Seeking advice on a thermometer

Mike_Mc

TVWBB Member
Hey all,

First off, thanks for all the great posts. Can't believe how much I have crammed into my brain already from all you BBQ geniuses!

I am new to the WSM community (as of Christmas) and I do not yet have a good wireless meat thermometer. Hoping you guys can point me in the right direction for a good one.

Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.

I personaly do not use one of those. I just use a high quality polder brand digital meat thermometer. Some say you are opening your lid to the wsm too much but I know "about" when things are getting done after 20 years of smoking and grilling!

Well I can only aggre with Stefan´s choise of remote termo. I have the older Mav ET but i would love a 732. It should have a great range compare to the old one i have.

I dont have the same feel/experience for Temp/time like Dean and thats why i use a remote termo.

But as Dean said i would love an instant read termo like Thermapen for the kettle use,or the smoked turkey were you might wanna check a few different places before you pull it off.

Another vote for the ET-732.

A Thermapen is on my wish list but cheaper Polder digital units work just fine both pen-type and wired units.

I've used the ET-73 for several years now and have loved it, although, I did have a few gripes about it. Those gripes seemed to have been fixed with the new ET-732. I ordered one last week and am just waiting for it to come in the mail. Can't wait to actually be able to have it next to my bed as I sleep with the new extended range.

I also use a Thermapen which comes in handy on stuff like chicken.

Maverick and thermapen are my therms of choice as well. Expensive but both are worth the money.

If your planning on using it with the WSM mostly, I would start with the Maverick for sure. Which is good...it's cheaper!
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for all the advice. As I do not feel that I am quite good enough to go off look and feel alone, it seems the votes are with the ET 732. I think I will go that route. Thanks again!

Another vote for the Maverick et-732. It's especially nice for overnight cooks. not having to run outside to check the cooker. Gives cooker temp and meat temp and has alarms for too low or too high temps. I also want a thermapen but that's gonna have to wait. $90 is a bit high for now.

732 is the newer unit. Main update from the ET-73 is the wireless range, which needed improving. If you are thinking of buying one of the two spend the extra 20$ and buy the 732.

Great advice guys, I think its time to stop playing, and step up to a maverick. 2 questions:
1)Do you run both probe wires through the same probe hole in the side of the WSM?
2)The bbq temp probe, do you lay it on the bottom grate? where is the best place to place this probe to get consistant reads?
Thanks again,
Tim

I run both through the vent hole in the lid. Someone told me not to take grate readings due to variances from hot / cold meat. So I keep it up near the vent hole. JMHO I'm a real newb here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luis L.:
Can someone tell me the difference between the ET-73 and ET-732? The ET732 is considerably more expensive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Part of the cost difference is that it IS the new model. But more importantly, as was alluded by Mike Freeman, Maverick has specifically addressed with the ET-732 almost all of the complaints and "wish list" items that customers had for the ET-73. It is simply a significantly better thermometer.

To start (and VERY important) the temperature range has been expanded -- especially upward. When used in a grill or even a high heat cook on the WSM, the higher temps can damage an ET-73. Second, and more important to many, the range of the remote has been extended from 100 ft to 300 ft. For me that was critical because my shop is 140 ft from my grill area. Maverick claims the probes have been improved so that cleaning is less likely to damage them (but still don't immerse in water). The on/off switch is now outside (not in the sealed battery compartment). The battery in one component (the remote, I think) is now accessible without useing a screwdriver (but the other still requires one
icon_frown.gif
). There are some other minor corrections, but I think these are the major ones. Well worth the $60. I suspect that the ET-73 is likely to be discontinued at some point. That may also enter the picture (and contribute to lower prices).

Rich

Brian, thanks for the info, but that leads me to another question...
If my WSM alreay has a thermometer in the lid, why do I need another one? I have read (on many occasions) that the lid thermometer is not always the most accurate, (as is the temp at the lid the same temp as at the grates) but up to this point, it has proven reliable and I haven't burned or ruined any meat yet.
The temp probe (the bbq temp probe) will mainly be used for my mini WSM, as I do not yet have a thermometer mounted on it yet.
Just wanting to get the most out of a fine grilling/smoking thermometer.
Thanks again,
Tim.

Just FYI,

I just ordered my new ET 732 (Happy Bday me!!) from yard and pool on the web. With a coupon code(found on the internet) and shipping the total came to $62.98. Pretty good from what I have seen from other places I thought.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim (the grillaholic):
If my WSM alreay has a thermometer in the lid, why do I need another one? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess one answer is the obvious - the one you have doesn't connect to a receiver that will beep when the temp goes down.

Assuming you're really asking about placement - I would just say, it really doesn't matter where you put it. I'd keep it away from the edges, but to me, the most important thing is to get consistent temp readings. Being off a few degrees from some "actual" is not that important. Get it somewhere near the middle to stay away from the sides and don't touch any meat with the probe.

If you haven't "burned or ruined any meat yet", then why even spend the money on a new thermometer? It shouldn't be to improve temp reading. The reason to by the ET-732 is mobility and the alarm function.

Jerry, I must say thanks! After reading your response, I realized what a "duh-huh" moment I had! Even after reading the posts, going to the maverick website, and even watching some you tube videos, I totaly forgot about the wireless aspect! (see what I mean by duh-huh!!!) A few degrees (between the two thremometers) isn't nearly as important as the 300+' range you get by haveing the 732.
As the saying goes, "I can see clearly now the rain is gone"!!
Thanks again,
Tim

Tim,

It all boils down to what makes you happy, and my guess is that BBQ equipment makes you happy! I have 3 older ET-73's and just got in a new ET-732. I am totally impressed with it. I use Guru eyelets to run the probes into the smoker since I dont want to crimp the leads under the lid. The new probes are thicker and heavier duty, and will not fit thru the eyelets. I will figure out something, but thats not a biggie considering the advantages and upgrades. The new 732 is awesome.
I also love my Thermapen. It is great to get quick reads on meat temps. But most importantly to me is that I get the "feel" of doneness while inserting the probe tip. You will get resistance if not done, and a buttery feel if close or done. Then the temp it reads confirms where you are in the cooking process.
Regarding placing the pit probe, I use a silicon probe tree, also sold by Guru. It holds the pit probe up off the metal grill and away from the edges where the heat rises. I also place it away from cold meat for better readings.

Good cooking!

Back