Quick Vortex gametime wings

JPowers

TVWBB Fan
Ran to the grocery store early this morning and picked up some wings. Rinsed and trimmed off the tips and then applied the seasoning. Did half in Weber Honey Garlic and the other half in Frank's RedHot dry seasoning. They had sone airchilled leg quarters for super cheap so picked up a couple in a package for 2 bucks. Just applied some Weber Kickin Chicken on those. Let them sit for a couple of hours in the fridge.
Around 11AM, I lit 3/4 of a Weber Chimney with KBB. Fully engaged around 11:20; so I dumped them in the Vortex on the OTG. I put the HG wings on the left and the Frank's on the right.

Checked them every 15 minutes and rotated the lid. They were ready to come off right after the Saints scored their first TD (about 45-50 minutes) Gotta love DVR, makes watching live sports so much more enjoyable. These came out really well. Skin was very crispy, but super moist inside. The Franks's batch was delicious, but next time I'd cut back a little on the seasoning (a hair salty, and I'm a salt monkey). A little sauce to dunk in would have been nice too. Prefer to dunk than apply on the grill to maintain the crispy skin. The Honey Garlic wings were good, but not great. Much prefer the Kickin Chicken spice. Haven't tried the leg quarters yet. I'm saving them for a couple lunches at work.

The Saints won too!

Last edited:
Those look great, so did the Saint's. I wouldn't be worried about the sauce having much of an effect on the skin. I usually put my sauce in a large stainless bowl and spin the wings in it right at the end. I put them back on for maybe 10 minutes and then go to town. The Vortex works wonders on wings.

JPowers;
Those chicken parts look GREAT!

I, too, now grill all of my chicken parts using the Vortex + Performer (or my homemade Vortex using the Jumbo Joe) and sometimes, both. I have decided that it is THE way for me... I am also a fan of Weber's Kick 'n Chicken rub - really seriously "good stuff".

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:

Back