Seeking advice on a thermometer

Morrey,

Just want to make sure I'm hearing you correctly. The probes on the 732 do not fit through the eyelets that Guru sells? As stated earlier I just purchased the 732 and was going to order the eyelet next. What is your plan for making that work?

Thanks. mm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim (the grillaholic):
Jerry, I must say thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was wondering what was going on as I was responding to your post. Anyway, glad to help.

I wonder if the mod using the materials for re-wiring a lamp are the same inside diameter as the eyelets from Guru?(as This seems to be a pretty inexpensive alternative.)
Tim
mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif
as we speak!!

Mike/Tim;

I use two devices that necessitate running probes into the WSM smoker body. I bought and installed one set of Guru eyelets: one set has two eyelets in the pak. My Guru Digi-Q DX temp controller system uses both a pit probe and a food probe. Both of these Guru probes can go thru one Guru eyelet. This device is controlling my pit and reading food temps locally at the smoker, but has no remote transmission capabilities to let me monitor from inside the house. For remote monitoring, I used to use an ET-73, and both the pit and food probes for that device could fit in the other (second) Guru eyelet.

I upgraded to the new Maverick ET-732 recently. While I consider it a superior device, both probes are considerable thicker and heavier duty than the old 73. They will not fit thru the Guru eyelet at all. Not even one probe will go thru the eyelet, much less both probes as before.

Since the walls on the eyelets are thin and cant be drilled out much, my next thought is to go with the 3/8 inch drilled threaded lamp repair kit method. I suppose all four probes I use may potentially fit thru this one port, and will make for a neat cluster. Even if only the 732 probes will fit, I still have the eyelets in place for the Digi-Q probes.

Hope this helps make your decisions.

Ordered the ET-732 today! I will hold off on installing any eyelets on the WSM until I recieve the unit. At that point, I will go to Lowes and see which method will work best. Darn th bad luck! I guess I'll have to try an overnighter next weekend to..."get the feel" on how the Maverick works.
Tim

Just went to Lowes Home Improvement and found a packet of hollow "nipples" that contain several of them cut in various lengths, and I will use the shortest one which may be half inch long. Both ET-732 probes fit easily thru one of them. Also found a pack of lock nuts which will secure it in place once I drill a 3/8 inch hole.
Both items were found side by side on a hanging rack in the lamp repair section.
Paid $4 for both packs of items total.
Time to break out the drill.

Back