Seriously Thinking About a Q3200

Jeff F

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been a dedicated charcoal user for about 20 years. I am about to give myself permission to get a small gasser to use for quick weeknight cooks. The Q caught my eye on a recent trip to a grill store. I like the shape of the dome and the overall size. I also really like the idea of the griddle, as my wife hates it when I fry burgers in the house on the stove.

So come on dedicated Q fanatics...convince me.

I love my Baby Q small BBQ with big BBQ attitude

I hate my Big Q I'd love to get a Genesis The Big-Q is messy (the smoke dumps onto the side tables) the height is lacking, the burners are fully across with an inside and outside ring

So if the Q3200 is the small BBQ, I reconmend it. If it's the big Q, run away

I have a Q100 and to your point it's like a cross between a griddle and a grill (with the griddle plate). It heats up fast and does a good job with burgers, BSCBs, things like that. Plus I had it hooked up to a 20# tank and I could cook on it all year without filling the tank. I used to hate firing up my big gasser for a 5 minuet burger cook. For what you say you want to use it for it would work fine.

Rich
I meant this
"I hate my Big Q I'd love to get a Genesis The Big-Q is messy (the smoke dumps onto the side tables) the height is lacking, the burners are fully across with an inside and outside ring

So if the Q3200 is the small BBQ, I reconmend it. If it's the big Q, run away "
Barely anything there makes any sense.

Depends on how many people you have to feed. I recently got a Q 2200 which has a good size grill area (280 sq. inches). The Q 1000 series is quite a bit smaller. I love mine and even though it only has one burner I love the built in thermometer in the lid and the fact that the grate channels the grease and drippings away from the burner to drastically cut down on flare ups. I also just ordered a roasting rack to cook larger pieces of meat and keep them up off the grates producing an indirect heating method since there is only one burner. Bottom line, I love it and it serves me at home and while camping.

Depends on how many people you have to feed. I recently got a Q 2200 which has a good size grill area (280 sq. inches). The Q 1000 series is quite a bit smaller. I love mine and even though it only has one burner I love the built in thermometer in the lid and the fact that the grate channels the grease and drippings away from the burner to drastically cut down on flare ups. I also just ordered a roasting rack to cook larger pieces of meat and keep them up off the grates producing an indirect heating method since there is only one burner. Bottom line, I love it and it serves me at home and while camping.

I had a Q-220 and gave it to the daughter and purchased the Q-3200 and love it. I also purchased the Grill plate for the right side of the Grill and it does great. I have no problem with smoke maybe the gentleman needs to burn off the grill. My Q-3200 will pin the needle on the temp gauge in a matter of minuets.

Thanks everyone for your comments...particularly JC Barnett. Nice to hear you're happy stepping up from the 220 to the 3200. I was first looking at the 2200, but by the time you get the 20 lb. tank conversion kit and a stand, you're so close to the price of the 3200 that I can't see going for the smaller one...even more so after reading the threads about the gymnastics you have to go through to start the grills with the conversion kits on them.

JC, care to share some of the things you've done on the grill plate?

I duno Jeff, if price is the factor, I think you're beter off with the Spirit E220 over the Q3200 (same price) If it were me...I'd hold out for a Genesis (that's my next grill after I buy a Santa Maria)

What I hate most about the Q-series is that the exhaust dumps out the sides getting everything dirty. I also hate not being able to do an indirect cook (I'll be the first to admit I don't know if the Spirit allows for indirect cook) And lastly, the height limits inherit with the Q-series.

Granted, I love my small Q-series, mostly because it's a great portable, however it has big BBQ attitude (good consistent heat, very dependable)

I really think you're going to be disapointed with the Q3200. You're going to end up like me, kicking yourself everytime you go into a Home Depot and have to see those beautiful E/S330 (or even the E/S310) sitting outside saying "buy me, buy me"

Chuck,

I hear you. I have looked at the Spirit. It's the portability and small footprint of the Q3200 that keeps me coming back to it. The small headroom is part of what I like, rather than the limitation that you're seeing. I see that low dome keeping the heat where I want it. If I have something tall, it is most likely going to go into my Large Egg or my Bar-B-Kettle, anyway.

I have a q100 and I love it, my wife got it for me to use when we camp, I use it at home all the time.
It heats up quick, I have it on a 20 # bottle for what seems like forever. I don't know about the bigger q's but I like the 100,
my 2 cents

I have cooked breakfast on it including eggs over light w/sausage, bacon & hash brown potatoes. Right now I am cooking some shish kabobs with Zucchini, Carrots, potatoes,& Steak. If you are a steak person this thing is fantastic.

Chuck,

I hear you. I have looked at the Spirit. It's the portability and small footprint of the Q3200 that keeps me coming back to it. The small headroom is part of what I like, rather than the limitation that you're seeing. I see that low dome keeping the heat where I want it. If I have something tall, it is most likely going to go into my Large Egg or my Bar-B-Kettle, anyway.

I think you'll find that the 3200 is definitely not "small footprint" or "portable". That product is pretty much married to it's cart and large propane tank. The 2200 is a little better at this, but I always just use the small bottles on mine when I take it away from home. Much easier this way. If you're truly wanting portable IMO go with the 2200. The nice thing I see on the 3200 is can get fierce hot, can simulate a decent indirect cook, and the side tables can be folded up and it can easily be tucked in to a corner of your garage (where my Q220 sits) or tucked away on the deck what have you. But portable it is not.
As for keeping heat down where you want it I don't think you're going to see much difference. It's a nice grill. but you may want to reexamine your needs and motivation for it because based on what I am reading from your posts you may end up kicking yourself

Thanks, LMichaels.

I may have over-stated my goal for portability. I'm not looking to tailgate or camp...just tuck the grill out of the way when not in use. As for footprint, I'm comparing it to a full sized gasser.

I started my quest looking at the 2200...but add the stand and the gas conversion kit, and the price is so close to the 3200 that the extra capacity seems worth the extra $50. Particularly since I am not looking for true portability...just scoot it out of the way portability.

If you buy the Q2200 you'll always wonder what cooking on the Q3200 would be like, so buy the Q3200 and only cry once.

Good luck and good cooking.

As long as the "portability" you're after it sounds like a plan. Especially if you plan on using a 20lb tank. IIRC the 3200 uses a conventional regulator (closer to the tank) while the 2200 uses one built on the control valve and is prone to problems. So yeah it may be your best choice. As for venting out the sides and making the side trays greasy, they all vent from the sides. I never noticed my side tables getting greasy

I have Q3200 natural gas model and really like it. I installed the griddle on the right hand side of the grill which is great for vegetables and it has a fairly small footprint which works for me with the house's small back porch. All in all I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

Very happy with my Q320. Like Tim, I've added the griddle to the right side and still find for average family cooks (fam. of 4) it's ample space.

Back