Rib help needed

Mark Foreman

TVWBB All-Star
Got a small (2 1/4 lbs) rack of Coleman St. Louis pork ribs. I usually dry rub, smoke, then baste with BBQ sauce.

Since I will be alone Friday hanging with the Corgis, I am looking for new flavor profile.

BTW - want to cook hot and fast without brine.

Any suggestions?

Mark, I'm checking my St. Louis rib recipes for you. I just found a recipe for "Old Faithful Beer Mop, 6 ingredients, interested?

Bummer , sorry, read how to make the mop and it calls for 1 TB. of the dry rib rub recipe above it -darn

I am going to post it anyway on the sauce, mop, marinade thread. It still sounds good without the rub. :giggle:

Any suggestions?
Cut the ribs into individuals before cooking them
Use a good brown-sugar based rub, and generously cover each rib entirely
BBQ them at 250/275 and mop them (I use sugar free coke and Jack Daniels mop. The sugar free won't burn)
When they start to tender up (a couple to a few hours) glaze them in a good BBQ sauce (Stubbs Sweet Heat)
Pull them when toothpick tender (usually about 200 degrees IT)

You'll end up with a great rib with crust all around

It might just be me (and getting older lol) but do pork ribs taste as good as they used to to you?

I just found this but no date or where it came from.

• Farmers have increasingly focused on producing leaner meat to meet consumer demands for healthier, less fatty foods. As a result, pigs have reduced their average body fat by 20 percent.

I sometimes get tired of ribs that are sweet. Lately I’ve worked on finding a savory recipe and I’ve had some fun with that.

Last ribs I did a basic SPG rub and then instead of mopping with BBQ sauce I used canned pork gravy. Wasn’t too bad, I’ve tried using balsamic vinaigrette as an mop, also green taco sauce. They ranged from barely ok to pretty good.

We have had such bad luck with our ribs lately that it will be a long time before I can convince DH to cook them again. We both like them fatter.

Mark I’ve been hanging my ribs for the last 6 or so weeks and I like the change in flavor.
Hang at 245-250f for near 3 hours until I like the way they look.
Tightly paper wrap with butter, honey and a little bit of my spritzer juice for about an hour back in the wsm on the grill until the rack feels flexible.
Place on grill after wrap with minimal mop for 10 minutes.
This is a different flavor profile for me and I like the change.

Joan I sadly think the days of reasonable priced top tier ribs are gone.
There are ways to get better ribs but they are kinda spendy.
My Buddy has a place in Texas and when he visits there he brings back a bunch of the nicest ribs I’ve seen from the local butcher down there that he knows really well.
He says it’s reasonably priced but he is a Texan and everything always seems to be better in Texas :).
A few of my other friends swear by designer pigs grown on hobby type farms where you can see how they are raised and pick the one you want.
I’ve even been shame talked into going this route but I have no shame when it comes to saving money.
There is nothing cheap about picking designer pigs and it’s freaking spendy so I just do my best to pick from Costco.

Last edited:
I've done a couple hot and fast rib cooks but always loin backs. But I'd be down to try a spare. Anyway, to keep it different Id go with a zaatar spice blend. Oregano, marjoram, thyme, etc... Google it and check it out. I've found it to be awesome on pork. Good luck.

ZA'ATAR
1/4 cup sumac
2 TB. Thyme
1 TB roasted sesame seeds
2 TB. marjoram
2 TB. oregano
1 tsp. coarse salt

Combine a few TB. of the Za'atar with lemon zest, lemon juice and olive oil and use it to marinate chicken, shrimp, fish or meats and grill. We serve it with a simple salad and some couscous on the side. It is one of our favorite quick and simple meals.

I posted it here almost 2 years ago.

Got a small (2 1/4 lbs) rack of Coleman St. Louis pork ribs. I usually dry rub, smoke, then baste with BBQ sauce.

Since I will be alone Friday hanging with the Corgis, I am looking for new flavor profile.

BTW - want to cook hot and fast without brine.

Any suggestions?
I've been using SPOG as a rub and spritzing with ACV/water 50/50 mix lately. 250 to 300 degrees no wrap. Did a small rack of spares Sunday on the kettle rotisserie over pecan/mesquite briquettes. and they turned out great. Pleasant change from the normal sweet profile.

my SPOG:
2 parts black pepper, restaurant grind
1 part Kosher salt (Morton's)
1/2 part granulated garlic
1/2 part granulated onion

I like your spog mix Bob.
Mine is very similar.
I’m not happy with the store bought corse ground pepper that is sold in my area so I grind my own.
It’s a bit chunkier.

Ok…
Here’s the plan:
WSK at 300F with pecan wood (indirect using WCBs).
Rub: SPGG - Salt, pepper, garlic, ginger - may add onion??
Cook 2 1/2 hours with ACV spritz every 45 minutes till toothpick tender. Will not be wrapping.
Final sauce - Korean wing sauce glaze (from Rasamalaysia.com). Will have red cabbage slaw as a side (from TheSpruceEats.com).

I really appreciate the feedback from all! It was fun figuring out what to do. I’ll post pictures….

Back