S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completed my Mini and promptly christened it with a nine pound butt and an eleven hour cook. I started with 80 unlit and 10 lit. As you can tell by the pics I used a SJS and took care of the ash problem a bit differently. During the eleven hours the Mini ran at 220° - 240°. I added an extra 10 - 15 briquettes twice and although the ash never clogged the bottom vents the amount of it building up in the bottom was an issue and when I added the extra fuel both times I stirred the coals a little. A charcoal with less ash would be better for extended cooks. I used Kroger brand.

The lid on mine fit fine on the empty test cook but leaked a little on this butt cook. I just put the meat on and came back 45 min later to find the temps were not steady. That robbed some heat but stopped once it got smoking good. 

As for the construction, I cut out the bottom of the steamer pot and left about 1 1/2" on the outside edge. For the diffuser I used a 12" foiled pizza pan set on 1" steel "L" brackets bent at a 45° angle (to fit the curved edge of the pizza pan better) and bolted to the bottom lip. A foiled steel 9" pie pan sits on top of the pizza pan for drippings. The spacing on my grates I chose to allow for either two or three racks. The bottom rack sits on the indention and 3 3/4" above it the next rack and 3 3/4" above that, the next. Also 6" above the bottom rack are supports as well. If I choose two racks I can have six inches of clearance and if three racks each rack would have just under four inches. I used 8-32 bolts double- nutted and the protruding bolt cut off for rack supports. The cans are a 28 oz and a Rotel can (that will need the paint burned out of the inside if you choose it). I used a Dremel to cut the circle out of the top of the larger can and the make slits in the smaller can to slip through the charcoal grate. Then bent the tab ends back on the small can to hold it all together. Now I can pick up the grate and both cans as a unit and it goes back right in place. If you do this, note that the cans will be off center of each other to allow the easiest passage of the can through the grate.

The butt turned out just as good as any other I've done. Interestingly this was the first time I've not used a water pan.  [IMG:left]
40cc4d8e.jpg
[/IMG] [IMG:left]
8b3ab82a.jpg
a5e0ccd8.jpg
b7b1e270.jpg
5fc5eb0e.jpg
4202b650.jpg
676bddaf.jpg
b0082649.jpg
f5ddec7a.jpg
8da2138c.jpg
[/IMG]

I finished my SJ Smoker today and i'm pretty happy with how it turned out
The lid holder/clamp works great. Makes it easy to lift and move around and holds the pot and lid down nice and tight. Hopefully it will stop any air leaks
Can't wait to take it camping
DSC04044-1.jpg

I made a charcoal basket out of expanded SS
DSC04039-1.jpg

And used an old pizza tray as a heat baffle
DSC04040-1.jpg

Two cooking grates
DSC04041-1.jpg

Gonna kick it over tonight and test her out

The latest crop of minis look great! I just completed mine yesterday. I need to paint it still, looking for a good Vikings purple since the SJ is an NFL Vikings edition.

Howdy All;

First post here as I just received my acceptance email.

Been a lurker for a week or so, just having found out about the conversion job that ya'll have done so well with.

Question (1st. of many), Has anyone considered the use of, ... say a 4 or 5 inch dia. length of exhaust pipe as a air inlet for the sjs's to help with the ash clogging ????

So far, while I was waiting I've had the oppertunity to read every post in this forum (the mini wsm that is).

Gald to make ya'll's aquaintance...

hank

Mac, Howdy;

Courious as to if it is a sutiable alloy/grade of steel for use around food...?
Most Muffler shops have plenty of cut-off sections rollin' around on the floor...

hank

Howdy All;

From what I've been able to find out about the exhaust pipe is, that it's generally Stainless
generally not the shiney type which means less chromium (a +), Going to visit a few shops
to see what kinds of 'cut-off left-overs' they have rollin' around on the floor...

hank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back