Polder Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Etheridge

TVWBB Super Fan
OK, so I'm smack in the middle of cooking BRITU and I walk outside to check my temps and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, my Polder (the dual probe type) starts acting funny...it jumps from about 169 to 181 and never comes back down. I remove it from the meat and let it cool down for about a half hour, check it, and now it's reading 194!! (both probes are reading way high) Well $h!t, this is only the second time I've used the thing and it's already crapped out. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif But wait, I turn it on last night and it's reading room temperature. Anyone ever had this happen to them? Thoughts on what made it do that?
-------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Mark, it sounds as though you may have gotten water in the probe. You can make them water resistant by placing them in a pan of 250?F oil for about 10 to 15 minutes. Keep the wire-to-probe connection joint higher than the tip, so any air or water can bubble out. If the probe already has water in it, heat it in a 325?F oven for an hour, or so, and then hang it, probe end up, to allow evaporation and cooling. Then, perform the oil 'seasoning' treatment on it. Never put the probe in a dishwasher; wash it carefully, by hand.

Thanks Ray, I kinda figured water may have gotten in there somehow.

As far as this oil treatment goes, how exactly does that make the probe water resistant? Do I submerse the probe in the oil until it is completely covered? I assume by 'oil' you mean cooking oil.?

Thanks again
---------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

I've read nothing but bad comments about the new Polder dual temp probe on the BBQ Forum. Doesn't sound like this unit is ready for prime time.

For those that aren't aware, this is a new Polder model that measures both internal meat temp and cooker temp using a single probe. You can read about it here.

Regards,
Chris

I have a duel probe remote thermometer from Maverick, and it also has a tendency to work only when it wants to. Does anyone have any experience with the new Polder that Chris mentions above? Good or bad? thanks, Steve

I had one of the dual sensor probe polders go bad on me the first time I used it. The part of the probe that indicated the oven (smoker) temperature still worked, but the meat temperature sensor part of the probe would show about 200 degrees high. It started out working fine but about half way into my cook the meat temperature skyrocketed. I ended up returning it for a refund.

I had burned through a couple of poulder probes whill roasting on the grill and thought maybe it ws the brand so I bought a taylor at Target that was similar and burned it out too but with taylor I called the number on the instructions and they sent a replacement probe free once if I burn it out again they said it would be $2.50 plus shipping. Dont know if that helps with the poulder dual probe but thought I'd through it out there. My problem is whoile roasting my Grill got above 385 and shorted the probe to read hi temp constantly

Hi, Mark. Yes, you submerge the metal probe tip so that the junction between it and the cable is covered with hot cooking oil. The purpose is to remove any water moisture, replacing it with oil, which will coat the wires. Some of the oil will remain inside the probe, making it resist the shorting and corrosive effects of water.

Also I heard that the Polder and Taylor digital thermometer probes (not the dual) are interchangeable. I was told that one manufacturer makes these probe units for EVERYBODY.

Regards,
PrestonD

Was unable to get accurate readings with my Polder. It registered grate temps just fine, but was worthless as a probe, giving wildly exaggerated readings, because the sensitive monitor part was located past the elbow up near where the cable enters. I figured this out by messing with the probe in a quart of boiling water, slowly lowering it until it read correctly.

Dean,

Exagerated measurements are a sign of a bad probe. You can order a replacement direct from Polder at 800-431-2133 ext. 245 for about $10.

A properly functioning Polder probe is accurate to within +/- a few degrees and gives accurate measurements in meat as well as inside your cooker. The measurement is taken in the first 1/2" of the probe, at the pointed end.

Regards,
Chris

Darn it! I wish I read this thread before buying a Polder dual temp probe several weeks ago. The dual temp idea is such a good one. It worked great once and then died on me.

I'm not thrilled with Polder's customer service, either. Emailed them, never heard back. Sent the probe back in for replacement, that was several weeks ago, haven't heard from them. Frankly I'll be surprised if they DO replace it or if I EVER hear back from them.

