some 'between jobs' smoking!! - pork butt

Gabe

TVWBB Member
So I quit my job where I've spent the last 12 years of my life. My new job doesn't start till mar 2nd. So, naturally, I'm taking some time to smoke some pork butt.

I feel like i finally have time to take some pics and share. These are about 6lbs each. Injected with a mix recipe taken from Harry Soo's website.
Rubbed with the competition rub we made in HS's pitmaster class.

Waiting for the 18" WSM to some to temp:

... and loaded:

ok so I'm still working out this pic thing...

So I quit my job where I've spent the last 12 years of my life. My new job doesn't start till mar 2nd
Congrats on the new job! The butts look good (so far) :)

I envy your hinged grate. Did you buy that or did it come with your WSM?

Looking good, Gabe. Was wondering where the smoke, as seen on the horizon, was coming from :)

Best Wishes on the new job.

Bob

I think that while I was busy doing the "craigslist shuffle", I came upon a 18 kettle that had this hinged grate. I think I swapped them and passed the kettle along.
That hinge is handy when you want to check a temp downstairs.

- 5 hours later -

ok if you're following along, we're doing:
http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2012/04/slap-yo-daddy-bone-in-pork-butt-2/

and we're at the step where we have good bark and are gonna wrap the butts in foil with a mix of butter, brown sugar, beer, hot sauce, and sweet thai chili sauce. I've made butt this way once and I really like the flavors that come across.

nice bark on them:

just before sealing up in foil:

now we'll wait until a skewer goes through it like it goes through a cornbread muffin.

ready to come out:

pulled by hand:

too lazy too make this from scratch, so I got a cole slaw "kit":

plated on King Hawaiian Hot Dog style buns

If these look like just piles of slaw on bread, let me assure you: they were heavy with pork!

We did: load of meat, drizzle of sauce, top with slaw, and then sweet tea to wash it down

2 lbs went into the freezer for later in the week.
5 lbs are in the fridge and will be a great lunch for tomorrow.

Now I need to decide between chicken n' ribs, or a brisket for my next cook.

Gabe - great cook - that looks awesome (the PP is near perfect as far as I can tell). Great idea to add more flavors at the foiling step. I did not know you could get King's Hawaiian hotdog rolls but now that I do...

Regards,

john

Back