Question regarding year of Genesis 1000

DSBroussard

It's really neat to find a group of people who are so enthusiastic about such a truly iconic brand. My wife thinks I'm wierd to want to collect and restore grills. It's just rare to find anything these days that are even worth restoring. So much respect to weber. I have restores a few kettles and finally I scored a Red Head Genesis 1000 for $35 on CL. Only had to drive 35 minutes to get it. It even came with the original manual. The manual references 1994 but I think that's just a trademark registering date. The serial number is EZ 129468. What year was this manufactured?

It's really neat to find a group of people who are so enthusiastic about such a truly iconic brand. My wife thinks I'm wierd to want to collect and restore grills. It's just rare to find anything these days that are even worth restoring. So much respect to weber. I have restores a few kettles and finally I scored a Red Head Genesis 1000 for $35 on CL. Only had to drive 35 minutes to get it. It even came with the original manual. The manual references 1994 but I think that's just a trademark registering date. The serial number is EZ 129468. What year was this manufactured?

Yeah, my wife is about ready to commit me... Currently I have 6 genesis' in the garage, mostly restored. I've been working on mostly the older ones. and have come across a few manuals and ads. The Genesis supposedly debuted around 1985, however they didn't get the patent for it until 1987. I've seen ads introducing the Genesis dated 1989. The big difference between the 1-5 series and the 1000-5000 series is the caster wheels, which the 1000 series has. From what I can tell it looks like 1993-1994 was the first years of the 1000-5000 series grills. Also, I know that there is a way to figure out the age of the grill if you look under the firebox. I've seen a 1994 grill stamped with an A and a 1997 grill stamped AA. Not sure if there is a pattern, but as I've been flipping them over I've been making a note of the box code. I'm hoping that will tell me the age of the gassers. If anyone else has had the same or different info, please share. It would be really cool if we could age these grills as easily as the kettles are.

I didn't look for the code/serial number on the grill itself yet. I scored it from CL for $35 and it came with the owners manual which is in brand new condition. The number was in the manual. A sticker stamped and stuck on a page. I called weber and the customer service lady confirmed that it was manufactured in 1997. She asked if I would like to register it. I told I was not the original owner. She said, " I understand, but please let me register it for you, it will allow us to help you better if you call us back." I am amazed by their sincere customer service. We're talking about a sale made 16 years ago which is now passed to a second owner and they are still concerned about after the sale service. I find it to be amazing. She informed me that I may have one of the last classic redheads to ever come off the line. The classic red was discontinued in 1997. Hopefully I will soon have some time to get in my shed and get some before pics start working on it. I will need to do some work on the cart frame. There are a few really bad rust spots. I plan on cutting out the bad sections and inserting new square tubing by welding and buffering it in then painting over it.

Anyone have an in tact Genesis 1000 cart for sale?

My uncle had one of the first red genesis that I remember seeing. He bought in in Spring of 1995. It is still in use by the way.

What frame part do you need? I have a couple for parts and might have what you need. Cost of shipping is all I ask.

I'll get some pics and send them to you. The frame that is on the sides of the fire box which connects the front to the back, both are rusted out really bad. I also have a few rusted out areas near the wheels.

My uncle had one of the first red genesis that I remember seeing. He bought in in Spring of 1995. It is still in use by the way.

I love the classic red. All cleaned up with new wood, it's really nostalgic looking. I can't wait to get my genesis refurbished. There are some a lot of you guys out there who have done some great work on theirs. It's definitely motivating.

I love the classic red. All cleaned up with new wood, it's really nostalgic looking. I can't wait to get my genesis refurbished. There are some a lot of you guys out there who have done some great work on theirs. It's definitely motivating.
My dad has my Genesis 2 in red that I bought at The Home Depot back in 1992, I think. It's still going strong for him. I always tell him, never, never, NEVER give this grill away without consulting with me first! :)

Good luck with your project! There are some nice threads in this forum of redhead restorations...these should inspire you:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?13475-Finally-finished-my-gasser-restore
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?42653-My-94-Genesis-3000-Restore
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?40813-Genesis-1000-redhead-(1992)
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?38383-My-Genesis-1000-rebuild-(its-a-redhead-now!)
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?36238-Genesis-1000-rehab

Back