Stubb's Charcoal

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
how many briquettes in one 15 lb bag of Stubbs charcoal?

stubbscharcoal1%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

I'm getting ready for an early Saturday morning brisket cook...
.....so I stacked the contents of an entire bag into my 22" WSM :wsm22:

stubbscharcoal4.jpg

can you guess how many came out of this ▲ bag? (not including the ONLY 3 broken ones)

stubbscharcoal3.jpg

Hint:
more than 250
less than 300

how many briquettes in one 15 lb bag of Stubbs charcoal? Hint: more than 250 less than 300
I figured each charcoal at .05 of a pound which would be 300, but since you said less than 300 (and have 3 broken ones) I say 297

Good choice of charcoal...who wants to bet Jim's Brisket is going to be off the hook

you guys are close.
thanks for the kind comments....
my fingers are crossed.
haven't done brisket in ages (last year was only a 4 lb flat, doesn't count)

how many briquettes in one 15 lb bag of Stubbs charcoal?

stubbscharcoal1%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

I'm getting ready for an early Saturday morning brisket cook...
.....so I stacked the contents of an entire bag into my 22" WSM :wsm22:

stubbscharcoal4.jpg

can you guess how many came out of this ▲ bag? (not including the ONLY 3 broken ones)

stubbscharcoal3.jpg

Hint:
more than 250
less than 300

Interesting question. I use Stubbs all the time. I've never thought to count the the briquettes.

Don't be a big tease.:) Just tell us.

I gotta say 3 broken coals ain't bad, probably just about average if you, or whoever is stocking the shelves in the store, don't throw the bags around.

Jim, I'm curious to know what you think of the time it takes before the Stubb's is ready to use for cooking. I found it takes about twice as long as KBB, which I quit using after I tried Stubb's.

And I wonder why it takes longer? I'm not complaining, mind you, I think the stuff is great.

I picked up 3 15lb bags today, in fact. $7.87 per at Walmart here in Florida. What's the price in Wisconsin?

Well one thing for sure Stubb's is a great charcoal smell's good on light up and thru out the entire cook

Has anyone else noticed that the Stubb's briquettes take longer than other briquettes in the chimney before they're ready to use?

This is by no means a complaint, merely an observation. I love the stuff. I'm just curious as to the why.

I'll be curious on your feedback of that charcoal Jim. Lowes has it but I don't see the reason for the extra cost?

I've never used Stubbs but I'd like to see how everyone likes it. I've used Kingsford Competition a couple of times but I always end up back with old blue. Is there a big difference?

Jim, I'm curious to know what you think of the time it takes before the Stubb's is ready to use for cooking. I found it takes about twice as long as KBB, which I quit using after I tried Stubb's. And I wonder why it takes longer? I'm not complaining, mind you, I think the stuff is great.

Has anyone else noticed that the Stubb's briquettes take longer than other briquettes in the chimney before they're ready to use? This is by no means a complaint, merely an observation. I love the stuff. I'm just curious as to the why.
Because Stubb's is not engineered to light faster like Kingsford is. In a recent post, you discounted ingredients such as sodium nitrate (an oxidizer that causes charcoal to burn more intensely) and sawdust that act as ignition aids. K has diagonal grooves on one side that create more surface area and more edges for faster lighting. And the new formula as of January 2015 supposedly "increases airflow" in the briquets, whatever that means (more porous mixture?), for faster lighting. Thus the claim that K is ready 25% faster than other brands.

it fired up fine using the Weber mini chimney over the gas assist on the Crimson Weber Performer :blueperformer: (←not a Crimson Performer ;) )

it fired up fine using the Weber mini chimney over the gas assist on the Crimson Weber Performer :blueperformer: (←not a Crimson Performer ;) )

Jim does the Stubb's give off a lot of white smoke at fire up like KBB? I like KBB but because we are so close to our neighbors it's just going to be time before some one complains about all the smoke. I get serious white outs when I fire KBB up in the chimney.

Jim does the Stubb's give off a lot of white smoke at fire up like KBB? I like KBB but because we are so close to our neighbors it's just going to be time before some one complains about all the smoke. I get serious white outs when I fire KBB up in the chimney.

Cook a little extra and pay off the complainer. If that doesn't work, I guess you'll have to move.:)

Yes, Rich, there was plenty of white smoke... I waited at least 20 minutes before adding the meat to the Weber

Yes, Rich, there was plenty of white smoke... I waited at least 20 minutes before adding the meat to the Weber

Jim,

How's that brisket looking?

Also, how did the Stubb's compare to KBB as far as white smoke?

I haven't used KBB in ages so I have no basis for comparison.

Rich... How do you ignite the KBB? I use one Weber Lighter Cube directly under the chimney with KBB, and have very little smoke, at least none that a neighbor could complain about.

i'll let you know in a little while Shaun...
usually, Stubbs produces less ash than The King, but more than lump.

Back