Share your Turkey Plan

Jamie Purviance's apple brined turkey with big time gravy

Someone posted this last year and I tried it.... the very best turkey I've ever made! There is brining and makes for some excellent gravy. Of course cooking it on the Weber is just fantastic. We're having two couples over for dinner this Sunday and I'm making this for dinner.

Someone posted this last year and I tried it.... the very best turkey I've ever made! There is brining and makes for some excellent gravy. Of course cooking it on the Weber is just fantastic. We're having two couples over for dinner this Sunday and I'm making this for dinner.

I have a question for my forum friends. Barb and I will also be doing this recipe and will be doing a Butter Ball turkey. The BB turkey is enhanced with a sodium mixture with an 9% sodium listing on the nutrition label. The brine calls for 1 Cup of KS I'm thinking this will make the bird too salty with the sodium already in the bird. Should I cut it way back or eliminate the salt and just use the AJ and the other spices and water.
Your thoughts or experiences.

EDIT

I did read "buyer beware' that Chris started and went to the butter ball web site and that suggests a brine to use. With the statement that it's an 8% solution of water, salt and whatever the second item is salt but I can't find what percentage of salt it is. With water being first I know it's not 8% sodium. Boy I'm I confused!

Last edited:
I have a question for my forum friends. Barb and I will also be doing this recipe and will be doing a Butter Ball turkey. The BB turkey is enhanced with a sodium mixture with an 9% sodium listing on the nutrition label. The brine calls for 1 Cup of KS I'm thinking this will make the bird too salty with the sodium already in the bird. Should I cut it way back or eliminate the salt and just use the AJ and the other spices and water.
Your thoughts or experiences.

EDIT

I did read "buyer beware' that Chris started and went to the butter ball web site and that suggests a brine to use. With the statement that it's an 8% solution of water, salt and whatever the second item is salt but I can't find what percentage of salt it is. With water being first I know it's not 8% sodium. Boy I'm I confused!
I brine juiced birds all the time. I simply cut the salt in 1/2 and away I go. No big deal.

I do the JD/Maple brine for 36(ish) hours.
Airdry in fridge overnight.
Season with spices all over (under skin and inside cavity).
Rub with EVOO.
Let is sit on counter for 30min with a bag of ice on the breast (this REALLY works!!).
Throw on 18.5" WSM once temp is dialed in at 325ish (on a grate inside a pan to catch the drip'ns).
Usually takes around 3 hours or so to get the thighs to 175 and breast to 165.
Pull and let sit for 20min then slice.

This is the recipe LarryR was so generous to share awhile back and has produced the best birds my family has ever had! You will not go wrong with this recipe and your guests will think it's the best turkey they ever had (and it WILL BE!!).

Happy Smoke'n!

I'm going to do a dry brine. Let it set in the fridge uncovered overnight. Put a wet herb rub under and on the skin. Inject it with butter. Smoke in the 22.5"wsm with a little bit of hickory (around 325° hopefully).

Last edited:
  • Brine turkey in my Jack Daniels and Maple Syrup brine for at least 36 hours
  • Air dry bird in fridge overnight
  • Wake-up Thanksgiving morning and make a pitcher of bloody marys
  • Start my stock by oven roasting turkey parts and veggies, then simmer most of day
  • Place ziplock bag of ice on breast and set on counter for 30 minutes letting dark meat warm while white stays cool - promotes even cooking of white and dark
  • Season cavity of bird with salt, pepper and stuff with celery, carrots, apple, onion and a pierced lemon at cavity opening.
  • Place bird on roasting rack in roasting pan with 1/2 water and 1/2 white wine in bottom of pan. Brush with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder
  • Open a few beers
  • Let my cooker heat soak (I'll be using my ceramic) at 325 for 1 hour
  • Throw two chunks of apple wood on charcoal and put bird on at 325.
  • 1 hour in I cover my bird with foil so skin doesn't get too dark. I don't mind it but it can freak out guests. I don't tent I cover
  • Remove bird when leg/thigh reaches 175 (I think, I'll have to check my notes before the big day)
  • Remove my bird from the roasting pan, foil and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
  • Open a few bottles of wine
  • Drain fat from drippings in the pan and I make Mad Max's gravy - KILLER
  • Carve bird and serve!
  • I think that's pretty much it

Entire menu not including snacks the wife puts out:
Ham
Jack Daniels Yams (notice a theme?)
My grandfather's sausage dressing
Green bean mushroom casserole (Paula Deen hit this one out of the park)
Garlic mashed potatoes with the home made gravy I reference above

There you go

Is the brine recipe posted somewhere? I'd like to try it this year...sounds delicious...

Is the brine recipe posted somewhere? I'd like to try it this year...sounds delicious...
Brine recipe is HERE

Pictures of a cook are HERE The T-bowing puts this at about 2011 I think LOL.

Gravy recipe is HERE

I've done several different brines and I always come back to this one. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
I had the same question Rich had. Thanks for answering that Larry. I couldn't find a none enhanced turkey at the 3 stores I checked and gave up. Almost bought the organic bird from Costco before I saw that it too was enhanced and the price was 120% more. So I went with the butterball they had. I will still wet brine and cut back on the salt.

I invite by brother over, he brings his deep fry setup and I feed his ego about how awesome it is and how he does it so well. Works great. I'm also thinking about brine and cooking one in my TBE oil-less fryer. I want to do one in the weber kettle but haven't had time to try it before hand and don't want to do the first cook on T-day.

thanks good sir! I plan on trying it this year. In your post you indicated that the maple/bourbon was subtle in flavor...any tips on how to make it more pronounced? Add more to the brine? Baste with a mix of maple/bourbon occasionally? I really want those flavors to pop....

Brine recipe is HERE

Pictures of a cook are HERE The T-bowing puts this at about 2011 I think LOL.

Gravy recipe is HERE

I've done several different brines and I always come back to this one. Let me know if you have any questions.

thanks good sir! I plan on trying it this year. In your post you indicated that the maple/bourbon was subtle in flavor...any tips on how to make it more pronounced? Add more to the brine? Baste with a mix of maple/bourbon occasionally? I really want those flavors to pop....

You know I'm not really sure. I kick-up the Jack from time to time and the flavor seems to be more pronounced, however it could just be in my head too. Probably a better question for a Kevin Kruger type, Kevin you around?

You know I'm not really sure. I kick-up the Jack from time to time and the flavor seems to be more pronounced, however it could just be in my head too. Probably a better question for a Kevin Kruger type, Kevin you around?

I would suspect that a maple/bourbon basting glaze would probably be fantastic. I may try that in addition to the brine. Will await other tips but I definitely appreciate your help here. It's gonna be awesome for sure!!

Got my practice bird done. Didn't get much photos, pretty busy. Good cook using Chris' Brine and my own rub found in this thread

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?55957-Savory-Turkey-Brine-with-Soy-Sauce

Highly recommend the brine, it was very good. Turkey took nearly 3 hours, must have hit a stall from the brine? Figures, I look at the internal, and it 150, come back 15 minutes later, its 175, about 10 degrees more than I wanted. Dang good turkey

IMG_1309_zpsb024f5e5.jpg

IMG_1308_zps9bad4c52.jpg

Back