TAILGATE SUNDAY WEEK 3 (pics added!)

So...here are my pics from my Tailgate Sunday.

Two briskets. One 15.5lbs and one 15.69lbs. Rub was paprika, black pepper, onion salt, garlic salt, celery salt and dark brown sugar. Injected with Beef Stock.

IMG00124-20100924-2101.jpg

IMG00127-20100925-0908.jpg

4.5hrs in
brisket.jpg

6.5hrs in
IMG00131-20100925-1519.jpg

8hrs in
IMG00134-20100925-1838.jpg

Did well with maintaining temp at 250 but I'll get to that in a second. I only had the vents (all of them) open 10%. I'm right on the water as you can see from the 4.5hr pic and the wind was steady so I had to barely keep them open or I was going to have a major spike that would have been hard to get rid of. Also I have a lot of pics because some people couldn't make it and my friend and I wanted to make folks jealous.

Here are the finished products.
Brisket #1 and close up
IMG00135-20100925-2101.jpg

IMG00136-20100925-2101.jpg

Brisket 2 and close up
IMG00140-20100925-2231.jpg

IMG00141-20100925-2231.jpg

And here is one of them sliced.
IMG00144-20100925-2242.jpg

I did take more pics of it sliced but I was slightly drunk and they came out fuzzy.

I just start foiling the pan only and not using water. Has worked out really well except for one thing. The bottom grate is hotter which is kind of annoying because it's just that...the bottom grate. When I was using water it was the opposite. This has happened with the four pork butts I made plus these briskets. I have to remember that because I had to pull the bottom brisket off and hour before the top brisket. It wasn't over cooked at all but I had to take top off and put it in my kettle and removed the bottom brisket then put it back. I just took the whole grate off and dropped it into the kettle because at that point I wasn't using the it anymore. It's just a pain. I also have to remember it so I can put a surface thermometer on the bottom grate. Lid temp read 215, top grate surface thermometer read 250 and the bottom must have been at least 25 degrees hotter if not more.

Aside from the briskets, made 5lbs of hot sausages on the grill, 5lbs of sweet sausages on the grill, 10lbs of chili (5lbs of 73/27 ground beef and 5lbs of beans) in the slow cooker, 3lbs mac and cheese, slaw, garlic bread and home made plain bread.

Overall a great success! My friends brother came by since he was in town. He gave me a real ego boost because he loves this brisket near where he lives and he said I crushed it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Overall a great success! My friends brother came by since he was in town. He gave me a real ego boost because he loves this brisket near where he lives and he said I crushed it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is awesome. Whenever I get that feedback it just makes me want to cook some more! Nice work.....

...after lookin' at this photo... i started eeting my monitor "but I was slightly drunk and"... i woke up a bit "fuzzy".
FANTABULOUS COOKIN' Chuck!!!

Recently I was reading a thread on another forum that the topic of discussion was smoked meatloaf. I mentioned to the wife and she said lets do it for the games this weekend. The recipe that I chose was one called Griff Loaf. The recipe came from a cook from Anchorage, Alaska. Here is the recipe for those that would like to try it.

1/2 cup Bread Crumbs, Dry -- Try Progresso Italian
1/4 cup Milk, White
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 cup Onion Sweet -- Diced ?ne
3 clove Garlic -- Minced
1 1/2 lbs Ground Beef
1 lbs Pork Sausage
1 Egg, Large -- Lightly beaten
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
6 dashes Worchestershire
Salt -- To taste
Pepper, Fresh Ground -- To taste

Saute the diced onions in the oil until they turn golden (about 10 minutes). Mix the bread crumbs
in the milk. Mix everything together and form into loaf (I use a loaf pan to form the loaf and then
turn it out onto the parchment paper). I smoke the loaf on a piece of parchment paper cut as
close to the size of the loaf as possible. With the WSM that allows all the grease to drain into the
water pan and the smoke penetrates the bottom of the loaf making a smoke ring there as well. I
smoke at 300-350* until the loaf hits 170-175*, 2 - 3 hours. Sometimes I put a red sauce
(ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard to taste) on top for the last half hour or so.

It was completely awesome. Keep in mind I personally have never made ML and this is a dish the wife usually makes for us. Well after dinner she said that she will never make ML ever again! It's my job now!

The idea of not using a loaf pan kind of scared me because the wife has always used one when making this ML in the oven. I went out and bought my first ever roll of parchment paper and followed the directions almost to a T. After doing this we both said that we would only use the wsm to make ML. Also using the parchment seemed to totally eliminate the greasy/oily ML we had had in the past. I did add a second egg to the mix because the ones I had seemed small and almost two lbs of meat I figured it could not hurt.

I used a loaf pan to make my two loafs and then placed them on parchment paper. From there they went straight to the wsm. I did make a glaze which I would consider a modified #5 sauce from the tvwbb. Basically a 50/50 mix of catchup and brown sugar with some worcestershire sauce, BBQ rub and apple cider vinegar added to make a BBQ sauce style glaze.

The wife and I pretty much polished off a whole loaf by ourselves! Here are the pic's! Vince

brisket035.jpg

brisket037.jpg

brisket038.jpg

brisket046.jpg

brisket055.jpg

Vince, those loafs look awsome! A Greal alternative to some of the other recipes I've seen. Did you use any smoke wood, and if so, what kind did you use? I must say, you really have my interest peaked on this one, it looks so good.

Thanx a lot Jim. I've got to say just looking at the pics now a few days removed all I want to do is fire up the smoker again with a few more briskets and hope I can get it to be that good again!!!

Vince the meatloaf looks amazing! Meatloaf has been something I have been wanting to do for some time now. This def inspires me to get my butt in gear and just do it! Thanx for posting the pics!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim (the grillaholic):
Vince, those loafs look awsome! A Greal alternative to some of the other recipes I've seen. Did you use any smoke wood, and if so, what kind did you use? I must say, you really have my interest peaked on this one, it looks so good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for the late reply. I used two chunks. One cherry and one apple.

Back