Smoking a fine Boston Butt on the WSM, Harry Soo style...

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
PICTURES!! Smoking a fine Boston Butt on the WSM, Harry Soo style...

I have watched Harry Soo on Pitmasters and watched him on this forum. He has many admirable traits. In particular, I admire his willingness to share with us.

I used his published recipe to smoke a Boston Butt this morning. The Butt weighed 8.7 lbs and was natural pork from our Indiana Supplier (it has been my experience that Hoosiers know their pork:D. At any rate this was a lovely pork butt and required minimal trimming. I took pictures but Photobucket is changing my email address and my account is not available just yet. Hopefully, it'll be available tomorrow and I'll add the pictures.

At any rate, this is my first butt to inject. I followed Harry's advice as near as possible (I did not have one ingredient but that one was optional. My hot sauce of choice was Sriracha Sauce. It worked quite well. His injection called for a mixture of Apple juice (see his reports on this forum) and he also recommended a mop after the butt was foiled. At about 160 degrees internal, I put in a foil pan and tightly foiled. This was not done until the bark was set. After putting the butt in the pan, I poured the mop over the butt (as instructed). It took nine hours just about on the nose (but who was keeping score?). I ran the WSM 18.5" at 250 degrees. It was amazing how little it deviated from that temperature. I used my Maverick 732 and appreciated just like the first time I used it. It takes a lot of pain out of running a long cook. I used the meat internal temperature until the butt was nearly done then I just kept testing with a fork and when it was pullable (temp was just over 200 degrees) we removed it and let it rest about an hour before we pulled it.

I used the tin can minion method and did not have to add any charcoal after the initial charge (two chimneys of unlit with twelve lit coals in the IKEA silver ware caddy and dumped in the tin can. I then removed the tin can with a dedicated pair of water pump pliers and removed the butt from the refrigerator and put on the WSM when the temperature hit 200 (15 or 20 minutes after dumping the lit coals). I caught the temperature on the way up and slightly closed the top vent, two bottom vents and left the third one about 20% open. The temperature quickly stabilized at 250 degrees and varied only slightly for the rest of the cook. I used Kingsford Original charcoal and had no problems whatsoever...

I kept a log as it will be interesting down the pike. I used no water but foiled the dry pan (leaving room for any grease that missed the throw away pan on the bottom food grate). My wife pulled the pork and I have to say, this was the best pulled pork I have eaten.

I would like to thank Harry Soo for his recipe, tips, and help. Also thanks to Chris for having this great web site. Hopefully, I'll be able to post the pictures tomorrow.

Lighting 12 coals in the IKEA silverware caddy:

The empty tin can in the charcoal, along with smoke wood (apple), waiting for the lit coals:

I dumped the caddy into the tin can:

I grabbed the tin can with pliers and lifted it out leaving the correct amount of coals in the middle of the charcoal (Tin Can Minion Method):

The injected and rubbed Boston Butt just after it was laid on the smoker:

The butt after five hours on the WSM (when the bark was set, I foiled it in a throw-a-way aluminum pan and tightly covered it with heavy duty foil until done):

The "Good Stuff" after pulling. This was bagged until my son and family arrives early next week from North Carolina:

NOTE (a day later): We had pulled pork for supper tonight and it was SUPER. Thank you, Harry Soo! This method is NOW my own:wsm:.

Thanks for listening (my reward comes at supper tomorrow night - yep, we're having pulled pork sliders!

FWIW
Dale53

Last edited:
Robert,

Congratulations ! Sounds like everything went as planned.
Truly believe if one follows Harry's methods, you will have a winner every time.
Looking forward to your photos.

Well documented cook. Sounds like a text book run on the WSM. I look forward to your photos to add to the narrative as well.

Robert,
The pictures of the cook match your description... True BBQ Excellence !
Great Job !!!

Thanks for the kind comments. Of course, the "Proof is in the eating" - well, I am here to tell you, it is only WONDERFUL!!:cool:

Here's "Smokin' to you all!":wsm:

Dale53

Only thing I would add/say is that most folks do not touch the top vent at all. If you need to close/open vents to adj temps, I would use the bottom ones only.

That looks fantastic. Its been a month since my last butt and I think its time to cook another. Well done.

I have just one problem. My guests ate nearly every bit of the pulled pork with a MOST satisfied look on their face. Oh gee! I guess I'll have to do another one:eek:...(I like to keep it on hand for spontaneous use).

:wsm:

Dale53

Robert,
Only one way to correct the left overs issue... :wsm:
Wishing you the very best on the repeat performance !

Back