Searwood instead of Genesis?

Edward Lee

TVWBB Member
I currently have an 18” WSM and a Kenmore that’s looking a little ragged. I had been planning to treat myself to a new Genesis to replace the Kenmore. Among other things, I was excited to add the Weber griddle insert to my cooking capabilities.

Now, after seeing some of the recent Searwood reviews, I’ve been thinking I might go this direction instead of the new gas grill.

Seems like I could do most everything I had planned for the gas grill with the Searwood, but tastier with pellets rather than gas.

Anyone have any thoughts on a new Searwood vs a new Genesis?

I currently have an 18” WSM and a Kenmore that’s looking a little ragged. I had been planning to treat myself to a new Genesis to replace the Kenmore. Among other things, I was excited to add the Weber griddle insert to my cooking capabilities.

Now, after seeing some of the recent Searwood reviews, I’ve been thinking I might go this direction instead of the new gas grill.

Seems like I could do most everything I had planned for the gas grill with the Searwood, but tastier with pellets rather than gas.

Honestly if you can hold out until you see what cold weather does with it, I'd hold off. Because honestly you're on the right track. Plus I think it runs cheaper on pellets than LP. Maybe not NG but I'd almost bet they run cheaper than LP.
Look at the cook I just completed today. I ran Big Z since about 2100 last night until just about 1100 today. I estimate I used MAYBE 8lbs of pellets. I buy them at $12.99 for 40lbs which means I ran it for $.32 per pound 8X.32 for $2.56. Had this been LP, running that long (that is IF one could run that long on one tank) you would be buying at least $14 worth of LP.
If the Searwood works as well as it looks so far, it should run like a bargain.

From new gas grill to pellet grill? Awesome! I love the indecisiveness, especially after all the time spent agonizing over the different versions of the new Genesis models. Keep it coming!

Since I got my SmokeFire a year ago I only used my gas grill once. For me, the SmokeFire does it all.

Same here. I used the Wolf once MAYBE twice all last year. Mostly all I did was uncover it and clean it and look it it when we weren't having rain. :D When I felt I wanted/needed to use gas.................The Q320 was pressed into service

I don't even own a gas grill anymore. Smokefire, charcoal and blackstone. I have no experience with the Searwood but the main advantage of gas is the speed. Quick to come up to temp and to recover.

From new gas grill to pellet grill? Awesome! I love the indecisiveness, especially after all the time spent agonizing over the different versions of the new Genesis models. Keep it coming!
These are big decisions for some people. To me a quality grill whether gas, charcoal or pellet offers up something unique.

Taste? Weekday convenience? WiFi or not? Old school?

We have three gassers, one NG and two propane. The NG E320 gets used 90% of the time vs the two propane grills. Barb sears veggies with it and I use it for quick cooks.
Our pellet grill does almost all of our longer cooks. It does have the high heat searing feature and it works well but for that kind of cook I prefer charcoal and the performer, or the Jumbo Joe gets the call on those as they take less time to set up.
The nice feature about the NG E320 is it never runs out of gas so we also use it for our summer oven to keep the heat out of the house.

I should probably stop hanging around this place. Too many cool grills keep showing up. 😁 The post linking to a Searwood review yesterday made it seem awfully appealing. I was also halfway tempted to want the WSK after seeing this post. 😜

I don't even own a gas grill anymore. Smokefire, charcoal and blackstone. I have no experience with the Searwood but the main advantage of gas is the speed. Quick to come up to temp and to recover.
It sounds like it could get up to a reasonable cooking temp for some burgers or brats - which is the typical weekday meal on the grill when I’m in a rush - in about 10 minutes. Assuming that’s accurate, that seems like something I can live with.

It sounds like it could get up to a reasonable cooking temp for some burgers or brats - which is the typical weekday meal on the grill when I’m in a rush - in about 10 minutes. Assuming that’s accurate, that seems like something I can live with.
I hate recommending stuff in case it doesn’t work out.
I have a SmokeFire and I like it, I can say the Searwood looks like a winner so far.
Price point is good, it’s performing well. Manual mode seems to be a hit.
I’d like a larger top grate because I do most of my smoking there, but it certainly would be on the list when the SF gives up on me, if not the leader.
I do get calls as a BBQ nerd and yesterday a guy who wants a Traeger asked for recommendations, I sent the Searwood and Camp Chef Woodwind Pro.
I did make it clear though Traeger makes a great product so trust yourself.
That being said they do nothing for me.

These are big decisions for some people. To me a quality grill whether gas, charcoal or pellet offers up something unique.

Taste? Weekday convenience? WiFi or not? Old school?
Thanks for understanding where I’m at! 😁

Taste and convenience are probably main priority - in that order. Also want to go with Weber. Also want ability to use the Weber crafted griddle insert and maybe try a rotisserie one day.

I am kind of a tech geek, so WiFi is a nice to have, but not top priority.

I figure if I ever have a burning need to go “old school” charcoal, the WSM can serve that function in a pinch.

FWIW, from a strictly aesthetic standpoint, the 2022 versions of the Genesis in black enamel is still my favorite. It just looks badass! 😁

Nearby Ace has a Searwood in stock. If I can get all my chores done this morning, pretty sure I’m going to pull the trigger today.

Thanks for understanding where I’m at! 😁

Taste and convenience are probably main priority - in that order. Also want to go with Weber. Also want ability to use the Weber crafted griddle insert and maybe try a rotisserie one day.

I am kind of a tech geek, so WiFi is a nice to have, but not top priority.

I figure if I ever have a burning need to go “old school” charcoal, the WSM can serve that function in a pinch.

FWIW, from a strictly aesthetic standpoint, the 2022 versions of the Genesis in black enamel is still my favorite. It just looks badass! 😁

Nearby Ace has a Searwood in stock. If I can get all my chores done this morning, pretty sure I’m going to pull the trigger today.
Sounds like a good choice. Enjoy!

Even a regular pellet grill can be used hot enough for everyday work. Winter is the only thing I've seen that challenges their capability. Which is why I mentioned maybe holding out and getting cold weather performance reports on it

If memory serves, there was only one occasion when I used my SmokeFire for a HH cook, and it was when I was a bachelor for one day and wanted to experiment by smoking a single Ribeye followed by a reverse sear. I have not been looking at these Searwood vids but when I think about some high heat family cooks it seems like I want relative evenness of temperature across a larger area of real estate than what I imagine the SF delivering. Recognizably, there are also times when uneven grate temps are desirable.

Is my assumption wrong about the SF delivering relatively decent HH temps across a large area?

Do you have room for a summit kamado too?
Unfortunately, I currently have neither room in my grill area (or my budget 😁) for both. As it is, I’m trying to figure out if there is someplace I can stick the old Kenmore gas grill, at least temporarily, just in case I find myself needing it for some reason. Maybe someday the WSM gets replaced with a Kamado. 🤔 Or maybe I need to build a larger grilling area in my yard. 😁

Back