Summit Kamado question

Mark Foreman

TVWBB All-Star
I‘ve had my E6 for a bit over one year and love it. But in perusing options and add ones, I have not seen too many. Contrast this to a myriad of add ins, options, and upgrades for the venerable Weber Kettle.

My question is … is the lack of options/add ons due to lower sales volume or do people see them as not needed? Or is there something else going on here?

Just curious…..

I find the E6 is very versatile without too many additions. I use the Vortex a lot to concentrate the heat and save fuel, that is my main addition that I use. The diffuser plate that comes with the E6 is great for low and slow. I considered a temperature control unit but found out that I really don't need it because temperature control is amazing on the E6. I bought a pizza stone and only used it once so far. My humble opinions.:)

The kettle's been around for decades... Over the years the after market has evolved, and there is a huge base for this aftermarket.

No idea what the sales volume total is for the WSK.

There might be some add-on items that will work on the WSK without any product changes. I'm sure some of the items on ceramic grill store for 24 inch ceramic kamados will work well on the WSK, but some may not fit just right.

I've seen some hints of rotisserie and a pizza "wedge oven" but nothing I've seen has made me want one now...

What add-ons are you wanting Mark?

Big Green Egg EGGspander - 2 pc. XL Multi-Level Rack 23 in.​

The kettle's been around for decades... Over the years the after market has evolved, and there is a huge base for this aftermarket.

No idea what the sales volume total is for the WSK.

There might be some add-on items that will work on the WSK without any product changes. I'm sure some of the items on ceramic grill store for 24 inch ceramic kamados will work well on the WSK, but some may not fit just right.

I've seen some hints of rotisserie and a pizza "wedge oven" but nothing I've seen has made me want one now...

What add-ons are you wanting Mark?
not really looking for anything in particular. I use the CBs a lot including as a vortex. I have a couple of CI grill plates I use as well.

I set out to find a grate that did not have the center piece (don’t use it or need it). In that search, I found few if any add ons. Got me to thinking….

So, like I said, just a curiosity thing.

The other thing that really surprised me as I surfed was the physical number of companies selling gas, wood, charcoal, electric, and pellet grills. Whoa! There is a bunch of em’. At the end of the day, I‘ll keep my WSM, SE-335, and E6.

I just bought a couple Kamado Joe (Big Joe) half moon accessories (the half moon griddle and the cast iron cooking grate), but only because I was in the Lowes here and they were on clearance. I love cooking with charcoal on the UPPER grate so these give me a couple toys to play with. I just really haven't needed much of anything else, but I would probably pick up a rotisserie if one was cheaper...the options I can get are both a TON of $$ here....

If I can find a Kamado Joe stainless steel half moon cooking rack, I'll probably get one of those too....just because...certainly not needed.

Last edited:
I see the E/S6 as perfect. The only thing I'd add is a roto spinner. But that's not a need, but a want. I see myself burning through CB's over time, so I'll need new ones of those. I have done just about every style and kind of cook on the E6 I set out to achieve since buying it.

I'm beyond happy, so much that I bought the S6 because I wanted the table space!

I still have yet to use my gasser in over a year now. I'll be cleaning her up, S670 Summit if anyone wants one, NG too, and selling her and the E6 soon. I can live with the S6 alone and be super happy.

I haven't felt the need for any accessories other than a rotisserie; but, since I have one for my kettle, it's not a shortcoming I feel constrained by. If one ever became readily available in the U.S. (and didn't require any modification to fit correctly), I'd buy it, but until then I'm happy with everything else the E6 can do.

(I do use my Vortex in the E6, but since that's readily available and works in the kettle, too, I don't regard it as a Summit Kamado accessory.)

I see the E/S6 as perfect. The only thing I'd add is a roto spinner. But that's not a need, but a want. I see myself burning through CB's over time, so I'll need new ones of those. I have done just about every style and kind of cook on the E6 I set out to achieve since buying it.

I'm beyond happy, so much that I bought the S6 because I wanted the table space!

I still have yet to use my gasser in over a year now. I'll be cleaning her up, S670 Summit if anyone wants one, NG too, and selling her and the E6 soon. I can live with the S6 alone and be super happy.
I need to figure out a way to get an S6 in the line up.

Keep the gasser… spare the air days are coming…

I need to figure out a way to get an S6 in the line up.
Craigslist. Search term is Weber Charcoal and save the search results and have automatic emails sent to you. When new listing pop up, pop in to see if the S6 is there and go for it. Or buy it new with warranty. It’s worth it either way.

For me, since it’s no moving or mechanized parts, I was okay w/o S6 warranty and I’ll buy and needed parts and still be ahead financially.

I don’t think we get charcoal bans here. @DanHoo , can you confirm, advise if you recall any? (We live nearby each other).

I've been in the greater metro area since early 80s and have never heard of any charcoal bans.

Sac county has winter time bans when the inversion layer sets in and there is no wind. Summer Air Quality is ozone ( cars ) or particulate ( wildfires)

winter time bans on fireplaces:

The Sac Metro Air District's annual Check Before You Burn season runs from November 1 through the end of February. This wood burning regulation, Rule 421 Mandatory Episodic Curtailment Of Wood And Other Solid Fuel Burning, restricts or prohibits the use of all fireplaces, woodstoves, inserts and pellet stoves when fine particle pollution (PM2.5) is forecast to be high. This law applies to residents and businesses in unincorporated Sacramento County, Citrus Heights, Elk Grove, Folsom, Galt, Isleton, Rancho Cordova and Sacramento.

notable excerpts:

EXEMPTION – COOKSTOVES: The provisions of this rule shall not apply to cookstoves.

definitions:

COOKSTOVE: Any wood fired appliance used primarily for cooking food as described in Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Section 60.531.

I've been in the greater metro area since early 80s and have never heard of any charcoal bans.

Sac county has winter time bans when the inversion layer sets in and there is no wind. Summer Air Quality is ozone ( cars ) or particulate ( wildfires)

winter time bans on fireplaces:

The Sac Metro Air District's annual Check Before You Burn season runs from November 1 through the end of February. This wood burning regulation, Rule 421 Mandatory Episodic Curtailment Of Wood And Other Solid Fuel Burning, restricts or prohibits the use of all fireplaces, woodstoves, inserts and pellet stoves when fine particle pollution (PM2.5) is forecast to be high. This law applies to residents and businesses in unincorporated Sacramento County, Citrus Heights, Elk Grove, Folsom, Galt, Isleton, Rancho Cordova and Sacramento.

notable excerpts:

EXEMPTION – COOKSTOVES: The provisions of this rule shall not apply to cookstoves.

definitions:

COOKSTOVE: Any wood fired appliance used primarily for cooking food as described in Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Section 60.531.
Pass me another oak split, please 😂

@Brett-EDH Are you really going to sell the E6? Or, just put it up for sale and claim you couldn't get your asking price ;)
Going up for actual sale. Need to clean her up first so she’s pretty. Grill and cover included. $1100 asking.

And the S670 NG for $1600. Comes with roto, sear burner, rear roto burner and smoker box. All SS.

Craigslist. Search term is Weber Charcoal and save the search results and have automatic emails sent to you. When new listing pop up, pop in to see if the S6 is there and go for it. Or buy it new with warranty. It’s worth it either way.

For me, since it’s no moving or mechanized parts, I was okay w/o S6 warranty and I’ll buy and needed parts and still be ahead financially.
I’d buy new in a heartbeat, I need to get the wife on board. I currently have no need so I’m good.SF is doing the smoking and pizza and the performer and 26” can split time.

Back