Stoker Log 4.2

I think an option of keeping the alarm local to the stokerlog would be awesome. I keep my stoker inside the house, when the stoker goes off its pretty loud. I couldn't imagine what my neighbors would think if it was outside! It's bad enough when my wife yells at me about it in the house.

Kenny Davis

Kenny, I just learned how to do this the other day. Do not set alarms on your Stoker unit then set them on Stokerlog, but DO NOT hit update stoker and only Stokerlog will alarm. Worked like a charm.

Originally posted by Amir:
But I can also apply calibration in my program. It would not then be in sync with what the stoker itself shows. But when I use my program, I totally ignore what the box says anyway. Would that work?

Seeing as calibration is a "set it and forget it" item I would vote for keeping out of the logging application.

Originally posted by Bob Hunter:
Amir,
I would prefer not to send the alarms to the Stoker. Keep them local to the Stoker log.

Thanks Bob. I am too lazy to make this programmable
icon_smile.gif
. So unless I hear otherwise, I will modify the program to

a) not highlight the button to send the alarm command to the stoker

b) if you do ask stokerlog to modify the stoker (say, to change targets and such), it would tell it that no alarms should be set.

Everyone OK with the two things above?

P.S. I am making excellent progress on Version 5.0. Should be able to post a stable build before the weekend.

Originally posted by A. Vale:

Seeing as calibration is a "set it and forget it" item I would vote for keeping out of the logging application.

Good. One less thing for the todo list
icon_smile.gif

I am totally if favor of your changes. I never want the the Stoker to make a sound.

The most challenging thing about calibrating the probes was finding the correct boiling temp. But if I had guessed 212, I would have been 1.5° off. I'm not that picky. It's way more difficult finding the best place to stick you probe in the meat. That can cause variations of >30°.

The most difficult part in calibrating your probes is boiling the water. The procedure is in my book, if some does not have it, I'll scan it and post it.

Amir, are you planning to do direct SMTP e-mail out of the application? If so, you should make people aware that some Internet Security software will try to block it. It'll drive you nuts.

Originally posted by Ken Brown:
I am totally if favor of your changes. I never want the the Stoker to make a sound.
Done!
icon_smile.gif

The most challenging thing about calibrating the probes was finding the correct boiling temp. But if I had guessed 212, I would have been 1.5° off. I'm not that picky. It's way more difficult finding the best place to stick you probe in the meat. That can cause variations of >30°.
Didn't realize it could be that far off. I usually get 10 degree variation between the meet on top and lower grates on mine and lately, I have given up and seeing both hit target. When the first one goes above its target by a couple of degrees, I pull it off whether the other one is also there or not.

The most difficult part in calibrating your probes is boiling the water. The procedure is in my book, if some does not have it, I'll scan it and post it.
I have never done it as the proceedure is not in my book, nor do I see it in the stoker Menus. So appreciate a quick line or two on how to do it. Or is it in the 0.5 doc on Rock's web site?

Amir, are you planning to do direct SMTP e-mail out of the application? If so, you should make people aware that some Internet Security software will try to block it. It'll drive you nuts.
Yes, I am using SMTP. I assume thie block happens because these programs have a "white"/safe list that includes programs that normally send email (e.g. outlook) and block others. Otherwise, I can't tell how it would know the difference between me using SMTP and other programs like it.

What was the work-around for them?

Didn't realize it could be that far off. I usually get 10 degree variation between the meet on top and lower grates on mine and lately, I have given up and seeing both hit target. When the first one goes above its target by a couple of degrees, I pull it off whether the other one is also there or not.

I have found that due to the nature of meat, some parts heat up faster than others. I notice this mostly in thick pieces of meat such as turkey and port butts. I've struggled on where to place the probe for some time until I got my Thermopen. For a good example of what I'm talking about, look at my last cook on two pork butts. SuperBowlButts
At the beginning of the cook, look closely at a tag called "Change Probe Location" It you look at the temp lines above and left, you will see one temp line is >20° above the other. That's when I opened the dome, then used my Thermopen to locate the coolest interior temp on that butt. When I found it, I re-inserted my stoker probe in the same place. The 2 temps from 2 different butts started running along the same temperature line throughout the cook. I always re-check probe location around 45 minutes into the cook to make sure I am in a cold spot.

