Restaurant Depot

Originally posted by Marty M.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keith Wilson:
No problem getting a membership.

The only things I've got from there realted to "Recreational COoking" are: A Big Cutting board. Hvy Duty Tin Foil. Aluminum Baking Pans (for holdin "Q"). Royal Oak lump (good Price too. $8.50/20#'s). Some spices as well. Meat is very expensive. Have got better product and better prices at BJ's (this actually blew me away when I found this out. $1.69-$1.89 lb. for pork spares at BJ's. $3.99 lb at Rest. Depot).

Thanks for the information. That's a great price on the chunk charcoal. I'm looking for full pans too. How much were they each and did you also get lids for them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I honestly don't remember. It was a while ago. They were on special. I got the tin foil. Thats what I use for a cover on them.

Royal Oak lump (good Price too. $8.50/20#'s
I saw that in NJ. It was made in Paraguay. I prefer their US made lump; better quality, so I picked up two 10 lb bags of RO/US-made at Wallyworld for $6.50 ea.

interesting the variations by store.

the RO lump I get for $8 a bag is 17.6 lbs, and is the American made RO lump.

Im running low on that and ribs, need to make a trip this upcoming week to stock up.

$1.69-$1.89 lb. for pork spares at BJ's. $3.99 lb at Rest. Depot).

spares are $1.59 - $1.79 lb @ my RD. Babybacks arn't even $3.99. they are $2.49 - $2.79/lb.

really interesting the price differences in different areas of the country.

Originally posted by Keith Wilson:
I've got the Paraguay, Argentinian and American R.O. Lump there. Currently they have the American (at mine)
Same with mine. It will vary unpredictably. When I see the American origin lump I stock up.

Originally posted by Jim Quinn:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> $1.69-$1.89 lb. for pork spares at BJ's. $3.99 lb at Rest. Depot).

spares are $1.59 - $1.79 lb @ my RD. Babybacks arn't even $3.99. they are $2.49 - $2.79/lb.

really interesting the price differences in different areas of the country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah it is... I even asked if they mis-labeled them.

Originally posted by Keith Wilson:

The last time I was at RD (about 6 weeks ago) I got full spares for $1.54/lb. I am thinking that 3.99 is a misprint.
I think there meat pices are very good, $2.09/lb for CAB choice brisket.

Originally posted by Bill Gillespie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keith Wilson:

The last time I was at RD (about 6 weeks ago) I got full spares for $1.54/lb. I am thinking that 3.99 is a misprint.
I think there meat pices are very good, $2.09/lb for CAB choice brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It had to have been. Thats just crazy. I haven't checked since. I'll look again the next time I'm in there.

Today I went to the Restaurant Depot in San Jose with business license in hand and asked for a membership. The manager asked about the details of my website and how often I'd be buying and how much I'd be buying. Since I was not going to be a volume buyer, he would not give me a membership card. However, he said I could come in anytime and get a one-day pass. He gave me one and I went shopping...got some beef ribs that I will cook tomorrow.

Regards,
Chris

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Today I went to the Restaurant Depot in San Jose with business license in hand and asked for a membership. The manager asked about the details of my website and how often I'd be buying and how much I'd be buying. Since I was not going to be a volume buyer, he would not give me a membership card. However, he said I could come in anytime and get a one-day pass. He gave me one and I went shopping...got some beef ribs that I will cook tomorrow.

Regards,
Chris

that too bad Chris,

I set up a catering business in January that hasnt sold anything yet(just doing menu planning stuff now), and preregistered online and had the paperwork waiting for me. All I had to do was show my state of Illinois tax id Certificate and was good to go.

pre registering online may be the way to go, plus you get a $25 off your firtst purchase coupon when you do.

Originally posted by J Reyes:
I also visited the San Jose RD in the past and it is huge. If there's a Cash and Carry in your area, you may also want to check that out. Smaller but no membership required.

http://www.smartfoodservice.com/

John

Does anyone know if Cash & Carry is open to the public? Their website says you have to provide a tax ID or proof of being a non-profit but a friend of mine (who has neither) says he's shopped at the one near him maybe a dozen times in the past two years. Does the policy maybe vary by location?

cash and carry also known as smart and final are open to the public. tax id is if its for resale and you don't need to pay the taxes.

thats how it goes with the KCBS memebership. It doesn't bother me any, its just an extra second to have them write me a pass.

I just picked up a 12 pound corned packer for less than 20 bucks. and everytime I go there I don't leave for home without a pack of hangers for a buck eighty a pound
icon_eek.gif

Originally posted by Jim Quinn:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:

Regards,
Chris

pre registering online may be the way to go, plus you get a $25 off your firtst purchase coupon when you do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I didn't mention it, but that's what I did. I presented my print-out from registering online along with my license, but the license indicates the type of business as "OTHER PROF/SCIENTIFIC/TECH SERV". I'm sure if it said "CATERING" or "RESTAURANT" I would have been fine.

Regards,
Chris

I'm sure if it said "CATERING" or "RESTAURANT"

Chris, I'm thinking Photoshop could fix that. (grin)

How does the KCBS day pass work if you don't have a tax ID? Do they charge you sales tax?

How many day passes can you get from KCBS? Do you just get in once, or can you go back in a few months?

Back