Sunday brisket

Dean V

TVWBB Pro
17# prime packer. Heavy on salt and pepper, light on onion and garlic powder. Also injected some beef broth.

Ready to come off the WSM after 12 hours and forty minutes. I have a good feeling about this one. The probe went in like hot butter without any force.

Sliced up

And plated

It was good!

Last edited:
Looks fantastic Dean! I have a 17 pounder in the freezer I'm thawing out in a week or so. Boy, 17 pounds in 12 hours. What temp did you run your smoker?

Wow, that's a thing of beauty.

So, that's roughly 40 min or so per pound. Not surprised. I've found a couple of things in my brisket cooks: 1) More marbling (like prime) speed up cook times; and 2) wet aging Choice packers in bottom of refrig has same impact. However, on the latter, my cook times drop to about 1 hour per lb from 1.25 hrs per lb. through wet aging. 40-45 min per lb. is pretty quick.

Anxious to hear how it ate up.

Looks fantastic Dean! I have a 17 pounder in the freezer I'm thawing out in a week or so. Boy, 17 pounds in 12 hours. What temp did you run your smoker?
Right. The last couple of briskest I've cooked I had to take to 205 IT to achieve probe tender but this one was there at 190. I almost waited another 5 degrees before checking so lesson learned. I didn't pay too close attention to temps because it cooked while I slept but it was at 214 at lights out and 235 or so at each of the three annoying bathroom trips. This WSM has really gotten solid at maintaining a set temperature after about 3 months of steady use. I love it.

Wow, that's a thing of beauty.
So, that's roughly 40 min or so per pound. Not surprised. I've found a couple of things in my brisket cooks: 1) More marbling (like prime) speed up cook times; and 2) wet aging Choice packers in bottom of refrig has same impact. However, on the latter, my cook times drop to about 1 hour per lb from 1.25 hrs per lb. through wet aging. 40-45 min per lb. is pretty quick.

Anxious to hear how it ate up.
I think prime or choice is worth the money and the aforementioned marbling was the reason for the quicker cook.

Dean, do you mind me asking where'd you find it (store, mail order, etc.) and what Prime brisket packers are roughly going for per lb?

Back