I have never done it as the proceedure is not in my book, nor do I see it in the stoker Menus. So appreciate a quick line or two on how to do it. Or is it in the 0.5 doc on Rock's web site?

I was unable to find specific instructions on probe calibration, and might have just assumed "how to" in the first place. I've never been one to read instructions before screwing something up. But I didn't screw it up and it must have worked. So here's how I did it.

Work with only one probe at a time. After finding the h2o boiling point for your back yard, or takeing your best WAG, get the water boiling in a pot with at least 3" of water. You don't need the stoker connected to the net. From the main menu, choose Temperature control, the select scan from the menu choices, with the probe plugged in, it will show the current temp, so dip just the probe tip, 1" on the control probe, 2" on the food probe, into the boiling water in the middle of the pot. On meat probes, you can dip it further, but remember one thing. If you submerse the probes wehre it joines the wire, it is most likely ruined. Be carefull. Leave it there until it stabilizes (10-20 seconds) Make a note of the temp. If it's within a degree or 2, you're done with that one. If not, put the probe aside. From the main menu select "Temperature control" again , this time cycle through the sub menu until you see CAL, press select. You will see a number, somewhere around 32, if your probe is reading to low, increase the number by half the temperature difference of you actual and calculated value. So if it 6° low, up you calibration number by 3. Going the other direction is obvious so I won't repeat my self. Go back to the Scan Section and take another reading, and re-calibrate if needed. If it turns out that I sent you in the wrong direction the first time, sorry, it's been a while. I only had to adjust one of mine and it was about 5° off. Now they are all with 2° of each other at 150°.

Yes, I am using SMTP. I assume thie block happens because these programs have a "white"/safe list that includes programs that normally send email (e.g. outlook) and block others. Otherwise, I can't tell how it would know the difference between me using SMTP and other programs like it.

What was the work-around for them?[/QUOTE]

The work-around is to find the offending program block and add your stokerlog to the approved list. I know Larry had an issue with Mcaffee, but I'm not familiar enough with that to be able to point the exact menu option to turn it off. It's just best to warn them before they find the problem. The other problems I have found is with the ISP's. Some will not relay without credentials, some require SSL. I have found Gmail to be the easiest to work with. It uses credentials and SSL, but you can send to any address any time.

I suppose that would assume that the port number of the stoker itself could be changed.

Hi Ken,

I requested this feature. It is necessary because we can't change the HTTP port number for the Stoker - it's always fixed at 80, which is a problem if we want to use Stokerlog from the Internet beyond our home routers and our ISPs block Port 80. By changing it in Stokerlog, I can set my router up to translate traffic on a specific WAN port to port 80 on my LAN, and provide a path to my Stoker for Stokerlog from the outside world. Just about any DLink router will allow this (and probably others too, but definitely not my old Netgear WGR614). My ISP does not block Telnet traffic, so we're in good shape here for that using the default port for Telnet.

I'm able to monitor cooks while away using the Stoker web interface - this change will let me run Stokerlog too!

Jack

I understand Jack. I never really considered running StoekrLog remotely, but that should work if you're able to also do the telnet as well. My router is so funcky, I can't get port 80 or 23 remotely and I've tried everything. I bought a new router but has a problem and won't even hook up to the INTERNET. If you don't mind me asking, what router are you using at home?

Ken

I understand Jack. I never really considered running StoekrLog remotely, but that should work if you're able to also do the telnet as well. My router is so funcky, I can't get port 80 or 23 remotely and I've tried everything. I bought a new router but has a problem and won't even hook up to the INTERNET. If you don't mind me asking, what router are you using at home?

