Sorry

I have to say that this is an interesting forum. It's supposedly for those with Weber pellet smokers yet we have people post in here that don't have one or intend to ever buy one and mock those that have them. Like a Toyota fan popping into a Honda forum saying they will never buy a Honda. I don't get it.
That is the beauty of this place.
It was a fun controversial take to get some posts going, it worked.

The Searwood seems to work well. It’s not as robust as a SmokeFire and it will be up to us to decide what to do.

I will say with my SmokeFire out of warranty I hope it holds up.

If Jay was watching that Sambo guy he was getting some really extreme takes on what can go wrong. I watched 10 minutes of him and he made baby back maniacs SmokeFire steak disaster look weak.

Last edited:
Please direct us to a post that "mocks" anyone for their purchase of any grill.
Hadn't been you, but there have been a couple folks who seem to want to come to this forum to do nothing but poke fun at us who use them and love them. And it does make me wonder why those people even visit these threads. If you don't want or like the idea of pellet cooking, then don't visit. If you don't have one and want to LEARN about them and why they're loved..........then come, observe, ask questions (as I did a couple or so years ago) and if you are truly interested watch for a smokin hot deal on one (as I found with my Member's Mark).
Now I love coming on to share and learn even more. Just because someone did something on a SmokeFire or Searwood or what have you does not mean much of that cannot be adapted to whatever version of pellet cooker you have.
But if all someone wants to do is call those who use them "cheaters", "lazy", or just use other terminology. Then don't. Just let the rest of us have some fun and conversation

As far as pellet grills, is that considered grilling & BBQing at all? Skill level to operate one- zero. They are just convection ovens.
My suggestion, buy a quality off set wood burner. Buy some stick wood, man up & learn to do it the right way. At the very least get out your Mountain Weber Smoker, throw in some Devil & once again learn to do it right. LOL
Cheers & Have a great day,
Russ

As far as pellet grills, is that considered grilling & BBQing at all? Skill level to operate one- zero. They are just convection ovens.
My suggestion, buy a quality off set wood burner. Buy some stick wood, man up & learn to do it the right way. At the very least get out your Mountain Weber Smoker, throw in some Devil & once again learn to do it right. LOL
Russ
I think your about to find out how many pellet grill owners disagree with you.

I think the pellet market is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Keep it simple with wood or charcoal. Less headaches for sure. Just my opinion.

Russ
Sigh. Why post this? Maybe I do have a charcoal smoker and a gas grill and a griddle. Maybe I don't have time to tend to a fire all day every time I want to BBQ.

They are just convection ovens.

Russ
Did you ever try to smoke something in your home convection oven if you have one? Didn't think so.
Some of us who have mobility disabilities and are getting up in the years aren't interested in being Nanook of the North woods with stick burners or other grills and smokers that need more attention.
Gas, charcoal, smokers, pellet grills, stick burners all have their place in the outdoor cooking world. But sometimes you have to give some ground to be able to do what you like. I did my man up years ago, don't need to prove anything to anybody now.

Last edited:
And see just like that...................the haters appear. Sorry, if you don't understand them or like them it's free choice. Personally I respect ANYONE's choice as long as they enjoy what they use and please their friends and families (and themselves) with their product and choice of tools. But these kind of comments are like looking in a mechanic's tool box and criticizing him as a lazy or bad mechanic because you disagree with their choice of tools, rather than did their skills fix your issue.
And sneering down your nose at someone's choice of tool is simply not a good thing. Bottom line, if I put a meal in front of you and you enjoy it, my tool of choice should not be criticized. IOW no complaining with a full mouth :D

Rich Dahl & LMichaels, you made my Sunday. I had nothing to do so I thought that I would pull a little chain & see who took the bait. As far as haters you 2 best look in the mirror. My dad had a pellet grill for years, probably one of the first ones that came out. A Traeger made in the United States, not China. It finally quit years later & he updated to a new wi-fi Traeger a few years before he passed. We had dozens of meals on his Traegers. They do alright & did kept my dad active & going. I understand that they are good for people who have medical & disability issues. They certainly have their place for certain people. But it seems like according to you guys that there is nothing but problems with them. This goes out, that goes out, why doesn't this work or that work. I guess if I was going to buy one I wouldn't mess around with these average pellet smokers. I guess something like a Yoder. Anyway you all have a good day, I was having a little fun & just had to bait a few big fishes in & hook them on the line.
Cheers,
Russ

You know, I voiced my opinion on the pellet smoker, electronic “Upgrades” and technical attachments many times and have met with applause from both sides of the aisle. But, the fact of the matter is that EVERYONE has an opinion about every type of cooking, from stovetop to Hawaiian pit style in ground cooking, if Jay wants to voice that opinion, who is to say he is wrong? Opinions are like noses, every one has one a d some like to stick them in other peoples business.
Have a good day.
I’m firing some charcoal and co9ming some steaks!

I sort of see both sides of the coin here.... I wouldn't hate on someone else's grill or smoker, and clearly a pellet grill CAN make some good Q. So I'm glad that some folks like their Weber Pellet grills. But at the same time I was surprised when Weber entered the pellet grill market. Seems like they could have invested that $ somewhere else and made more $$$ and taken care of their core business/core customers. I have to think they're losing $ on pellet grills given the amount of warranty claims, and in my opinion, they are diluting/damaging the brand overall.

IF I ever decide to buy a pellet grill, it will not be a Weber. I would go with Treager, Rec Tec or Yoder Treager & Rec Tec have been at it a lot longer and Yoder seems to be the sherman tank of pellet grills...

Rich Dahl & LMichaels, you made my Sunday. I had nothing to do so I thought that I would pull a little chain & see who took the bait. As far as haters you 2 best look in the mirror. My dad had a pellet grill for years, probably one of the first ones that came out. A Traeger made in the United States, not China. It finally quit years later & he updated to a new wi-fi Traeger a few years before he passed. We had dozens of meals on his Traegers. They do alright & did kept my dad active & going. I understand that they are good for people who have medical & disability issues. They certainly have their place for certain people. But it seems like according to you guys that there is nothing but problems with them. This goes out, that goes out, why doesn't this work or that work. I guess if I was going to buy one I wouldn't mess around with these average pellet smokers. I guess something like a Yoder. Anyway you all have a good day, I was having a little fun & just had to bait a few big fishes in & hook them on the line.
Cheers,
Russ

But it seems like according to you guys that there is nothing but problems with them. This goes out, that goes out, why doesn't this work or that work. I guess if I was going to buy one I wouldn't mess around with these average pellet smokers.

Looked in the mirror and didn't see any haters there.
Certainly, like to know where you saw I said anything like that. With my average Camp Chef $350 pellet grill I've had over 300 successful cooks without one failure. My daughters 15 year old Traeger is still going strong.
Don't know where you get your facts, but you need to find another source, maybe something that's accurate.

When I first saw this thread and read the opening I thought someone got out of bed on the wrong side or maybe had a hangover then I looked at the time it was posted. Maybe to many afternoon cocktails on a Friday to get the weekend started. :unsure:

Actually I could care less about pellet grills as I said. Went fishing caught a couple suckers. Having fish on my PK tonight. It's gonna be guud.
Cheers,
Russ

Back