. Took off to cool. Then wrapped'em up and grilled.

Stuffchickenprecook.jpg

stuffedchickendone.jpg

stuffedchickencloseup.jpg

stufedchickencloseup.jpg

Sunday was beef ribs. Two slabs totalling a little more than 11lbs. Rubbed with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, paprika and a little bit of cayenne pepper.

beefribswithrub.jpg

5 hours in
5hrsbeefribsonsmoker.jpg

6hrs then 30min rest
Beefribsafterresting.jpg

Beefribbarkcloseup.jpg

beefribssliced.jpg

Very juicy. They were a big hit! Thanx for checking out the pics.

Chuck, Those beef ribs just blew my mind. Great job. They looked really tender and juicy. Also a nice "handle" for easy eating.

Back