Pork butt injection

Paige Anders

TVWBB Fan
Tomorrow morning I'm putting a 9.5 lb butt on the WSM for my sons birthday party. Plan is to have it on by 7 am and come home on my lunch break to wrap it. Party starts at 5:30 eating at 6. I have never injected one before but was thinking about doing so. Anyone out there have some good injection recipes? Thanks in advance!

I did a butt today and used this injection. 1 cup apple juice, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/8 cup of salt. I like it.... compliments the meat nicely.

Thanks Mike! Do you heat everything to dissolve the salts and sugar? Also do should I inject the night before or before I put it on the smoker?

Last edited:
Thanks Mike! Do you heat everything to dissolve the salts and sugar? Also do should I inject the night before or before I put it on the smoker?

Never done it before but I think I've read that you should inject and go on the smoker within a few hours (3-5?). If you let the injection sit overnight I think the meat can leak and you lose the injection. I believe that is what I read someplace.

I heat everything in a pot to dissolve everything, then I inject the meat and put the rub on while the smoker is coming up to temp. Once the smokers ready, I put the butt on

Dr BBQ's first book has one with pineapple juice that I was going to try soon. How's that work?

I believe pineapple juice has a chemical in it called "bromelain" (spelling?) that breaks down meat and can turn it to mush. I don't believe anyone uses pineapple in their pork injection. Most teams use apple juice or peach juice.

Back