Finally finished my gasser restore

JustinL

TVWBB Pro
Here is a follow up to my previous posting here.

This morning I finally got around to finishing my 3000 that I picked up on craigslist so here are a few pics of the finished product.

PB063181.jpg

PB063184.jpg

PB063187.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Last edited:
Outstanding job Justin,
13.gif

I agree with Kevin, It looks Brand new. If you don't mind me asking, what was the total investment? I know you started with a $25 CL find.

Thanks everybody,

I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Mac, I didn't track it too closely but I figure I spent about $140 on parts and what not + $25 for the BBQ + $50 for propane tank = $215 total. Could have saved a little but I didn't plan things out very well so I had to get a couple orders from weber so they got me on shipping.

According to Weber mine was produce in late '98. Does anybody happen to remember what the 3000's went for back then? I would love to be able to give my better half a closer estimate
icon_wink.gif

Thanks,

That's a rig built for some SERIOUS grilling!

Nice job, man! Can't help you with the prices, but I know that Weber Genesis Gas Grills have NEVER been inexpensive. I would guess that even then, you were probably talking about $500-plus / MUCH more in todays dollars. (I think that my stripped-down Spirit would have been around $300 - it's about the same vintage.)

Justin
I can't tell you the exact price of a 3000, but I purchashed my Genesis platinum series I (fancy version with stainless steel flavor bars and grey durawood [plastic wood], sold in department stores) it started as a 1200 and for christmas my father got me a side burner which converted it to the platinum equivlent of a 3000
Cost 1200 was $599 and the side burner was about $300.
this is as close as I can get

BTW I still have the original grill I got in 98 and have only added a starter and ss grates. I also still have the sales card that was attached to the grill (this has the price sticker still on it) I also still have all of the documentation that it came with

regards

Justin you did a fine job on that Genesis 3000. What kind of wood did you use and did you buff the red or repaint. As far as the price goes that unit was north of a Grand in Canada in 1998.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Very Nice Work Justin!</span>
<span class="ev_code_RED">Very VERY Nice!!</span>
<span class="ev_code_RED">You should be PROUD!</span>

Thanks again everybody,

Dave,
I used pine for the wood. I had planned on teak but wasn't able to find it, plus pine was much cheaper. I cut it to length, sanded, and coated with 3 layers of Spar Varnish. I liked the look of the handle so I just sanded it down and coated it also with 3 coats of spar varnish. It is a little darker than the new wood but not enough to bother me. As for the red I just cleaned it up with 0000 steel wool and 409 cleaner. This is how I cleaned pretty much the whole BBQ and it worked really well. Also for the firebox and sides of the lid I sanded down the old paint and repainted with two layers of high heat rustoleum.

Steve,

Will do!
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JustinL:
According to Weber mine was produce in late '98. Does anybody happen to remember what the 3000's went for back then? I would love to be able to give my better half a closer estimate
icon_wink.gif

Thanks, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was ordering a couple of parts the other day and while I was on the phone with Weber I was asking about retail pricing on older models. They can pull up suggested retail on your specific grill. Nice job on the restore!

Nice job! Inspiration for me as I'm picking this up tomorrow and I plan on restoring it for a friend. The seller originally posted it for $100 which includes a rotisserie. Then she realized the side table is missing and there is some rust on the flavorizer bars & grate. She said I could have it for free!

beautiful job.........way better then a new one. I love keeping older items and putting them to use. Helps keep our landfills clean too.

JustinL,

I have a price list of all 1999 weber products and the Genesis 3000 went for $749. Appears in 99 only Black & Red were color options at least on the price list I have and it did not matter whether it was LP or NG price was the same.

Jeff

Back