Pork Shoulder Boston Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. On my brisket smoke I was able to hold that temp at 230-237 for most of the cook. Granted, it wasn't an overnighter.

Just to be safe, I think I budget 14-16 hours for this cook. If it gets down early I guess my wife will miss out on the "pulling party*

Rath *prays that his daughter and her boyfriend are home for the "pulling party"

Update:
Good News! The ET-73 should arrive Thursday. Bad News, UPS usually doesn't deliver til 3-6pm. 1 to 4 hours after the cook /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Just my luck! LOL

Rath *thinks about driving around and hijacking the UPS truck*

GRRRR!!!!

Heavy thunder storms rolling in today, getting worse overnight and into tomorrow. Looks like I will have to push back my cook to Thursday night.

Spares coming off the menu, to make room for the beef ribs, now on Saturday.

Rath *Happy that the ET-73 will be here for the butts*

Had a break in the weather and the storms missed me(I hope!). Started the butts at 10pm and by 11:15pm the temp was 235. I did both butts in the mustard slathered recipe and am monitoring the temp at the top grate.

Top vent is open and the bottom 3 are at 25%. I am using Hickory chips (2 cups soaked and wrapped in foil) and some dry chips scattered at different levels in the charcoal.

I am doing the MM and started with 20 lit coals on top. Water in the pan (hot) and I have pretty good smoke going now.

Rath *hoping the rains hold off*

Good luck, I hope you manage to stay dry. I haven't yet tried an overnight cook, but as I'm on my own this week (my wife is out of town visiting relatives), and have 2 butts thawing in the refrigerator, Saturday night may be my first.

You'll be fine. The rain shouldn't be a problem. None will survive a drip through the upper vents, and what hits the dome will evaporate away really fast. That is, of course, unless you are experiencing a hurricane or something.

I would worry about the wind. Is there any way to shelter the WSM if it picks up? Perhaps you already have it positioned in a screened in area?

Chet

Thanks guys. It's now 0130 and the temp is 242 and seems steady. I took the precaution of making a 3 sided wind screen simlar to the one pictured on this site.

As to the rain, Chet, I guess you've never seen a good South Jersey cloud burst. They've been known to wash away small unsuspecting cars...LOL 2 to 3" of rain was predicted to fall for tonight and just south of me got hit pretty hard. Flood warnings were in effect.

But I'm happy to report that I'm dry and things are going well. I had the temp get up to 255, so right now I've closed 1 botton vent and have the other 2 at 25%. I will monitor it till it stablizes and then I'm off to bed.

Larry, good luck with your overnighter. So far, doesn't seem that difficult. The WSM is indeed everything everyone has been raving about.

There will be updates with (hopefully!) pictures.

Rath *Loves smelling like smoke*

Well, it's 07:20 and I've just got done turning and basting. I awoke at 06:45 and the temp was 228. I had to wait til 07:00 for my baster(wife) to get up...LOL. I snapped a picture and will upload it with my next post.

I put more water in(brinkmann pan not here yet /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif )and gently stirred the coals. So far, everything seems to be going smooothly.

Rath *7 hours +/- to go! *

10:00 am and basted and shook some ash. Wind picked up a little and temp went to 253. Closed 1 bottom vent, second at 10% and third at 25%.

Temp steady at 248.

Rath *making East Carolina Sauce*

2:00 pm and I pulled the butts of the WSM. Internal temp. was 195. Here's a last look before they go in the cooler.

Thanks for all the support friends! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I'll let you know how they taste in a few hours after the pull party.

Rath *can't wait to eat!! *

Rath, how do you get the link to say "final basting" and be the link at the same time. I used your suggestion and got space on ripway. Appreciate the computer class!!

Thanks Paul and Greg. I hope they taste as good as they look!!

Greg, once you upload the pic, copy the url. Then when you post, there are buttons above the text box. Click on the one that says URL and a drop down box with 2 widows appears, one that say URL and the other title.

Paste your URL in the URL box(for some reason I have to use CNTL+V to paste) and then in the title box type whatever you want ie: "Final Basting"

If I can be of anymore help, just let me know.

Rath *15 minutes from his first pull*

Rath,

Looks like you have a lot of hungry folks following your progress. I clicked on your link and got

"Ripway Web Hosting
--------------------
Download Blocked - User Transfer Limit Exceeded "

We are all enthralled and my stomach is growling.

Chet

Rath, got the links to post the way they should...thanks for the help...where are those updated pics, you're killing me /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Well, according to Chet, I've exceeded my daily limit so it will be til midnight before Ripway will allow you fine folks to see them.

Rath *needs more than 5mb of download allowance*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back