Suggestions for a New Smoker Under $600?

BenM

TVWBB Fan
2/11/24

Good morning everyone.

I own a 22" WSM and love it! It is my "go to" smoker.

In addition my WSM, I currently own a Traeger Pro Series 34. I bought this in April 2021, and have had nothing but trouble with it over the past 12 months. I've had to replace the thermostat, hot rod, and now, the entire controller. I've had it with Traeger.

I am selling it and looking to buy a new pellet rig to go along with my WSM. My budget is between $500-600. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

BTW - Enjoy the Super Bowl!

Well, one thing to understand is pellet grills have electronics and electrically "consumable" parts i.e. the igniter rod, and so on. So if comparing them to say a WSM, WSK or even an offset stick burner which have no electronics/electrical in them, they will be more "problematic" (though IMO the ease of use and safety of no open fire) makes them worthwhile. So over the course of close to 3 years your Traeger experience does not seem unreasonable. Another thing about Traeger is they use pretty much "off the shelf" parts. Why not simply upgrade the parts and be done with it. You can buy WAY better parts for that Traeger in your budget than the collection of parts you would be able to buy an entire pellet grill for.
There are plenty of resellers and some such as SmokeDaddy make top quality parts actually right here in IL

I have a Lil Tex Traeger and put in all stainless steel insides plus a new computer board to replace the original PID board. It's been trouble free for years but now the jinx is on.:ROFLMAO: My cousin has a Rec Tec and it is all stainless steel inside and is lower cost than Traeger's. I would probably buy one if me pellet pooper dies.

The Weber Searwood looks promising, but it’s $900 to start. I don’t think you’ll find a pellet grill in the range you’re looking at, and if you do, expect problems. Truth be known, if you want a problem free pellet grill, you’re looking at $3K and if you’re going that way, Memphis is one to consider

Also check out the thread I began on the new Member's Mark. I have the little brother to that one for 18 mos now and I LOOOOVE it. Only kicked myself that I did not buy 2 of them. WAY WAY better than nearly any Traeger I've seen BTW (as long as you don't equate size with "quality"

Camp Chef might have a couple models in your price range. @Rich Dahl might be able to offer some advice. I believe Lew also used to have one that he was fond of.

Pit Boss is seriously the only viable option in that price point. They are good quality for the cash layout and proven to be so
Agreed. Other than the MM that Larry talks about, I think Pit Boss is probably the best bang for your buck.

I think the new Weber Searwood pellet line is replacing the Weber SmokeFire pellet line. Maybe you can get a good deal on the outgoing SmokeFire models at a local retailer or online. I think someone on this forum saw the Smokefire EX4 on amazon for $695 this past December.

Also, I've seen used SmokeFires on Facebook Marketplace for $300-600. Most seem to be in great aesthetic/functioning shape. However, some sellers note a fixable electrical issue they don't feel like dealing with.

I don't have any experience with pellet grills so I don't know how well they perform over time.

I’m thinking about putting a shine on my SF and & for sale sign. It’s great when it’s working, not so great when it’s not. Best of luck with your pellet grill acquisition

Oklahoma Joes makes great charcoal smokers but I heard negative reviews on the Rider pellet smoker/grill.

Oklahoma Joes makes great charcoal smokers but I heard negative reviews on the Rider pellet smoker/grill.
Yeah, Timothy, I think the Rider looks kind of cool, but I have heard the same thing. I guess Oklahoma Joe was once a great name, but I think that they have gone downhill.

I bought my Camp Chef PG24 MZG about 5 years now and it has been flawless. It's a basic unit no Wi Fi and a non PID controller. I use my smoke to monitor it. I have to say after a few hundred cooks it's been absolutely perfect. Zero failures! It also has no issues with whatever brand of pellets I use.
I was going to upgrade it with a PID controller as it does have a pretty wild temperature swing with the non PID controller, but I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the $150.00 Camp Chef wanted for the gen two PID controller for it.
Well for whatever reason when Amazon had their one of their big sales it popped up for $50.00 and I jumped on it after verifying that it was the same model numbers as Camp Chef had.
As soon as spring arrives, and I can take it out of hibernation I'll install it.
Their support group is equally excellent, all the times I've asked questions the response has almost been instant.

The one below comes with a non-Wi-Fi PID controller.

I bought my Camp Chef PG24 MZG about 5 years now and it has been flawless. It's a basic unit no Wi Fi and a non PID controller. I use my smoke to monitor it. I have to say after a few hundred cooks it's been absolutely perfect. Zero failures! It also has no issues with whatever brand of pellets I use.
I was going to upgrade it with a PID controller as it does have a pretty wild temperature swing with the non PID controller, but I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the $150.00 Camp Chef wanted for the gen two PID controller for it.
Well for whatever reason when Amazon had their one of their big sales it popped up for $50.00 and I jumped on it after verifying that it was the same model numbers as Camp Chef had.
As soon as spring arrives, and I can take it out of hibernation I'll install it.
Their support group is equally excellent, all the times I've asked questions the response has almost been instant.

The one below comes with a non-Wi-Fi PID controller.

I’m showing a 20% coupon at this link as well for a net of $491. Camp Chef quality and under $500? Yes, please.

The pitboss did have a 6 year warranty, bought mine before it went to that, had my Austin lx for 5-6 years been great so far, bought the son a PB5 vertical and think I like it better.

if I were getting another pellet and wasn't planning to spend a lot of money for a yoder or a rectec, I'd look for a used PitBoss Pro with a non-PID controller.

Not sure if you get any around you but this one is $225. It is pretty good size and the basic pit boss controller/motor/auger assemby is drop dead simple and replacement parts should it be needed are cheap.

There are options to replace the controller with an aftermarket PID controller, but for me I found the time-based setting just fine for smoking.

Add a Thermoworks Signals or a Smoke x4 to monitor meat / pit temps and your still under $500 for a good size smoker that just works.

1708118777204.png

I appreciate everyone's advice, tips and ideas. I researched the hell out of this, went to stores, and looked at videos, and reviews. I decided to pick up a Pit Boss Pro 850. I got it for $525 at Lowes. The price includes free delivery and setup. It also has a five-year warranty, shelf, cover, and wifi. It'll be delivered on Friday (2/23).

My first cook will either be a pot roast or ribs; depends on what the family votes for :)

Once again, thank you to everyone for your advice.

Back