Smoked Cheese

E Mann

TVWBB Fan
Hi folks-
I've done quite a bit of smoked cheese and wanted to show you my setup.

First, I balance the charcoal grate between the top of the bottom part of the smoker & my chimney
image.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Then I use my plumbers propane tank to start the fire. Only 3 pieces of charcoal.
image-3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Then add the wood & keep the torch on it
image-2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Once everything is lit, put the cheese on & smoke for 1-hr
W
image-4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Vacuum seal for a few weeks and then enjoy! Today was Muenster, Cheddar, Hot Pepper & a huge piece of Gouda!!

image-2.jpg

now that's the way to do it. def gonna try your method to smoking cheese... thanks for the idea.

don't lift the lid...

That looks really good....I just purchased a food saver and I need to try this. Do you store it in the fridge or freezer after smoking?

Probably really stupid questions, but I have to ask... How are your vents set, top and bottom? With that small amount of fuel, do you have to worry much about melting he cheese? Or do you monitor it and keep it below a certain temp? Water pan, no water pan? If water pan, empty or full? This looks awesome, and if it really is that simple, I want to make sure I don't screw it up. What kind of wood? Hickory? Mesquite? Coals like some Stubbs probably be OK? Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance for any information. This is something I've wanted to try for a while.

On a semi-related note, I saw something somewhere showing you how to use a clean empty paint can and some dryer vent tube to make a "cold" smoking device. Looked pretty cool and pretty simple, but if this works, I won't even try the pain can thing.

Last edited:
Probably really stupid questions, but I have to ask... How are your vents set, top and bottom? With that small amount of fuel, do you have to worry much about melting he cheese? Or do you monitor it and keep it below a certain temp? Water pan, no water pan? If water pan, empty or full? This looks awesome, and if it really is that simple, I want to make sure I don't screw it up. What kind of wood? Hickory? Mesquite? Coals like some Stubbs probably be OK? Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance for any information. This is something I've wanted to try for a while.

On a semi-related note, I saw something somewhere showing you how to use a clean empty paint can and some dryer vent tube to make a "cold" smoking device. Looked pretty cool and pretty simple, but if this works, I won't even try the pain can thing.
That is a great set up. But I need some more info. Thanks in advance.

Hi Jeff, I'll try to answer all of your questions here.
Vents: I leave the top & bottom 100% open
Melting: the key is to keep the smoker lower than 90 degrees. I only smoke cheese when it's nice & cool outside and with 3 pieces of charcoal & 1 piece of wood, my temps rarely even get above 50. Because there's such little fuel, you won't see a lot of smoke coming out of the top vent but it's there!
Water Pan: it's in there & it's empty, just foiled
Wood: I use pecan for everything but you can probably use just about anything. I'd stay away from anything too harsh though.
Coals: I used Kingsford but I'm sure Stubbs will work just fine.

I would only smoke for 1-hr for your first round. That is plenty of smoke time for me and too much time will make it taste like charcoal! Smoking cheese is really easy and you should do it at least once!!

Eric, thanks a million for the details. This sounds super easy. Makes me think of the black and yellow books "smoking cheese for dummies"... Glad a few other people were curious too. That's the real beauty of this site, everyone sharing their knowledge and experience with everyone. Guess I'll completely scratch that paint can cold smoke DIY project now. Can't wait to go buy some hunks of cheese.

Never done it myself....Been wanting to do this since forever. Now is the time i guess. And great info brother. AWESOME

Back