Searing - SnS vs. baskets vs. banked coals

For those that are using firebricks (@ChadRex @Timothy F. Lewis ), does the brick act as a heat sink? If so, I assume that just helps create a more defined temperature difference between the zones? But doesn’t impact your ability to reach high searing temps in the hot zone? Thanks again.

For those that are using firebricks (@ChadRex @Timothy F. Lewis ), does the brick act as a heat sink? If so, I assume that just helps create a more defined temperature difference between the zones? But doesn’t impact your ability to reach high searing temps in the hot zone? Thanks again.
Yes, it acts as a pretty serious sink until they get hot. Full disclosure, I did not like using them, in the kettles, just one more thing to fool around with, there might be times when it works very well but, I could not find the point where they were not more hassle than they were worth.
I have always been a basket guy, when my wife’s son got me the super heavy duty 304 baskets for my 60th birthday my smile was huge! I’m 66 now and they get used several times a week! No, they are NOT pristine, they are always in my “Overperformer” ready at the drop of match! Maybe one of the best gifts EVER! If they were still available, I’d get another red sets!

I mostly use the firebricks exclusively for my long low n slow cooks.

If you have the slow n sear and fill the water trough up with water. It functions the same. Some people use the charcoal baskets and line the long flat edge with foil to use as a heat deflector.

I use the Bro N sear with Firebricks and a half moon drip tray on the cool zone side.

I prefer to always use a 2 zone setup, even for burgers, slow cooking zone with a searing zone
I am able to cook Kalbi flank cut ribs and sear burgers with the 2 zone.

Either way the intended purpose is to isolate the radiant heat to one side and forcing the heat / smoke up and over the food out the vent.

Weber designed their kettle to use 2 charcoal baskets for indirect , using the middle for the food. I used to grill Thanksgiving Turkey this way. Placing the Turkey in the center and baskets on either side with a water pan underneath. Placing the lid so the vent and thermometer run in the middle over the food. This method works great, I find it's harder to maintain a true indirect low zone.

My Performers are the best grills I have ever had. I don't need anything else, these grill do everything and do it well. The fun thing about it is managing airflow and being involved in the entire grilling process. When I have food on the grill I am never the "set it & forget it type.

20231007_210750.JPG
20231023_173850.JPG

Last edited:
Now, I never said I was a set and forget guy. When one can successfully manage a fire without the constant manipulation of food two things happen, the food cooks more quickly and you have less possibility of flare up. That said, I’m a strong proponent of the “if you’re looking, you’re not cooking!” school. Multi zone cooking is very easy and forgiving once you figure out what works for YOU! What I like, you might not. There are a hundred stories in the naked grill…
I know, bad ”Naked City” reference but, it just went through my head!
Oh, just for reference, in 40+ years of Weber cooking, I’ve used a water pan twice, now, a drip pan is a different animal.

My favourite way to cook steaks (at the moment) is the Jess Pryles, Just Keep Flipping method.

Cooked direct over lumpwood just flip the steaks over every 45 - 60 seconds. It creates a great crust.

For a traditional reverse sear I just bank coals to one side. No need for any additional accessories.

Here's a ribeye cooked JKF style.

IMG_9867.jpeg

Last edited:
if you take apart a pair of charcoal baskets, you can use the straight sections as an expandable charcoal fence. This can be adjusted to whatever size you want your hot zone to be for any given cook. The curved sections can also be used to protect the bowl if you are worried about your porcelain.

Attachments

• 20150206_163603.jpg
    20150206_163603.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 8
  • 20150206_163948.jpg
    20150206_163948.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 8
I've found that covering the charcoal grate on the side opposite the fire sends most of the heat away from the center of the grill and precludes the need for a physical barrier to define the hot and cool sides.

Back