Ken

Ken,

I am using a D-Link DI-524. I had a Netgear WGR613. It allowed port forwarding but it did not do port translation. I could open up Port 80 just fine, but my ISP blocks it "at the cable modem", and I need a "bu$ine$$" account to get Port 80 to pass. They don't want anyone running home HTTP servers.

So, I gave the Netgear to a friend after I found the DI-524 on Craigslist for $15.

In most D-Link routers, in addition to normal port forwarding, I can specify a WAN port ("Public Port") that should be converted to a LAN port ("Private Port"), so I can circumvent the Port 80 block. I just open up a port on my router and forward it to the Stoker with the additional setting to convert the public port to Port 80. Port 23 is not blocked (yet).

Let me know if this helps,

Jack

I haven't used StokerLog since before Christmas. I used it yesterday and every 14 minutes, I would get a message "Stoker is hung. Please power cycle it on and off". When I click "OK", I lose connection to the Stoker.

I have the stoker connected via ethernet cable directly to the laptop. Haven't ever had a problem before.

The Stoker doesn't actually freeze up though.

Any suggestions? I have Norton -- do I need to disable anything? When I am directly connected to the Stoker, I disable the wireless.

Thanks Jack,

I'll see if I can locate on of those. I thought at first it was my ISP, but found I could do remote management through port 80 and that shot that notion. The one I have now says it'll do port translation and it might, but not on port 80. Same deal my last linksys.

Thanks Jack,

I'll see if I can locate on of those. I thought at first it was my ISP, but found I could do remote management through port 80 and that shot that notion. The one I have now says it'll do port translation and it might, but not on port 80. Same deal my last linksys.

Good luck Ken! I see a lot of good but cheap 802.11g routers on Craigslist around here. A lot of folks around here are going to Verizon FIOS and they get a new router when they upgrade.

Here's a screenshot of my D-Link's Virtual Server management page so you can see how I set things up.

stokerconfig.gif

Enjoy,

Jack

Jack, thanks for the screen shot. Looks a bit more straight forward than my Linksys WRT54G. I may have to pickup a D-Link.

Originally posted by Steve Story:
I haven't used StokerLog since before Christmas. I used it yesterday and every 14 minutes, I would get a message "Stoker is hung. Please power cycle it on and off". When I click "OK", I lose connection to the Stoker.

I have the stoker connected via ethernet cable directly to the laptop. Haven't ever had a problem before.

Any suggestions? I have Norton -- do I need to disable anything? When I am directly connected to the Stoker, I disable the wireless.

Are you able to run it with the web interface reliably? i.e. not using stokerlog?

Originally posted by Amir:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Story:

Are you able to run it with the web interface reliably? i.e. not using stokerlog? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Amir.

Yes, running from a web interface seems to work just fine. I ran it for 45 minutes and refreshed the browser every couple of minutes but never lost connection.

I have to disable the wirelress, but I left Norton running.

Steve, when it fails to work with Stokerlog, does it still work with the browser web interface?

If so, you may be interested in version 5 of the program where I have a mode that only uses web interface ("HTTP only"). This is not a solution to the problem but gives you something better than the browser to use until we figure out what could be wrong.

Amir, I uninstalled StokerLog 4.2 and installed 5.0. Running without the checkbox for HTML, I got the same "Stoker is hung" message in the first minute of StokerLog running. Switched over to web browser interface refreshed and still connected.

Checked the HTML Only option and started StokerLog again. After 11 minutes, got message "Can't Open Stoker web interface". But when I went back over to the web browser interface and refreshed, I still had connection.

So something is blocking StokerLog from keeping the connection. I just don't know what.

The strange thing was, StokerLog did not show a blower configured -- similar to the message shown in the example screen shot you have over in the other thread about vers 5 of StokerLog. Since it doesn't recognize a configured blower, I don't get any fan graph. I got this same thing when I ran StokerLog 5.0 with the HTML Only check box marked or not. But in the web browser interface, it was showing Blower1 was set for Sensor2.

Back