Rotisserie or 26" Kettle for next purchase?

BWise

Hey Folks - sure would appreciate some help on a decision I'm struggling a little with. Scenario is that i do all my grilling on a performer (which i love). For Smoking i have a Cajun Bandit. My grill to smoke ratio is probably 90/10. I have on occasion recently ran out of space on my grill, but that is a rare occasion. I should mention i do have a smokey joe for that purpose and it serves that purpose just fine. However, the weber inside of me wants a 26". Badley. At the same time, I am also thinking about getting a rotti for the performer. Finances will only allow for one or the other - at this time. So - any sage advice?

I normally spatchcock my chicken and like them that way, but think the rotti would be a nice addition and fun toy. But all that real estate on the 26 sure looks appealing.

what say you tvwbb board? help...

Well, those 2 items are definitely not apples to apples comparisons. :)

Do you have room for the 26" kettle, along with your Performer? If you buy a 26er, will you still be using the Performer just as much?

You said finances will only allow one or the other at this time... well a new Weber roto is $150 and a new 26" kettle is twice that.

In my opinion, given that you already have a 22" kettle and a SJ as a standby, you'll get more bang for less buck by going with the roto. You'll be able to use the roto for more than just chickens, btw... The 26er would be great for having lots of room for indirect cooking, or for cooking for bigger crowds, but it sounds like what you have already has you covered for most of those situations.

It sounds like you'll possibly have both someday, so which do you want more than the other in the short term?

I agree with Chris on all except the cost. When I bought my Rotisserie I also purchased The Cajun Bandit ss ring for my performer. The cost of the two together were closer to the cost of the 26". BWise, you say you have a Cajun Bandit, however, I think its the CB door for the WSM but of course I'm not sure. I'm with Chris, get the Rotisserie and have fun doing different cooking method's.
Good luck and good smoken

Bill

Hmmmm..... I'd get the rotisserie for sure. Until Weber comes out with a 26" performer, I'm sticking with my 22.5" performer and I've got a couple kettles for extra room/company if necessary. I've picked up more than one used kettle on Craigslist for next to nothing.

Some guys here have both the Performer and the 26" and many use the performer more regularly because of the convenience of that table, etc.

Btw; you can cook a couple chickens on Weber's rotisserie. I probably use my rotisserie once or twice a month and sometimes even more frequently - truly this is one of the best accessories and great fun to try out different rubs and recipes.

Good luck!

Thanks guys - I appreciate all the great input! You guys have pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. I purposely left out that once upon a time I had a 26er and got rid of it when my kids got grown. I just didn't need the room and struggled with the temps. I guess the decision really comes down to is the extra room warranted for the rare occasion that I need it? Or is it smarter to get to get something I can use along with the performer which I love. That is what I am hearing you all say and I agree the rotti is the way to go. Good advice and I am glad I sought it!

Pete - I like the idea if am extra kettle too. A lot

Bill I actually have the whole Cajun bandit big 2 rack ring. I think I am calling it the right thing but sorry for the confusion on my part if not.

Chris thank you for your great input also

Feels better to have that decision made but would still welcome any others input they may have to offer.

Brad

Based upon your parameters it sounds like you should invest in the roti. You indicated you only rarely had an issue with grill space so expanding your options at 22.5" sounds like a better plan. I use my 22.5 roti all the time and really love it. It adds a completely new dimension to my high heat cooking. Cajun Bandit makes a roti ring as well as Weber. I have the Weber and has some fit issues that would make it difficult to use for low and slow...

Regards,

John

Cajun Bandit: Cooked at 400 F for an 1 hour15 minutes with a couple chunks of cherry wood. Ending temp 170-175.

Filled inside with onion, lime, seasoning, and jalapeno. Injected with butter, coconut oil, habanero spice and SPG. Injected internally breast and thighs and also under the skin, also placed some fluid inside the cavity.

Chicken was good and I don't even like chicken. This is the second time I seasoned using the method above; as a result, chicken is going to be a regular item at my house a couple times/month.

CraigW

Man Craig, that looks awesome! i went ahead and ordered my CJB Rotiss Ring over the weekend it is scheduled to arrive before Father's Day. the pics of your cooks and your success have me even more excited and more assured this purchase was the right decision. Grateful for everyone's advice on this. bw

I think you made the right decision. If you look at my signature line I pretty much have all the cooking capacity I need with two performers, two smokers and two gassers and a 18.5 kettle and a Smokey Joe that sometimes does just what yours does if things get a little tight on one of the performers. A roti for one of the performers is going to be my next purchase also.

Back