Restaurant Depot

Greg M.

TVWBB Fan
We just had one open and I'm interested in joining. I am a partner in a small consulting firm but it is clear from the name that we are not affiliated with the restaurant community. Does anyone know my chances of scoring a membership?

Also, what items are good to purchase there with respect to recreational cooking? Thanks.

Not sure about your chances of getting a membership. I had to bring my State of Illinois Tax ID number certificate when I got my membership. Pre-register on line if you can, and get a $25 coupon good on your first purchase of $100 or more(easy to spend $100 there).

I really like the pork. Its cryo packed, but not injected with sodium fillers.

Bone in pork butts right now are $1.02/lb for 2 packs, less for whole cases.

BB's and spares are in 3 packs, and are meaty. BB's are around $2.79/lb, and spares were $1.59/lb last time I was there.

Check out the rack of their sale meats, I have seen BB's for $2.49/lb, whole brickets for $1.15/lb. , etc.

RO lump charcoal is $8 for a 17.6 lb bag.

SPices are decent.

I havent been disappointed I joined at all. Even in Chicago where I have access to some of the freshest meat around I find myself @ RD alot.

good luck.

You can get a one day pass to the Restaurant Depot if you are a member of the Kansas City Barbeque Society. On the KCBS members only page, click on "discounts," and then click on the Restaurant Depot logo for details.

I'm not sure if you're looking to join that place in particular or if you're just looking for good deals on kitchen equipment and tools. If it's the latter, check out http://www.google.com/#hl=en&s...&fp=8aaa6cd686868282 and you'll find several restaurant supply stores in your area. All of the ones in my area are open to the public (it's just most of the public doesn't know they're there).

They just opened a location in Indianapolis, IN. I went this am. AWESOME!!!
If anyone in the IND area wants to go, shoot me a message and I will be glad to take you!

Rob

Membership is also open to non-profit groups. I can get in using that option. RD is a restaurant supply operation, so product is geared to that industry. You'll find larger sizes than you usually want to purchase. I found their meat to be reasonably priced but no smoking deals. The spice section IMO was typical bottled fair; all dried and who knows how old it was.
If you're going to look at meat...take a jacket.
True! The Austin TX location has a rack of jackets outside the meat locker, which is quite large, for customers to borrow.

Paul

Originally posted by RobV727:
They just opened a location in Indianapolis, IN. I went this am. AWESOME!!!
If anyone in the IND area wants to go, shoot me a message and I will be glad to take you!

Rob

That's the location I'm interested in. Looking at your profile I can see it's obvious you had no trouble getting in. When my office was in Broad Ripple (we moved about a year after you opened) I shopped at your place a few times. Glad to see you've lasted and expanded.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of creditials did they ask for? I have my incorporation papers, a company credit card, etc. and wondered if that would get me in.

I'm pretty much only interested in meat, but I tend to stray in places like that. Costco always seems to get more money than I intended when I shop there.

Hi Greg:

I gave them a copy of my retail certificate and dealer permit for IN and they were OK with it. If you have any trouble, let me know and when I'm around, you can come in with me! Where did you move the office to?

I can't believe we've been here for almost 5 years already!

Originally posted by RobV727:
Hi Greg:

I gave them a copy of my retail certificate and dealer permit for IN and they were OK with it. If you have any trouble, let me know and when I'm around, you can come in with me! Where did you move the office to?

I can't believe we've been here for almost 5 years already!

We moved from a small spot near the ave&monon to Castleton. We expanded once there and we're outgrowing our space...now we wish we were back in our smaller space.

I may give it a shot but we lack a retail cert. since we aren't required to collect sales tax. That and my lack of smoothness will likely be my downfall. I'll give it a shot though.

Thanks for the offer for help, but if I can't get in on a regular basis on my terms I'd rather not know what's inside.

Stopped by the one in San Jose today. Gotta go back with my business license so I can buy. Amazing stuff.

Regards,
Chris

I go to one in NJ. I get tingly all over when I go into the meat section.
icon_biggrin.gif

Will a tax ID number from any type of business work? I have a business, it's just not related to food in any way.

I am the concessions co-ordinator for the softball league here in my city. I have been pricing equipment and supplys for the new snack shack that is being built on our new feilds. So far they have the best pricing and there is one in Needham, about a half hour away. I've already been given a budget and a tax ID#. I have only checked them out on line but plan on taking a road trip there soon.

Originally posted by Marty M.:
Will a tax ID number from any type of business work? I have a business, it's just not related to food in any way.
There's only one way to find out. I recommend that you just apply and hand them the papers with a straight face. It's up to them to accept or not. Good luck.

Originally posted by Greg M.:
We just had one open and I'm interested in joining. I am a partner in a small consulting firm but it is clear from the name that we are not affiliated with the restaurant community. Does anyone know my chances of scoring a membership?

Also, what items are good to purchase there with respect to recreational cooking? Thanks.

No problem getting a membership.

The only things I've got from there realted to "Recreational COoking" are: A Big Cutting board. Hvy Duty Tin Foil. Aluminum Baking Pans (for holdin "Q"). Royal Oak lump (good Price too. $8.50/20#'s). Some spices as well. Meat is very expensive. Have got better product and better prices at BJ's (this actually blew me away when I found this out. $1.69-$1.89 lb. for pork spares at BJ's. $3.99 lb at Rest. Depot).

Originally posted by Keith Wilson:
No problem getting a membership.

The only things I've got from there realted to "Recreational COoking" are: A Big Cutting board. Hvy Duty Tin Foil. Aluminum Baking Pans (for holdin "Q"). Royal Oak lump (good Price too. $8.50/20#'s). Some spices as well. Meat is very expensive. Have got better product and better prices at BJ's (this actually blew me away when I found this out. $1.69-$1.89 lb. for pork spares at BJ's. $3.99 lb at Rest. Depot).

Thanks for the information. That's a great price on the chunk charcoal. I'm looking for full pans too. How much were they each and did you also get lids for them?

Back