Tailgate WEEKEND Week 5 (10/9-10/10) + TGW 4 (10/2-10/3) archive

Chuck_B

TVWBB Wizard
TAILGATE WEEKEND 4 (10/2-10/3) below.

TAILGATE WEENEND 5 (10/9-10/10) starts on page 2!

Since I started this post back a few weeks ago, I called it TAILGATE SUNDAY because I am a NFL fan and I tailgate for the games. Many however cook on saturdays as well and have been kind enough to post cooks they have done. So in the spirit of NFL fans, College Football fans and all on this board, from now on lets call it: TAILGATE WEEKEND!

We are already to Week #4 how time is flying! My Giants look terrible and will play the undefeated Bears Sunday night. They better play a lot better than last week and maybe not take 6 personal foul penalties! By game time, all cooks will be completed. I'm not entirely sure what I will be cooking this weekend yet. I might just be doing some grilling this weekend as I have to work on saturday for a little.

So does anyone have any ideas for their weekend cookings yet?

I'm cooking fajitas for 40+ on Saturday. Sunday will likely be leftovers. Although I'll probably want to do something...

We're having Ed C. and his wife over on Saturday and we were just talking about what to have. We've narrowed it down to Garlic Burgers or Turkey Breast or Ribs or Prime Tri-tip or Stuffed flank steak (stuffed with prosciutto, Fontina cheese and basil leaves) with a Cabernet wine reduction sauce or Cedar planked salmon. Decisions decisions.

EDIT: the commas should have been "or"

EDIT II: Decided on garlic burgers. Will more than likely have have the turkey breast and a top round going as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">or </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
We're having Ed C. and his wife over on Saturday and we were just talking about what to have. We've narrowed it down to Garlic Burgers, Turkey Breast, Ribs, Prime Tri-tip, Stuffed flank steak (stuffed with prosciutto, Fontana cheese and basil leaves) with a cabernet wine reduction sauce or Cedar planked salmon. Decisions decisions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah you can call it that...dear god Larry hahaha

Got a 7.5 lb pork butt in the fridge. I'll be trying "The Renowned Mr. Brown" recipe for the first time. I can hardly wait. Also planning to make a simple coleslaw and have some potato chips on the side.

Go Sooners!

Planning on grilling some wings and making some ABTs for a football party tomorrow night.

A friend of mine that moved out of town is visiting and asked that I have people over my house to watch the return of McNabb. I am not sure on the whole menu but am thinking of chili, corn bread, and mini taco bowls, and Miller Lite. We will see by Sunday if anything else gets added

Heck Larry, just do the flank steak stuffed with prosciutto, Fontana cheese and basil leaves, then you can take pics and have people drool all over what you cook. LOL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russell McNeely:
Got a 7.5 lb pork butt in the fridge. I'll be trying "The Renowned Mr. Brown" recipe for the first time. I can hardly wait. Also planning to make a simple coleslaw and have some potato chips on the side.

Go Sooners! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're going to love it ... Maybe not the Sooners, but defiantly the "Renowned Mr. Brown!"

I'm doing leftover Tri Tip sandwiches before VT takes on NC State ... Go Hokies. Sunday I'm hoping my Browns make a Bengal Tiger sandwich, but I really doubt that will happen
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Buzz Price:]

You're going to love it ... Maybe not the Sooners, but defiantly the "Renowned Mr. Brown!"

I'm doing leftover Tri Tip sandwiches before VT takes on NC State ... Go Hokies. Sunday I'm hoping my Browns make a Bengal Tiger sandwich, but I really doubt that will happen
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have high hopes for both but I'll take what I can get!
icon_biggrin.gif
. It's about time for OU to win one against Texas.

I'm off to work shortly but for this weekend I think I'll be doing some skirt steak, wings and maybe finally try some ABTs.

Good luck for all your cooks and don't forget to post some pics!

Wow lots of great posts for this week.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Carter:
I'm going to get after some smoked buffalow wings this weekend. I'm planning on doing this recipe: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken8.html

One question, should I cook them hotter, like 300-325 or should I stick with the 225-250 like it says in the recipe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike this looks like a great idea. I have not made wings in a while and I like the idea of smoking them and then frying. I used another recipe that called for breading them and smoking that I found on this site. Believe it or not they were pretty good. Thanks for the idea. Vince

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vince B:
Wow lots of great posts for this week.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Carter:
I'm going to get after some smoked buffalow wings this weekend. I'm planning on doing this recipe: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken8.html

One question, should I cook them hotter, like 300-325 or should I stick with the 225-250 like it says in the recipe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike this looks like a great idea. I have not made wings in a while and I like the idea of smoking them and then frying. I used another recipe that called for breading them and smoking that I found on this site. Believe it or not they were pretty good. Thanks for the idea. Vince </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have a fryer like in the recipe but am planning on crisping them up directly over the coals for a few minutes at the end of the cook. I love charred wings.

