Stoker Log 4.2

In that case, what should the interface be? Lined up in one window still?

How do people feel about the default window being taller than it is now to allow room for so many probes?

Amir,
Discovered a little problem with the Temp panel.

There needs to be a little more room for the decimal places.

Image Here

I know this is a little off the current line of enhancements, but one enhancement I think would be helpful would be to have your fire setpoint represented on the graph.

One more thing, The stokerlog version I am using doesn't seam to be able ot detect my food probe as I plugged in after the cook started.

Thanks Bob.

I realize it is chopping the right hand corner but turns out if you see the decimal point, it indicates the fraction. I thought that was good enough for government work.
icon_smile.gif

On food probe after the fact, hit F5/Refresh and it should rescan and show the probe.

Thanks Amir, I have been using the Stokerlog for months now and never realized I could refresh with F5 - doh.(smacks self in the head)

ON the Temp Panel why dont you just not display the decimal values, just like you do on the main window.

Amir.
Thanks again for all your work on the application. I absolutely love it.
Now for a possible suggestion.
There are those of us that do not use and will more than likely not use all the advanced features like recieving emails or text messages or even remotely controlling or watching the cook from another computer at work or while at the beach
icon_smile.gif
. Thanks again
I personally hardwire my laptop to the Stoker controller with a x over cable but may go wireless sometime so the wireless feature may be useful, but I cannot see myself ever using the the other advanced features. I have a hard enough time as it is.
I would like the ability to use multiple blowers for seperate cooks though so that is one feature I am looking forward to.
Now I was just wondering would it be possible or easier to actually have two seperate programs?
One without all the advanced more complicated features, for those of us that will never use them. And one with all the bells and whistles for the more advanced users. Kind of like a version 5 and a version 5+.
This is just a suggestion I just thought it may be easier to have a basic and loaded version.
Plus there would be less things for me to screw up.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the kind words Randy.

On using two programs, unfortunately not. The interface to stoker to get quick data (as opposed to web interface which takes up to 10 seconds and doesn't tell you blower info), only supports one program talking to it. So you can't use two copies of my program, although you can use the stoker web interface while mine is running.

On advanced features, I hope they are not getting in the way. If so, then just ignore them
icon_smile.gif
. It takes more work to test and maintain two versions of the program. If you do see complexity that gets in the way, let me know and I will hide it. Right now, all the alarms/emails and such are in advanced menus and are not active by default.

Unfortunate (for me
icon_smile.gif
), the one feature you want, is the most complex one. That is, controlling two blowers. I wrote the program without that in mind. And it surely complicates the user interface. Hence the reason I am seeking maximum feedback before getting fully committed.

Good news is that I have some of it working already. I detect both blowers and spawn a second window and graph it there together with its own blower graph. Next up, and the most complex bit, is to associate the probes with the second blower. And then a ton of clean up work around graph editing and such which only works on primary display right now.

I hope to post something for people to play with in the next 2-3 days. So stay tuned and meanwhile, have suggestions coming....

Amir, do you have a second blower to test with? If not, I can send you mine while you figure this out. Send me an email at elav@sbcglobal.net if you need it (it is the least I can do with all you have provided us).

Originally posted by A. Vale:
Amir, do you have a second blower to test with? If not, I can send you mine while you figure this out. Send me an email at elav@sbcglobal.net if you need it (it is the least I can do with all you have provided us).
Thanks much. Really appreciate it.

Rock was kind enough to send me one a while ago. So I am OK right now but may need to attach to you all's units if you have more probes and such than I do. I think I have 5 probes total in addition to two blowers and two pit probes.

The coolest thing about the update is the temperture panel. I like that with a quick glance i tell how the smoker is doing. Especially from across the room!

On my wish list for the temp panel

a blower indicator

and an always on top would be cool.

Awesome program thanks Amir.

Kenny Davis

Originally posted by Ken Brown:
Amir,

How about sending out an email alert if all communications to the stoker are lost.

Ken
Seems like a great suggestion. Will put on TODO list....

Originally posted by Kenny Davis:
The coolest thing about the update is the temperture panel. I like that with a quick glance i tell how the smoker is doing. Especially from across the room!

On my wish list for the temp panel

a blower indicator

and an always on top would be cool.

Awesome program thanks Amir.

