Stoker Fan issue

Adam W

TVWBB Member
Anyone had this issue, when I plug the fan in the stoker will not detect any of the probes or the fan. When you do the scan it simply says probes:none.

I am using my stoker black box for the second time and am frustrated. Havent called Rocks yet, will later today.

Have you tried the 'Clear DB' option to restore the stoker to it's factory settings? Also, are you accessing the web interface and not first going through other software like Stokerlog? I love the Stokerlog software and use it but I had an issue at first as well but I can't remember exactly what it took for my pit probe to show up.

I know that I ended up accessing the stoker directly from the web interface and it saw the blower and pit probe, then I went on to using the Stoker log software but this may not be related.

thanks Ryan, I did do the clear DB option, removed the stoker from all web interfaces and just used the front panel. Tried combinations of pit, meat and the fan probe to see if any worked. As soon as the fan probe is plugged in, the probe scan comes up none and so does the blower scan. Same on the base interface.

Crazy part is it was working fine, had the blower and just the pit probe going, got to stable temp so I added the meat and meat probes, shut down the stoker, plug the probes in and restarted and nothing worked....

emailed customer support at Rocks 10 minutes ago, hopefully get fast turn around. Should be telling to this forum as there have been some complaints in the past.

Wow, got a response right away, points for Rocks support...

Hi Adam,

Its unfortunate to hear that you are having trouble with your system. It is likely that only one of the devices being used on the Stoker is faulty. Please troubleshoot your devices using the following procedure.

With the Stoker unit turned off plug one device into a Stoker port.
Power up the unit. The LED in the plug should turn on and then back off before the main menu comes up.
If the LED turns off it has passed self test and is in working order.
Make sure the Stoker is recognizing the device.
Individually test each device the same way.
Should the led stay on or flicker it is an indication of a bad device.
Let us know which devices aren't working properly and we will repair or replace them for you.

Adam, I had something similar happen to me the other day. I've had my Stoker for over 4 years with no problem (except for melting the fan in the blower on my 2nd use -- they replaced the fan).

But the other day I had finished a pork butt cook and I was getting ready to load in some chicken. I had turned the Stoker off while I had the smoker door opened. When I went to turn it back on, none of the probes or fan would work. I unplugged all probes and the fan and then tried each plug with just 1 probe. But I could not get the Stoker to recognize any port.

I powered off the Stoker and let it sit for about 10 minutes. When I turned it back on, it then started working fine again. I've done a couple of cooks since then and have not had another issue.

Thought I would post this since other may learn from it. Stoker broke again, here is my email to Rocks again.... will keep you all up to date on how they respond.

Please address issue asap, I got my stoker back yesterday after a month of waiting, fired up a smoke last night, worked great, shut it down to add fuel and meat this morning, added a brand new probe I got yesterday and powered up and the **** things doesn’t work again!!! I just got it back for the exact same problem!!!!

When the fan is plugged in it doesn’t boot properly, it skips the “ please wait” step and goes to the main menu. None of the probes or blowers are detected and the fan and all the probe LEDs stay on, not to mention the fan stays on.

The stoker works ok without the fan plugged in.

Since having the problem I have cycled the power, removed the power cord and let it sit for a couple minutes then reboot, cleared the db, logged into the stoker and changed all the target temp settings, tried all combinations of the probes separately, updated to the 2.7 beta software.

Nothing works.

I am very disappointed and am afraid I should not have recommended a stoker to my team mate who ordered a full setup this week.

I request that you send me another stoker asap. I was unable to use it all last month while you “fixed” it. I will return the one I have promptly. If this issue isn’t addressed quickly I’d like my money back. This is only my second smoke with the stoker and it doesn’t work.

I do plan on documenting these issues and your response on tvwbb and thesmokering so that others can hopefully learn from this.

I will be calling your office on Monday to try and resolve this and would be glad to do debug or gather data to fix the issue as I am an EE.

Well I am again impressed with Rocks bbq, here was the response on Monday:

Hi Adam,

I apologize that you are having continued issues with your Stoker system. I will replace your entire system with new product which will ship out tomorrow. Included will be return shipping for the product you currently have.

I assure you this is not common, but intermittent issues do rarely occur. We would like to provide you with a product that you are satisfied with and in the case that you are not we will gladly accept the product back and return your money.

Post what you feel is necessary to share but please keep in mind we do not post on the bulletin boards. We hold true to to our one year manufacturer warranty.

I will send a tracking number to you tomorrow.

Adam, glad to see they made good on your unit. Mine....not so much. I'm having a very similar issue, and it's back in the shops for the second time in 6 months. I've tried to use it in the last 4 comps, controlling 3 smokers, but it always fails one way or another. Harry Soo has been great about helping and diagnosing as he is a big Stoker guy. They've had the unit for several weeks now, not returning my emails to even verify that it arrived. I called on Monday but they hadn't even started on it, and wasn't even sure it was there. It's pretty frustrating. It came highly recommended too.

That being said, when it works, it's spot on. It holds a temp like a champ in my UDS and 2 WSM's. I actually started with 2 Aubers, and thought i'd upgrade to the Stoker. The Aubers won't hold as steady , plus or minus 5 degrees, but they hold nonetheless.

I hope i'm as lucky as you! Best of luck to you.

BTW, i've monitored this site for the last few years, taken away some awesome tips. thx!

Dan,
I hope that they resolve your problems quickly, I found it best to give them a call. I will say my team partner bought one that came before the weekend ( black box version, like mine) and we ran it for a 20 hour smoke with no issues.

Good luck!

Spotty customer service always concerns me as it does many others. When it comes to automatic temperature controllers, the competition is too fierce for a company to fail in customer service. I know no product is perfect, but it's nice to know that customer service will take care of those issues. If they are not, then it might be better to move on to the next choice.

Back