You're right Vince. Lots of good post. Can't wait to see some pics.

Miguel I commented on your ribs on your other post but worth another comment. They looked excellent! Nice job!

Well it looks like I'm going to be busy tomorrow. Tonight we went to the store to do our normal weekly shopping. They had some great sales this week on meats. I decided I had a taste for steak sandwiches for dinner. Tomorrow thanks to Mikes suggestion above I will try the hot wings from the recipe section( http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken8.html ) and a small 4lb pork shoulder using "the renowned Mr Brown pork butt" recipe. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html. I bought some jalapeno peppers and bacon to make some ABT's and I might make some more moinks for snacks.

DINNER TONIGHT
This was a basic sandwich with mozzarella cheese, sauteed mushrooms and onions served up on some fresh Jimmy Johns bread. First I gave them a light spray of olive oil. Then I lightly rubbed the thinly cut steaks with a steak rub and sprinkled some worcestershire on them. Got the gasser up and running. Tossed the mushrooms and onions in a couple of foiled pans with a couple of scoops of country crock, a splash of evoo and a little seasoning salt to taste.

Let them go in the grill until the mushrooms were almost done. I then went into the house to grab the steaks and the fresh cut mozz that I prepared on my slicer. To my surprise I find that I'm out of gas. Ohh shoot time to fire up the indoor gasser(stove) to finish dinner. With the broiler on high and a little bit of replanning dinner was a success!

Sorry no pic's from dinner but the sandwiches were a hit. I did use a little bit of A1 on the bread to add a little flavor. Basically cooked the thin cut steaks for a few minutes on each side. When they were close I piled on the shrooms and onions topped with some fresh cut mozz. Back into the oven until the cheese melted. Then sliced the steaks in strips and packed them in to the JJ bread. Good eats for sure.

After dinner tonight I prepared a batch of rub per Mr Browns recipe and rubbed my little butt. Wrapped in saran until tomorrow morning when I decide to get up and fire up the smoker to start my day! Being this is a small cut I figure I should be able to do this while I make other things on the wsm tomorrow. Sounds like we will eat well for lunch and dinner tomorrow. See you all tomorrow! Vince

As I said earlier we decided on the garlic burgers and boy were they garlicky. I went with a full head of garlic in 3 lbs of ground chuck 80/20. Used the ice water method that I have such good luck with. Burgers were awesome. Ed C. brought some great brats and I picked-up some wings at the last minute and did them with a great hickory seasoning. I threw the breast on for sandwiches and salads this week. Also did my Chipotle Ranch pasta salad that turned out great!

The Lite and MGD 64 went down quite nicely and had great company.

EDIT: Just made myself a turkey sandwich and the breast was out of this world. Moist, nice hint of cherry wood, awesome. These breasts are on-sale, think I'm going to go back and buy a couple more.

SO...how did everyone's cooks go?

Larry Everything looks yummy!

Vince how did the "Mr. Brown" butt go? I have used that recipe several times and loved it!

So my cook...disaster! Not because I screwed something up mind you hahaha. It was SO windy here I was going to go nuts! First to make you laugh...we had the remains of a tropical storm blow through here...Wednesday/Thursday. Tropical storm means humidity! It was so humid my wife who is never as warm as I am wanted the AC on which was fine with me! Saturday morning say 3am, it was so windy and it was a cold wind the it woke us up and we had to get blankets out of the closet! Same thing on Sunday. Winds were 15-20 but as some of you know, I live directly on the water. With nothing blocking the wind so it was much stronger and constant! Then it was raining too! So I did all my cooking inside. Didn't bother taking any pics because I was annoyed and bummed out.

I ended up freezing the skirt steak, made wings and chili. Wanted to do ABTs but I didn't like the peppers I found at the store and my garden peppers I have pulled in and cooked already. Others are drying out. But luckily I didn't get them because I would have really been disappointed. One of my friends brought over a stir fry he made also so we had plenty of food. Weren't many of us anyway.

At least the Giants won!

Back