Kenny Davis
These are posts that I love. Suggestions which take 5 minutes to implement and would be so useful
icon_smile.gif

Now, if I could get myself unstuck from the mess I am in, rewriting UI control, I can get to stuff like this....

Amir,

I just tried your current version for a disconnect alarm, it must have been disabled somehow in the updates.

BTW I have an active web page setup to handle email alarms on your system. It was not working for a while because of a "password reset and forgot about it problem" due to old age I suppose. Been working today just fine. I've added 2 fields, if you remember, that you can use in your post. "Message" and "Time" are the new field names. Spaces are not permitted in the message so if you replace all occurrences of " " with "_", my aspx will take care of it. Use this URL in the alarm section. http:/www.krownsoft.com/sendmail.aspx?Email=whoever@whereever.com Return address will be stokermail@gmail.com. Feel free to use it.

Thanks Ken. I remember that logic not being very reliable. Funny that you can't detect something going wrong when you want to
icon_smile.gif

Anyway, there is light at the end of the tunnel on the re-write. It is 1:00am but I feel good because I got most of the system working again. The app now goes up to 16 probes although I have only enough to test 5. Need to buy some Y cables to push the limit on it.

I also added the logic to add a port number of the IP address for HTTP.

Here is a thought I have. And that is, come up wiht a naming convention that automatically tells the program the probes go with pit-1 or pit-2. Thinking of a character at the end of the probe name. Say an "'" mark or something like that. Using this, the program would always detect which probe goes with which cook without you having to tell it. What say you? Would that work?

Originally posted by Amir:
I also added the logic to add a port number of the IP address for HTTP.

I suppose that would assume that the port number of the stoker itself could be changed.

Here is a thought I have. And that is, come up wiht a naming convention that automatically tells the program the probes go with pit-1 or pit-2. Thinking of a character at the end of the probe name. Say an "'" mark or something like that. Using this, the program would always detect which probe goes with which cook without you having to tell it. What say you? Would that work?
I would think that maybe starting all names for a particular pit with a common designation like [1]Pit ,[1]brisket,[1]butt ,[2]pit, [2]butt might be simpler to code and clearer for the user.

Originally posted by Ken Brown:
I suppose that would assume that the port number of the stoker itself could be changed.
I am pretty sure it cannot be changed on the stoker. But I assumed the application was some proxy router which did port remapping. Anyway, it was one line of code so if it is of no use, no harm done
icon_smile.gif

I would think that maybe starting all names for a particular pit with a common designation like [1]Pit ,[1]brisket,[1]butt ,[2]pit, [2]butt might be simpler to code and clearer for the user.
I am too lazy to parse complicated syntax for this
icon_smile.gif
. So will probably pick a rarely used character and have that be the indicator for the second pit.

Amir,
Is there an option via the telnet interface to display/change the probe calibration numbers? Can you query the firmware version? Just wondering if some things like this might be nice in a utility menu within your program?

Originally posted by Todd D.:
Amir,
Is there an option via the telnet interface to display/change the probe calibration numbers? Can you query the firmware version? Just wondering if some things like this might be nice in a utility menu within your program?
I use telnet just for reading so there is nothing there. And I see no indication in web interface either. I will try to contact the developer to find out any secret codes
icon_smile.gif

But I can also apply calibration in my program. It would not then be in sync with what the stoker itself shows. But when I use my program, I totally ignore what the box says anyway. Would that work?

If so, next question is what calibration really means. I suspect the device just applies a fixed percentage correction to all temps based one one reference point but I am not sure that would be totally correct.

Question on Alarms.

What do you all think about keeping alarms local to Stokerlog? Right now, if you set an alarm, the "Update Stoker" button lights up and if you hit that, it will committ the changes to stoker. In doing so, both my program and stoker are armed the same way.

The issue I have is that the stoker can wake up others and at any rate, its alarms are much more crude and harder to turn off than Stokerlog. So I never committ them to the box but then I might make other changes that might cause them to get sent to stoker.

Do people have a good use for alarms in the stoker itself when my program is running?

I was just curious if there was a way to program that information from a web/application other than the menus on the Stoker itself. I have mine programmed correctly, so really isn't a big deal. I just know that sometimes this is confusing for new owners and thought it would be great to put it in the app if there was an easy way to do it.

Back