Tacquito Tuesday

Tim Campbell

TVWBB Guru
My family is trying to be more consistent about steadfastly maintaining Taco Tuesday. Or Fiesta Friday. Depends on our schedules. My wife and I are far more adventurous about food than our son, who will basically only eat ground beef tacos in a hard shell on such occasions.

So I have no pics of his tacos, but I did whip up a fair approximation of some chicken taquitos. Darryl inspired me here.

Spatched and smoked a 5 pounder.
20230808_162636.jpg

Temps stayed steady at 240ish throughout. Roughly 3 hours on the bird.
20230808_182938.jpg

Homemade tortillas! I dig my press. Gift from my much better half.
20230809_090303.jpg
20230809_090510.jpg

I par fry each tortilla in a hot pan for like 5 seconds/side. Couple of brown spots.
20230809_090557.jpg

Chicken pulled after a short rest. Mixed with stick-blended onion, garlic, crushed tomatoes, etc. Some aji amarillo for kicks. I used about half the mixture, which made 8 tacquitos.
20230809_094539.jpg

Then a longer fry on the tortillas. Stayed pliable. Lettuce, cotijo. Ready to roll.
20230808_221147.jpg

Plated. Some really decent refried beans joined the Fiesta (thank you, Mark Bittman). Tomatillo salsa and sour cream.
20230809_092222.jpg

Paired quite well with about 1/4 bottle of good bourbon 😃. Thanks for looking!

OH!....I seen the title and had to check this one out.
This cook is insane, puts mine to shame.......
Both you and Michael really show off some killer Mexican type dishes......to be honest mine do taste great but they never have as much work into them as you guys.....
I could use a guy like you around here lol, was it 10 hours I was saying before?
The bourbon was a nice touch but the fact that you put together everything including your own shells......as much I as I want to make the best Mexican dishes around here I have no problem stepping back a few places.......and you guys know who you are.

OH!....I seen the title and had to check this one out.
This cook is insane, puts mine to shame.......
Both you and Michael really show off some killer Mexican type dishes......to be honest mine do taste great but they never have as much work into them as you guys.....
I could use a guy like you around here lol, was it 10 hours I was saying before?
The bourbon was a nice touch but the fact that you put together everything including your own shells......as much I as I want to make the best Mexican dishes around here I have no problem stepping back a few places.......and you guys know who you are.
Thanks, Darryl. Honestly, your cooks blow me away. I couldn't have done this without you and Brett. You guys rock the Mexican dishes.

Thanks, Darryl. Honestly, your cooks blow me away. I couldn't have done this without you and Brett. You guys rock the Mexican dishes.
You’re too kind. Thank you. Thirty years ago I knew nada about MX food, except that I couldn’t eat and get enough of it. My props go to many Mexican chefs and friends that have taken time to share with and teach me over many years. Their families and heritage deserve the props. I’m following their lessons.

While I appreciate the nod, I have only been making these dishes a short time......much shorter than Brett....
I also am very aware that my exposure to real traditional and probably the best Mexican grub is also no where near what anyone over Cali way can get there hands on, I take what information I can get and use it to my abilities.
So far Carnitas and carne asada have been my best dishes....and the fire roasted salsa's. I take some every day in my lunch. I tell the MRS it's how I get my veggies in me......I don't eat a ton of veggies to be honest. 1 full blender every 2 weeks does the job and we eat it at home during the week too.

My family is trying to be more consistent about steadfastly maintaining Taco Tuesday. Or Fiesta Friday. Depends on our schedules. My wife and I are far more adventurous about food than our son, who will basically only eat ground beef tacos in a hard shell on such occasions.

So I have no pics of his tacos, but I did whip up a fair approximation of some chicken taquitos. Darryl inspired me here.

Spatched and smoked a 5 pounder.
View attachment 76537

Temps stayed steady at 240ish throughout. Roughly 3 hours on the bird.
View attachment 76542

Homemade tortillas! I dig my press. Gift from my much better half.
View attachment 76543
View attachment 76544

I par fry each tortilla in a hot pan for like 5 seconds/side. Couple of brown spots.
View attachment 76545

Chicken pulled after a short rest. Mixed with stick-blended onion, garlic, crushed tomatoes, etc. Some aji amarillo for kicks. I used about half the mixture, which made 8 tacquitos.
View attachment 76546

Then a longer fry on the tortillas. Stayed pliable. Lettuce, cotijo. Ready to roll.
View attachment 76547

Plated. Some really decent refried beans joined the Fiesta (thank you, Mark Bittman). Tomatillo salsa and sour cream.
View attachment 76548

Paired quite well with about 1/4 bottle of good bourbon 😃. Thanks for looking!
Looks as good as it sounds!

What time next Tuesday?

I really want to have the desire to make tortilla shells and everything else that goes with it.
What stops me????
Probably the same thing that stops me from making my own pizza dough.....while I do buy fresh pre made dough....I already know it can be better.
And I have a mouth that can pick up on those things.....made pizza dough every day for a small part of my life and making changes would result in end product changes.......
So I guess I just sort of deal with what I can get as far as dough goes........back in the day I would sell raw dough over the counter to people so they could go home and make pizza......but I cannot imagine any place around here except one that would do that and has great dough.
I don't have the real estate at my house for yeasts and flours ect.......or a mixer, I see you guys and your fancy kitchenaid and all the fancy gizmos.....how much I would love the attachment that flattens pasta dough and then cuts it.........and make pizza and bread dough.......ect
That turned into a mini rant.......

Last edited:
Daaaaaannnnnggggg!!!!

That looks damn delicious!! Well done!
I keep coming back......can't stop looking........reminds me of birria taco visually.
Which I will be making again, last time was lousy due to really bad shells I tried for the first time...they basically fell apart.

I really want to have the desire to make tortilla shells and everything else that goes with it.
What stops me????
Probably the same thing that stops me from making my own pizza dough.....while I do buy fresh pre made dough....I already know it can be better.
And I have a mouth that can pick up on those things.....made pizza dough every day for a small part of my life and making changes would result in end product changes.......
So I guess I just sort of deal with what I can get as far as dough goes........back in the day I would sell raw dough over the counter to people so they could go home and make pizza......but I cannot imagine any place around here except one that would do that and has great dough.
I don't have the real estate at my house for yeasts and flours ect.......or a mixer, I see you guys and your fancy kitchenaid and all the fancy gizmos.....how much would love the attachment that flattens pasta dough and then cuts it.........and make pizza and bread dough.......ect
That turned into a mini rant.......

Lol. Nah, I get it. My wife often lives by the "Why make it if there's something better nearby" mentality. I agree mostly.

I'm a terrible baker except pizza dough and sometimes tortillas. The flour style is more forgiving, imo. I used Crisco instead of lard...taste isn't nearly as good but it's fast.

I am by no means any expert on lard or anything similar.
I have been braising in lard recently and use the pic below.....it says lard and I can see a difference but it might not be what I want to put in my body.......I need to start a lard thread........lard = love I heard.

1691610608796.png

Back