Smoking on the Performer

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
Hi all. I have an 18.5 WSM but also want to be able to smoke on my Performer, ribs in particular just to increase my cooking capacity. Those of you that use your kettle/Performer to smoke on what is the best method? Do you use the snake or a form of the minion method? I also read on the forum about covering part of the charcoal grate with foil. What are your thoughts and opinions?

I use the snake method and it works very well in the kettle - I can get it to hold 225 pretty well. I usually line slightly under 1/2 of the kettle with briquettes in a 2 x 2 line and start the snake with 8 lit coals. I use a drip pan under the ribs with warm water, but have never foiled part of the charcoal grate. Top wide open and bottom vent adjusted to hit temp.

I bank the coals on one side using the weber holder. But I back this up with fire bricks. I'm the one that came up with the foiling of the coal grate after some observations. That would not work if using the snake method. Top vent open over the ribs and it should be down wind. Temp controlled by lower vent(s). Depending on how many racks you are cooking, you can slightly stack them and then rotate them every so often. After a few cooks you will find that its just not that difficult.

Thank you George. I read in the forum about your foil idea and it makes a lot of sense to me and I'm thinking that's the route I'm going to go. I'm just going to bank the coals to one side but don't have fire bricks.

Snake forever!
About foiling charcoal grate it could be usufull, but in my opinion with a welldone and NOT oversised snake you don't need it.

I use the snake method as described above. Top vent wide open and adjust bottom for heat control. Although the 18.5 WSM is more stable especially in the wind it's doable on the performer.
Now for the most part I do my Baby backs on high heat on the performer and get them done in about two hours or less, been very happy with the results of doing them that way.

Here's a post that Jim Lampe did that explains the high heat method.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?61262-Grilled-Baby-Back-Ribs

Last edited:
I actually prefer to do ribs on my kettle so I can lay them flat. I am using a 26 though. I do like George foil the charcoal grate, use fire bricks to hold the coals in place. I ussally bury a couple chunks of smoke wood on the sides. I do a chimney of until build
A small valcano hole in the center and place about 12 lit coals in the center. I like cooking ribs at 275 and have never had trouble holding those temps. Typically the bottom vent is completely closed or just slightly open with the top wide open.

For holding the coals you can get the coal holder from weber. I actually cut expanded metal to fit between the coal grate and the cooking grate. I also put a foil piece either on that exp metal piece of hang a piece from the cooking grate. This prevents the heat from going directly to the meat. Keeps everything indirect. I think jim lampe made a cool metal contraption but not sure if he uses it anymore.

262qpz5.jpg

22.5 "
Weber baskets (7-8 briqs lit in ea basket and placed on opposite ends)
Foil covering center section forces air flow to baskets
9x12 alu drip pan

Back