S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
@TimTheGrillaholic (in Lexington, NC - home of some great pork barbecue)

I can't speak for Tim in Wisconsin, but I tried my mini-WSM using just the charcoal grate in the SJS and found that the ashes from K briquettes almost choked off the air despite having placed a 28 oz. tomato can - cut to size and with air holes - over the bottom vents. I made a charcoal basket of the same circumference as the charcoal grate and as tall as the the bottom of the tamale pot - less maybe a half inch. Now I can line the basket with unlit and put in about 10 lit or less in the center and get a good steady burn for about 5 hours. I'm sure I could get it to burn longer using all of the space above the charcoal grate, but I found that I couldn't keep the temp low enough without occasionally removing the lid. This means that a long smoke requires a lot of attention because the mass of the Smokey Joe doesn't allow for much error and will give either too hot or too cool temps quickly, IME.

I find that the Smokey Joe is perfect for ribs and for chickens because they don't have to cook as long as butts and briskets. I am yet to try a butt or a brisket on the Smokey Joe because I haven't been willing to devote that much time and attention to the process. I've got an MES40 and a OTG kettle that give me more control over heat.

This is just my 2cent contribution to the conversation. I've not been smoking meat for very long and learn a lot every time I make TBS. I'm just glad to have several weapons in my arsenal.

Originally posted by R. Hutchins:
@TimTheGrillaholic (in Lexington, NC - home of some great pork barbecue)

I can't speak for Tim in Wisconsin, but I tried my mini-WSM using just the charcoal grate in the SJS and found that the ashes from K briquettes almost choked off the air despite having placed a 28 oz. tomato can - cut to size and with air holes - over the bottom vents. I made a charcoal basket of the same circumference as the charcoal grate and as tall as the the bottom of the tamale pot - less maybe a half inch. Now I can line the basket with unlit and put in about 10 lit or less in the center and get a good steady burn for about 5 hours. I'm sure I could get it to burn longer using all of the space above the charcoal grate, but I found that I couldn't keep the temp low enough without occasionally removing the lid. This means that a long smoke requires a lot of attention because the mass of the Smokey Joe doesn't allow for much error and will give either too hot or too cool temps quickly, IME.

I find that the Smokey Joe is perfect for ribs and for chickens because they don't have to cook as long as butts and briskets. I am yet to try a butt or a brisket on the Smokey Joe because I haven't been willing to devote that much time and attention to the process. I've got an MES40 and a OTG kettle that give me more control over heat.

This is just my 2cent contribution to the conversation. I've not been smoking meat for very long and learn a lot every time I make TBS. I'm just glad to have several weapons in my arsenal.

Bob you can cook butts and briskets in 5 hrs or less. Just takes a higher heat and perhaps cutting the butt down some.

For example on a bone in butt. I remove the bone and slice the butt in half so a have 2 flatish pieces.

I then rub the interior and roll/fold the butt, tie with string and rub the exterior. I now have 2 pieces about 4 lbs each which take about 5 hrs at 300± degrees.

Bob you can cook butts and briskets in 5 hrs or less. Just takes a higher heat and perhaps cutting the butt down some.

For example on a bone in butt. I remove the bone and slice the butt in half so a have 2 flatish pieces.

I then rub the interior and roll/fold the butt, tie with string and rub the exterior. I now have 2 pieces about 4 lbs each which take about 5 hrs at 300± degrees.

Thanks, John.

I don't doubt what the mini can do but I do doubt my own ability at this point. When I have more experience controlling the heat and get better at it, I will try both a butt and a brisket. My problem is that I'm learning to use the MES, the Smoker Joe and my OTG all at the same time. I got the MES just before Thanksgiving '11. After joining TVWBB and seeing this thread, I just had to make the mini and while I was lurking CL for parts, I found the OTG.

Again, thanks for the help. I'll probably be back asking questions when the big day comes and I try the mini with longer smokes.

Follow-up on a charcoal basket in the mini.

Here is a pick of the basket I cobbled together using EM and wire. I load it then take out 7-10 briquettes in the middle which I light in the chimney started and place back in the middle of the ring. It gives me a good long smoke and leaves more of the ashes in the basket and fewer around the can that protects the bottom vents.

http://s1077.photobucket.com/a...current=IMGP0813.jpg

Hope this helps.

Hello from Italy,
First, thank you for this post. Very interesting.
I tried to replicate the beautiful project.
The only problem was finding the right pot. I found it in Germany thanks to Ebay.
Some pictures.

