Sous Vide Tri Tip

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
IMGP2848.JPG

One half of a nearly 3 lb. Select grade tri tip, trimmed of fat, vac sealed, in the sous vide bath for 6 hours at 135F.

IMGP2848-001.JPG

Removed, placed into an ice bath, then stuck in fridge until dinner time.
IMGP2852.JPG

Unbagged, rubbed with Oakridge Santa Maria, indirect while the lump gets well fired up, with hickory for smoke.
IMGP2855.JPG

IMGP2856.JPG

Once the coals were hot and the internal had hit 90 it was time for the sear.
IMGP2858.JPG

IMGP2859.JPG

Rested and sliced.
Note the fiber breakdown, sort of brisket-like.
IMGP2861.JPG

IMGP2862.JPG

No plated shots, my thoughts at the end of this post.

Last night's tri tip, artichoke, tomato, Provel cheese on flatbread pizza.
IMGP2867.JPG

I knew going in that 135F would yield a more medium result, but when it's etched into your brain to keep food below 40 or above 140 it's hard to stick a piece of meat into a water bath for hours at say 125 or 130.
There was a fair amount of meat juice in the bag that I saved to possibly make au jus, but didn't.

Tenderness was excellent, maybe a touch too tender, but not at all mushy.
Taste was excellent, nicely smoked and we couldn't tell that it hadn't been cooked entirely on a grill.
It was a little drier than normal, but I'm sure that when I do the next one at 125-130 for maybe 4 hours this will be remedied.
Plus I will slice it in filet mignon sized pieces, no need to slice it this thinly.

Thanks to member J Kloeker for the heads up for the $100 sous vide deal!
Next up will be chicken breasts.
Thanks for the visit!

PS to Wolgast, and possibly others, if I chided you about your hot water cooking method, then I apologize.
It will not replace the majority of my grill cooks, but it is a nice alternative, and I think it will really shine on tougher cuts of meat.

Last edited:
Thanks to member J Kloeker for the heads up for the $100 sous vide deal!
Next up will be chicken breasts.
Thanks for the visit!

Bob, food looks amazing!!! How's this for irony? After finding the deal, I got so excited to tell everyone that I forgot to order my own!! Live and learn I guess.

PS: $100 SV Deal? I totally missed that! :mad:

Jim, it was a promotional deal on Amazon. One that I managed to discover, but not take advantage of. lol

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?59730-100-Sous-Vide

Interesting approach Bob. Kind of a compound reverse sear. Meat looks perfectly cooked, juicy and tender from here. THaks for sharing this new technique...

Regards,

John

That's a fine cook and what a nice tri tip too. That pizza deserves a attaboy too. Nice cooks

Bob, I haven't touched my $100. dollar special as of yet, been too busy with putting out fires in my daily life.
But after seeing what a nice job you did on that Tri tip, I may have to go freezer diving today, as I know I have one, in one of the two freezers. Again, beautiful TT!

Looks Great Bob!
and like others that "cook" using this method, I think it's pretty cool you're trying alternatives.
however, I will continue to grill and smoke with fire, coal and wood. :)

Saw this a few days back on my phone and forgott to respond. Anyways...I turn my back at you for a moment and you go out and do this!!! Never thought that about you Bob! But i guess a congrats to the new toy is in order. And i bet you will find alot of cool things to do with this method. Looking forward to se more. Ohh and Killer looking grub Sir!

I snoozed i loozed, haha always looking for new toys. The Bloody Mary looks awesome also.

Please post Sous Vide deals when you see them.

Back