$35 down the drain. I do NOT recommend buying this thermometer until the bugs are ironed out. I am amazed that the technology exists to send humans into orbit and yet a reasonably priced, durable thermometer is not a reality.

Theresa

I have a Polder dual probe thermometer on backorder at Amazon. It's supposed to ship in a week or two. I read some of the comments here and the reviews on Amazon and it doesn't sound like the barbecuer's dream. I'm tempted to cancel my order.

Before I do, can I get a round of comments on this device? Has ANYONE had a good experience (some Amazon reviews are good)? Bad experiences? Can you direct me to other reviews? Can we get a review on the VWB site?

One Amazon review said he called Polder customer service (which seems be be uniformly panned) and was told this thermometer was never intended to be used in a smoker. Instead, it is supposed to be used only as an instant read thermometer! Then why does it have a 10 hour timer??? Go figure.

Please respond as soon as you can.

Here is an update to the message I posted the other day.

I got a couple of emails from Polder today. Considering the bad things I heard about their customer service, I have to give them credit for responding to me so quickly!

However, I'm still confused by their answer to my question about using the Polder Dual Thermometer in the Weber. In response to my query that I'd read that the Polder can only be used as an instant read thermometer in the Weber, they replied:

"YES THIS IS TRUE YOU CAN USED IT AS AN INSTANT READING IN THE BARBECUE GRILL AND YOU CAN LEAVE IT IN THE OVEN."

When I followed up as to why it can't be used to continuously monitor the temperature in the Weber but can in an oven, they responded:

"BEACUSE THE WIRE CAN GET OVER HEATED WITH THE HOT HEAT THAT THE SMOKER WILL PRODUCE."

Ooooh - kay. Anyone want to guess what they mean by this? Maybe they assume people make barbecue in a blast furnace.

I'm going to go ahead and get the dual thermometer. First, I'll use it in an oven and see if the probe gets fried at 375 degrees. Then, I'll use it in the Weber to see if it gets fried at 225 degrees. I don't understand why it can be used in one case but not the other.

Hmmm... My guess is that the operative word Polder is using here is "grill", and that they are also not using consistent terminology in responding to your particular query. Higher temps, such as those of a gas grill, charcoal-fired grill, or even a too-hot oven would unquestionably damage the probe. Even WSM temps above 429*-- I believe is the rating-- would cause failure. I always just wait until I'm certain my WSM is "in the zone" before inserting a probe thermo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PrestonD:
[qb] Also I heard that the Polder and Taylor digital thermometer probes (not the dual) are interchangeable. I was told that one manufacturer makes these probe units for EVERYBODY.

Regards,
PrestonD [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I use Polder and Pyrex. Same probe, interchangable.

A follow up on my original reply on this topic. I finally got a replacement dual temp probe from Polder a while back. It took forever, and it took constant calling and nagging from me to get to the right people in Polder to get me a warrenty replacement for the dual temp probe.

The replacement probe works fine so far, have used it several times, but I make sure that I only start using it when the wsm is in steady state 230 mode, and I run it through the top vent and do NOT place the lid on the wire. I put no pressure on the probe wire whatsoever. I personally believe using the dual temp probe when temps are high or unstable can fry the thing in no time.

All in all, I still think it's a great concept, but I was highly dissatisfied with the rude customer service I received from Polder when trying to replace the probe under warranty, and for the cost of the dual temp probe I would rather just buy two single temp Taylor thermometers.

One can never have too many thermometers.

Theresa

I threw my polder dual probe away in discust the other day. It was reading 100 degrees off it turned out. I just don't feel like having to worry about the status of the probe anymore. So, I mounted a large thermometer to my WSM to read dome temperatures and I use dial meat thermometers close to the end of a smoke to know when the internal temps are achieved. I would like to think there is such a thing as an accurate AND reliable digital thermometer but I swear they don't exist for a reasonable amount of money. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back