DSCN0924.jpg

DSCN0908.jpg

DSCN0911.jpg

DSCN0912.jpg

DSCN0916.jpg

DSCN0910.jpg

With a ribs rack by IKEA
icon_smile.gif

DSCN0920.jpg

DSCN0919.jpg

DSCN0906.jpg

DSCN0900.jpg

Bye
Daniele from Vicenza (Italy)

Hi Daniele!

Where abouts did you find it on the german ebay? (got an itemid/link to the advertisement?) and how much did it cost you in total?

I'm having a hard time finding a similar pot in the netherlands.

Gerald:

Suggest that, if you already have your Smokey Joe, take it to a commercial restaurant supply dealer and search for a pot. You will be able to confirm that it fits. I have found commercial pots that will fit. Although they are more expensive than the consumer pot, there is an advantage in that the commercial pots are much thicker and more durable.

Originally posted by Gerald Raucamp:
Hi Daniele!

Where abouts did you find it on the german ebay? (got an itemid/link to the advertisement?) and how much did it cost you in total?

I'm having a hard time finding a similar pot in the netherlands.

Hi LDean,

That is a great suggestion! Actually, based on Daniele's ebay suggestions, I started looking around on the web for commercial restaurant suppliers in the netherlands.

So far, most of the largest souppots are 24cm in diameter (and bloody expensive
icon_biggrin.gif
)

Some of the biggest pots I found, with the correct 36cm diameter went into the 150-180 euro range. Bit steep, and quite a shame to cut into. With the sandwiched thick bottoms and stainless steel all around. Nice though, but expensive.

Will try to found some real-world stores too and look around. At least I have an inkling where to look for them
icon_biggrin.gif

I finally got around to finishing my mini. I will be putting it through its paces next week while I am on vacation.

First step was to cut out the bottom. I first traced a line around a 12" terra cotta saucer. Next I cut it out using a jigsaw. I think I used too course of a blade as it started to deform the bottom near the end of the cut. Aluminum is soft so I was able to reform it.

sj1.jpg
sj2.jpg
sj3.jpg

The charcoal basket I made from EM 1/2"

sj4.jpg

18" grill charcoal grate sitting on the steamer ridge. This will allow me to heap the charcoal basket higher with charcoal.

sj5.jpg

12" terra cotta saucer on grate. I also have 8" saucers to see how they regulate the temp.

sj6.jpg

Bottom grate at 7" from the top of the pot. This will be good for beer can chicken or a second layer of appetizers.

sj7.jpg

Top grate 4" down from the top edge.

sj8.jpg

All together. I have one grommet in right now for temp probes.

sj9.jpg

Tim, the mini looks great. I bet you'll be able to get some real long cooks being able to mound the charcoal like that. Cant wait to see some a action shots!
Great looking mini,
Tim

Here is my first smoke in my mini. 14# Turkey. Light at 1:30pm minion method. Bird on at 2pm off at 5pm. All shut down by 5:30pm. Used hardly any charcoal.

120702b.jpg

Tim that looks great.....how did it turn out?
Sure would like to see some shots of it cut up.
I wanted to try a 12 pound turkey last Thanksgiving,but chickened out and did onthe big smoker.These little smokers never stop amazing me.

Originally posted by rich langer:
Timothy, what temp did you use for the turkey? What size saucer?

9" saucer wrapped in foil. My SJ is a pre 1983 so I have 3 daisy wheel vents rather than the one big 4 holer. I ran it wide open and it was going at 350 deg. 3/4 of the charcoal was left over too.

Just got the parts from Amazon, looks like the pot is a good fit;
fitsgood.jpg

I'll do some more homework tonight, some cutting tomorrow morning, and beef ribs in the evening... if all goes well.

Here's another build from another new member. It's the IMUSA (china) pot from Target that I bought with a father's day gift card. I crimped the rim with a c-clamp and paint sticks. Besides taking longer this worked out great because there is no room for air/smoke to escape. The SJS had only been used twice in 5 years before the build. The logo chipped when pulling off the tape and this was mainly due to no primer not the heat of the smoker being used. The lines are there and I can easily hand paint some maroon anytime.

12%25209%253A54%253A24%2520PM.jpg

12%252010%253A24%253A22%2520PM.jpg

12%25209%253A55%253A20%2520PM.jpg
12%25209%253A54%253A58%2520PM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back