Solo Wednesday: my favorite pizza

DBWallis

TVWBB Super Fan
My lovely wife was out to dinner with an out-of-town friend on Wednesday, so I was on my own for dinner. I chose my favorite pizza: spicy Italian sausage with garlic marinated roasted green peppers and my own pizza sauce.

The sauce is dark and rich, with tomato sauce, tomato paste, onion, garlic, fresh ground fennel, oregano, basil, crushed red pepper, S&P, a touch of brown sugar, and a splash of really good balsamic vinegar.

The green peppers are fire-roasted, skin remove, seeded and cut into strips, and then marinated in extra-virgin olive oil and a heap of garlic. By a heap, I mean about 1 head per pepper. The longer these beauties sit, the better they get! 24 hours is a minimum, a week is better!

Here is the pizza during assembly, with homemade crust, sauce, sausage and peppers. Note the generous sprinkling of garlic ;)

CB853100-1610-422C-BC74-74C767C4EECC.jpg

Topped with about 2/3 pound of fresh-grated mozzerella:

07ED7D08-533D-40FB-B0FA-FBDFADAEC592.jpg

and the final product, after a 10 minute bask in a 550 degree oven on a pizza stone:

3DE34E55-0AF5-4E41-AB0A-A35D168364E1.jpg

Pictures cannot convey how amazing the green peppers are, or how well all these flavors combine on a chewy piece of bread!

That looks excellent, nothing like homemade everything to get the flavor profile you want. But the oven!?!?!? Oh well I've been guilty of that myself a time or two.:rolleyes:

That looks excellent, nothing like homemade everything to get the flavor profile you want. But the oven!?!?!? Oh well I've been guilty of that myself a time or two.:rolleyes:

Hey, I've lobbied for a wood-fired pizza oven in the back yard, but so far I haven't had any luck getting any traction on that one :D

Back